Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
pepperrican
Registered Users

Transitioning to Toddler Bed

Hello! This is my first time posting on a forum, so sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong place or anything like that. Any tips are appreciated.

A little background: my son is 2 1/2. We are moving at the end of this month and I am due with #2 in November. Two weeks ago he climbed out of his crib (where he had been sleeping with very little trouble since he was about 3 months old), so we purchased a toddler bed on Craigslist and took his crib apart and stored it out of sight. He was very pleased with his "big boy bed." He has no issues with it and doesn't miss his crib. He has a huge vocabulary and constantly surprises me with what he knows and understands, so we talked a bit about the big bed and what was expected of him in it. A few days after switching to the toddler bed we discovered his last two 2 year molars coming in, but they have since stopped causing him pain.

Here is the problem. We have our same bedtime routine, but he gets up every 5-20 minutes to check on us, or ask to play, or some other random request. Not just getting up, but coming to us wherever we are in the house. After he finally falls asleep, he gets up sometimes 4 times in the night at all different times. Again he has strange requests, never a bad dream or something that seems like it would legitimately cause him to get out of bed (he's not potty trained). He is waking up between 5:30 and 7 when he used to sleep HAPPILY until close to 10. Naptime is also difficult, but honestly it is somehow better than bedtime. (I am a SAHM.)

I don't know what to do. At almost 8 months pregnant I miss the sleep I was getting while he was in his crib, and am suffering from headaches caused by my lack of sleep in addition to everything else that not getting enough sleep causes. My son is not himself at all. He is typically a very well-mannered 2-year-old with "terrible" moments but the last two weeks he is pretty terrible all the time.

I know this will pass just like every other phase, but this feels unlike anything we've encountered in the past. I don't have any ideas and feel kind of like I'm losing my mind.

Thank you in advance for your patience and help!

Laura

Advertisement

pepperrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Re: Transitioning to Toddler Bed

In my house, I take him back to bed without engaging, every single time. It will take a lot of repetition but he'll get it eventually.

Good luck!
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 View Post
In my house, I take him back to bed without engaging, every single time. It will take a lot of repetition but he'll get it eventually.

Good luck!
This. Over and over again.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
pepperrican
Registered Users

Thank you both! Trying this tonight, hopefully we remember during those middle of the night wake ups. It has helped so far for the initial bedtime portion.
pepperrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
mkrisel
Registered Users

When dd was about that age we talked about how having her fish lamp (one that rotates do the fish swim) was a privilege of being a big girl and staying in her bed. I think we had to turn it off twice. Turning it off did not make it too dark in her room, so it was only the loss of something pleasant, not a scary thing.
I hope you get some quick results!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote