Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ETA: It's worse! Bedtime fuss?

ETA: It's getting worse! Now he is acting this way throughout the day. He will nurse for a couple minutes then start pulling off, crying, relatching, pulling off and fussing, but then if I try to stop thinking this means he's done he continues to fuss and root. sometimes i start to think it is a side preference, but he really does it on both. What the heck is going on?

DS2 is 4 months old and for the first few months bedtime was great, I would just nurse him to sleep, or til he was just drifting off and put him down.

But now he seems to be getting really fussy at bedtime and doesn't want to nurse? He'll cry and pull away and kick his legs. I know he's tired. Sometimes I think he's just not hungry, so I try a paci, but I can never get him to sleep that way although it sometimes calms him for awhile. Usually what happens is he fusses for a long time no matter what I do and then after awhile just seems to snap out of it and nurses to sleep.

Normal? Why the fuss?

Our nice, quiet bedtime has become quite stressful.

Advertisement

Last edited by marenmccoy; 09-01-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: update
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bedtime fuss?

Could he need a small nap just before bed? When my LOs have acted like that, they're overtired. If I try getting them down for a nap, they usually nap 20ish minutes then they wake up and are awake enough to nurse, play a bit and fall asleep.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi View Post
Could he need a small nap just before bed? When my LOs have acted like that, they're overtired. If I try getting them down for a nap, they usually nap 20ish minutes then they wake up and are awake enough to nurse, play a bit and fall asleep.
I thought he might be overtired except that I tried getting him ready for bed a little earlier and it still happened. Maybe I should be trying to get him to nap closer to bedtime, though, I'm always afraid this will result in a very awake baby in the evening.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Maybe he's a little overstimulated. As they get older they get more aware of what is going on. I know in my house the time between dinner and bed is CRAZY. Do you have a bedtime routine? This is a great age to start one. Bath, rub down with lotion, pjs, rocking in the chair with a lullaby, nurse, bed. A lot of people start putting their LO's down awake at this stage and let them drift off without nursing. I nursed all my boys down but my last. He'd go asleep if I left him in his bed. It was nice! I wonder if he'd just fuss in bed like he has been doing but then drift off and go to sleep? If you are open to it, might be worth a try and make bedtimes super easy in months to come.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon View Post
Maybe he's a little overstimulated. As they get older they get more aware of what is going on. I know in my house the time between dinner and bed is CRAZY. Do you have a bedtime routine? This is a great age to start one. Bath, rub down with lotion, pjs, rocking in the chair with a lullaby, nurse, bed. A lot of people start putting their LO's down awake at this stage and let them drift off without nursing. I nursed all my boys down but my last. He'd go asleep if I left him in his bed. It was nice! I wonder if he'd just fuss in bed like he has been doing but then drift off and go to sleep? If you are open to it, might be worth a try and make bedtimes super easy in months to come.
Yeah, overstimulated is a very real possibility. He has a 3.5 yo brother who brings chaos to our small apartment. We do have a bedtime routine...

As for the putting down awake thing, I don't think it's for him. I hear rumors some babies can do that, but not mine that I've seen.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

I have nursed six and went through this with everyone one of them. It's normal and will pass.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
RNmom926
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My daughter did this too. She was too tired to nurse. So I just rocked her to sleep with her paci and put her down. After she was asleep for about an hour I would pick her up and nurse her and put her right back down.
RNmom926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

There is a 4 month sleep regression. Sounds like that to me. It usually passes. I only have one child who stopped sleeping all together. He has PDD NOS though.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ETA: It's worse! Bedtime fuss?

aargh.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: ETA: It's worse! Bedtime fuss?

Could your supply be dipping? Ovulation coming back? I would keep trying to nurse and keep an eye on soiled diapers.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote