Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
my milk is blue!?!?

So....
dd has not been nursing well all week. She is 11 months old. Like only a few times all week, maybe once a day, on one day she nursed just fine. She has been waking up screaming at night and has been fussy in general. She will drink cows milk from a sippy cup but will not nurse at all. I took her to the dr yesterday to make sure it wasn't her ears or anything and she checked out fine. Ped said maybe teeth, but he couldn't see any molars coming in (she has 8 teeth already) or maybe just weaning, but nothing really wrong with her.

I've pumped (with a hand pump) a few times, but didn't get much out. Tonight though my right side felt pretty engorged so I pumped, I figured I could at least try to give it to her in a sippy cup in the morning. I got 3 oz of bluish-greenish water!

What the heck?? Has this happened to anyone else? It doesn't look like milk at all. I tried taking a picture but the picture doesn't do it justice.

Advertisement

and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
http://breastfeeding.about.com/od/wh...reast-Milk.htm

Breast milk can be a variety of colors. Most of the time it's clear, white, bluish, tan or yellow. But at some point during the course of your breastfeeding experience, you may be surprised to find that your milk can be other colors as well.

In general, human milk tends to be clear or have a bluish tint when it first starts to flow, either in the beginning of a feeding or at the start of a pumping session. This is the lower-fat foremilk. As the feeding progresses from foremilk to hindmilk, the fat content increases and the milk becomes creamier and whiter. However, certain foods, herbs, nutritional supplements and medications can change the milk's color to shades of pink, orange, red, brown, green and even black. These additives can also alter the color of your urine or your baby’s urine.

Although it might be shocking and scary to see, the changes in the color of breast milk are usually diet-related and not at all dangerous.

Green Milk

Green milk can be produced after the ingestion of green foods or foods containing green dyes. Drinking green-colored beverages, eating spinach or seaweed, and taking certain herbs or supplements can turn breast milk green.

Pink, Orange, Red, and Brown Milk

Breast milk can take on a red, pink or orange hue from foods that are naturally red, pink, and orange in color or foods that contain red, yellow and orange food dyes. Beets, orange soda, and red or orange fruit drinks can cause your milk to turn different fruit drinks can cause your milk to turn different shades of pink, red and orange.

If blood from inside your breasts leaks into your milk ducts, the milk may appear brown and rust-colored. This is called rusty pipe syndrome because the milk looks like dirty water from an old rusty pipe. Sometimes a little bit of blood from cracked nipples will get into your milk and create red or pink streaks.

A small amount of blood in the milk supply is not harmful to your baby. There is no need to stop breastfeeding. In most cases, the bleeding will go away on its own in a few days. If the issue has not resolved after a week, check with your doctor.

Black Milk

The production of black milk has been linked to the antibiotic minocycline (Minocin). Minocycline also causes darkening of the skin. The use of minocycline is not recommended while you are nursing. Always let your doctor know that you are breastfeeding before taking any medication.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: my milk is blue!?!?

Interesting, I do eat a lot of kale/spinach.

Now that it has been sitting it is more green than blue.
and M
Old 08-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yeah, I totally didn't know that until I looked up your question. Was expecting something like milk changes when you get pregnant or something.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

One time I ate too many cheez-it's and it turned my milk a fluorescent yellow color. I was a bit freaked out by that one. I haven't eaten cheez-its since and it's been like 6 years.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The weird part was that there was no layer of the fat...just 3 oz of the watery blue stuff.
and M
Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
The weird part was that there was no layer of the fat...just 3 oz of the watery blue stuff.
It was probably a lot of foremilk with very little hindmilk. When you're more engorged, you have less fatty milk in the breast.

Here's an interesting link from Kellymom: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/