Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Silly question regarding scheduling

Im trying to extend my sons nursing sessions to only every 2 hrs as opposed to the hourly schedule we have going on.

Will it take awhile for my supply to figure this out? Or will I just have enough milk every 2 hrs?

He's about 4.5 months and usually eats for one letdown and then pulls off. If I try hard enough to get him back on, he usually just spits it back up, leading me to believe I made him overeat.

Maybe his stomach is too small to handle every 2 hrs? And needs to digest small amounts frequently?

I'm not overly opposed to it during the day really. But would like longer stretches at night. He usually eats every 2 hrs at night until 4/5 am when he starts wanting to eat hourly. Which is fine. Sorta. Just thinking of ways to make his life easier and mine too. He's always so fussy.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If it works that'd be great. I tried and tried with DD2 and it just made things worse, but someone had to have had better luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Silly question regarding scheduling

I know people frown upon it, but two of my three children preferred sleeping on their belly and would sleep a good 4-6 hour stretch when I started putting them to sleep that way (at around 3-4 months). We slept in the same room, btw.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
He is a belly sleeper.

I don't want to make it worse, that's for sure, mibarra!

I never could get DD to more than every 2 hrs and I stopped trying pretty early cause 2 hrs is fine. But she slept longer at night.

I am worried that his belly is just too small for larger more infrequent feedings (even though 2 hrs isn't THAT long) or that my supply isn't big enough for 2 hr feedings. Is it possible I really just make so little that he gets all he can and has to come back hourly?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

At that age I just nursed on demand while cosleeping. I rarely fully woke.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Honestly the main concern is how fussy he is. I keep thinking he's fussy because he's hungry.

Like he can't possibly be getting hindmilk.

His growth is still good, but it slowed a bit. He was bigger than his sister was, now he's smaller. I wonder if that's cause he mostly drinks foremilk.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 08-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Shortygirlga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby currently is 7weeks old EBF and goes 2-3hrs during day and 3-5hrs at night. Just giving u idea of other baby scheduling. Sorry if this doesn't help. Sounds like your baby just has fast metabolism, I'm sure your making plenty. Make sure your drinking lots of water. That helps me.
Shortygirlga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
barbara327
Registered Users
seller

My daughter nursed at least every two hours until she was about a year old. At that point she gave me 3 hours. We cosleep with her nestled right up against me and it was the only things that saved my sanity (well....at least some of my sanity. Good luck with whatever you do. Sounds like you are in-tune with what your baby needs and I'm sure you will figure out what is best. Doesn't hurt to try but just know some babes eat very frequently. Oh and my little one would stay latched on for 45 minutes at a time!
barbara327 is offline   Reply With Quote