Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

City Mini Double

Is there any compelling reason NOT to get this particular double stroller? Is there a good price point to keep in mind for a good used one on Craigslist or should it be bought new?

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I can't speak for the double but the City Mini GT turned out to be very disappointing. The basket is hard to access, I have a hard time getting stuff in and out. I took it on the beach and sand got in the gears so now it makes an awful clicking noises and veers right. The company has been helpful in getting the wheels replaced but when they said that the brake assembly needs to be replaced, it sounded like more trouble than its worth because I want to replace it for a more narrow and lighter stroller anyways.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know that some people love them but honestly... I'm not a fan! Ill start off by saying that, yes, they do turn on a dime and are very easy to fold BUT..... Here's why I personally don't like them and feel they're not worth the money..
1- The seats do not sit up fully so older kids (and even some 12/13mo) get annoyed that they're so reclined and strain to sit up.
2- The canopy IMO is not big enough and doesn't provide enough coverage because of the angle the seats are at. My kids always ended up with sun in their eyes.
3- Probably the biggest things... NO parent tray (lotsssss of spilled coffee! And lost keys) and CRAPPY basket to store things. Those two were pretty much deal breakers for me. They drove me nuts. The basket is seriously miserable... You have to practically lay on the ground and shove your whole arm in to find anything and even then it's very very likely that your diaper bag won't even fit!

I have 2 lower end doubles now and honestly am much happier with them!!!
For my bigger kiddos I loveee the hand-me-down double baby jogger. This one- http://m.target.com/p/baby-trend-exp...FY6i4AodQmIAxg

And for my littles and for use as a snap and go type thing I loveeee my Kolcraft Contours double I snagged for $50 on craigslist.

I love those two strollers for the reasons I listed I don't like the city mini. Yay!!! Parent trays, big hugeee baskets, lovely turning, sit upright, fuller coverage/better designed canopy. On the contrary... Beastly heavy strollers with rough folds but... I sacrifice that for loving them every time I use them!!!

If I had had the money I would likely have tried the Baby Jogger City Select but I just couldn't justify the cost.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: City Mini Double

I love mine! To be honest, I don't use the basket except for things like jackets that are "stuffable". I have a "Mommy Hook" on the handle that's perfect for my purse, diaper bag, shopping bags, etc. and I love that I don't have to bend down and root around in the basket when I need something. We got the caddy that you attach to the top too and it's perfect for cups, keys, and so on. My kids have never minded how far up the seat back goes and mine seems to go pretty much straight up anyway. *shrug* We found ours for $250 on craigslist about a year and a half ago and it's been WORTH it. I was prepared to buy new, but we found a good deal and I'd buy it again.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I like ours. We got it for $300 brand new from Albee Baby (http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger...ange-gray.html). Used ones seem to run around $200 on craigslist here.

The basket is a PITA to get to. The newer ones (newer than mine) have a curved bar in the back as opposed to straight so that is supposed to make it easier to access. We never put anything down there. And yeah, you will have to get some kind of aftermarket parent tray and a hook or something. Beyond that, it seems durable, the canopies are huge, it is super easy to adjust the seats and straps, folding is a breeze and it fits in my tiny trunk. I don't think a side by side double stroller gets much narrower.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckergirl View Post
I love mine! To be honest, I don't use the basket except for things like jackets that are "stuffable". I have a "Mommy Hook" on the handle that's perfect for my purse, diaper bag, shopping bags, etc. and I love that I don't have to bend down and root around in the basket when I need something. We got the caddy that you attach to the top too and it's perfect for cups, keys, and so on. My kids have never minded how far up the seat back goes and mine seems to go pretty much straight up anyway. *shrug* We found ours for $250 on craigslist about a year and a half ago and it's been WORTH it. I was prepared to buy new, but we found a good deal and I'd buy it again.
This is how I feel about my friend's that I have borrowed a couple of times for Disney and Busch Gardens. I would buy one in a heartbeat if dh would give the go ahead. My youngest two are 4 and 2, but my 4 year old particularly gets tired out. She is just not as hearty as the other two. I shoved bags in the basket ok. I thought the basket held plenty. It took some manuevering to get the bags back out, but I just figure there's no perfect product, but this one came pretty close.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love mine. Can't imagine a better sunshade, mine make my kids practically disappear. The seat is upright enough for my girls, though it doesn't go to a real right angle. The basket is a pain, but I have this (holds 2 fountain drinks, keys, etc) and a stroller hook for shopping bags, so I only keep blankets down there.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
TigersBabygirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

We debated between that one and the britax be agile double. We got the britax in the end and love, love, love it. It didn't come with a cup holder but you can buy the one for the single be agile and attach it on one of the two sides and the middle. It folds small enough to fit in the trunk of our Audi A3, can easily be steered with one hand and has great sunshades. It folds and unfolds super easy in one step and fits through every door. Again, we love that stroller!
TigersBabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd forgotten about the sunshades! They're probably one of the main reasons that we love our City Mini Double. We live in Texas and the sun is brutal here - none of the other strollers we'd ever had could shade the kids after about 2pm - they just didn't come down far enough. The shades on the CM come down so far in the front that even at 4:30pm it's not in my kids' faces. LOVE.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
daniele_ut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a single City Mini 4Wheel and I really like it a lot. I'm puzzled about the comment above about the canopy being inadequate because it's one of the biggest of any stroller on the market.

I find that I can make it sit pretty upright if I pull the strap really tight. I was used to strollers with 1 hand recline (I'm a stroller hoarder and have owned more than 20 over the last 9 years) so I thought I would hate the strap recline but I find that I really like it.

If you access the basket from the side it's really not hard at all. As someone above mentioned, the newer models have a curved rear bar to make it easier to access from behind.

I use Think King Stroller Hooks on my stroller so I never try to put my diaper bag in the basket. I also have a Britax parent console that holds 2 drinks and has a pouch with a magnetic closure on it.
daniele_ut is offline   Reply With Quote