Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Camping with LO's

We tent camp with our 6 who are all 7 and under. We just got back from a 4 day trip. My oldest is 7. Then, I have twins who are 5 and twins who are 3 and a 10 month old. It's crazy and super fun!

We don't do glow sticks. We get these sticks from Wal-Mart that have LEDs. They are on a string. We make all the kids where one as the sun starts to go down.

Pack and play for the younger if needed.

We bring a big superyard playyard to put around the fire. We didn't buy one specifically for this, but it works well. We also bring our beach umbrella and put it up over the fire if it starts to rain. This allows us to cook in the rain if we need to...unfortunately, we've needed to many time. Hopefully, you won't.

One of our 3 year olds is an escape artist. So, we put a small luggage lock on the inside zipper of the tent at night. We don't want him to wake up in the morning and go out without us. And, he might.

Shovels are fun. We bring "bug containers" too, but ours are a little older. Bubbles are a good distraction if you need one.

Oh, bring more than one pair of 3 or 4 just in case.

Relax and have fun!!

Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-03-2013 at 09:35 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Tommy and I go camping when DH has his poker buddies over.

We do the glowing bracelets from the dollar bin at JoAnnes.

We do s'mores using peeps (got the idea from Pinterest and they were a huge hit with DS and my friends DD.)

All tents have a loop or tie in their top peak. This is to hang a (battery powered) lantern up above you. When I finally understood this it made life easier! There weren't all these weird shadows cast around from putting the lantern on the floor.

I try to do part of his regular routine in the tent, so we read books and then listen to his songs on the phone and then we snuggle

I actually prefer backpacking myself, so I try to make camping as fun and successful as possible in hopes that he will want to take the next step, lol. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family!
Mother to himself , born 4/22/07
Luck favors the well prepared!
tommymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

We love camping and went last weekend with 6 kids (7, 6, 4, 4, 2.5, and 3 months).

Bring lots of clothes. Way more than you think you'll need. Bring lots of sippies and snacks. The PNP and stroller got used a bunch to keep the 2 littles contained around the fire.

We camp at a friend's property. There is a farm house, so there is AC, a tub, and a washer/dryer. It makes it a lot more pleasant.

Plan easy meals. This last trip, I had this great idea that we would make pancakes. I got the Bisquick pancake mix in the bottles that you just add water. Reality check--syrup makes a mess. Needless to say, we hit the grocery the second day and bought eggs and bacon instead.

My son has asthma, so we do preventative Zyrtec. He gets his first dose before we leave the house, and keep him medicated while we are in the woods. It really helps.

Take Benadryl and poison ivy scrub just in case you find some the hard way.

Also, take a bottle of hand sanitizer. This last trip, we had the little potty, and as I was dumping it/cleaning out a BM, I was wishing I had some. The little potty is so nice when the kids wake up at 6 and say they have to pee...even my 6 year old used it. Mommy can stay in bed a little longer.

We have these for the gets them up off the ground. $22 on Amazon and worth every penny. We use them all the time.
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-03-2013 at 10:47 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Registered Users

Rain boots are our favorite camping shoes! They are perfect for slipping on easily when someone has to potty in the middle of the night. Fit easily over sweats in the morning, and obviously keep you dry when it inevitably rains because you are sleeping in a tent
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote