Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is it horrible to want to night wean early?

I don't think 7 months is early at all for night weaning.

Feed every 3-4 hours during the day and do whatever you can to make sure he gets FULL--meaning, he gets to that fatty hindmilk at the end. My solution is to do single sided nursing starting around 3-6? weeks of age (my youngest is almost 2, so I can't remember for sure). So if the baby pops off and seems full, I would burp her and then try to relatch on the same breast, and then another time again after that, before I called her "done".

I know that on days when I didn't push it like that, my babies would be up that night to eat (I mean, they ate every night as newborns, but this was later on). I made the connection with sleep after I had EBF my third child. I was just pushing for full feeds to avoid the dreaded "low supply low weight gain" that so many EBF mamas deal with, not to get more sleep. But in doing so, they all night weaned between 10 and 12 weeks on their own. I think they just got SO stuffed during the day, there was no need to eat at night.

And like lily221 said, the body can adapt to a wide variety of feeding schedules, as long as enough calories are offered. I have always felt there is a major benefit to having a long stretch of time each day when the whole body, digestive tract included, can rest.

Advertisement

Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Just to say that I understand how you feel. I got pregnant with DD#2 when DD#1 was 19 months old. I had to night wean her at 21 months old. I was torn about doing it but I just couldn't do it anymore. It took about a week. Her dad would take her and get her back to sleep. Hope you get something figured out!
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
You're clearly talking about a different set of boobs and a different tiny stomach
I'm not saying she should cold turkey her kiddo in one night. It took a few weeks of working up to this and soothing them back to sleep the first time they woke up. If they woke up again later, I would feed them. This didn't happen overnight
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums

I'm not saying she should cold turkey her kiddo in one night. It took a few weeks of working up to this and soothing them back to sleep the first time they woke up. If they woke up again later, I would feed them. This didn't happen overnight
Oh, I know

Its just my son sounds very similar to hers (minus the 4-5 hr stretches during the day). And im now convinced his stomach and my supply must be the same. He can't handle much at a time and I don't have a whole bunch to give at a time.

I might be wrong.

I didn't mean it to sound rude and I apologize if it came off that way.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Night wean. It's fine
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! So many great ideas and awesome support from you wonderful ladies! I have been so busy I haven't had the chance to get onto DS until now but these are all very valid points and great suggestions. I will definitely try offering more feedings more during the day! Does anyone have experience with night weaning while co-sleeping. We have co-slept since 2 weeks old and I'm wondering if it would be easier to transition him to his own crib/bed at this point as well?
fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

If you want to continue cosleeping, I'm a big fan of the Pantley pull-off (she is the author of the no cry sleep solution) for night weaning. I have no experience with a smaller baby but it worked well for my toddler. You can google it, or it is in the book. Not an overnight fix, though.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote