Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nut/dairy free protien snacks for preschool?

DS' preschool is peanut & nut free, which I have no problem with as my youngest has those allergies. But they aren't supposed to pack lunch boxes for a little snack (their bags are small) so Im at a loss of what I can pack for protein? Last year I basically sent fruit items, real, freeze dried, fruit cups. enjoy Life bars & occasionally bean brownies/blondes. Any other ideas? He's starting to eat hard boiled eggs but I don't want those to go Unrefrigerated. I know I can freeze gogurt, but those are more sugar. I think Chobani makes tues now as well? But Greek yogurt gives him a rash around his mouth, so we avoid it.

Advertisement

E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nut/dairy free protien snacks for preschool?

Hummus and vegetable sticks would be my main suggestion
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can buy reusable tubes to put whatever yogurt you want in them if you have or make some that is lower sugar then the gogurts. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B0036B9KHO

We use these things http://shop.fit-fresh.com/Kids-Piece.../dp/B008AZVUJW . We bought them individually at a local store. The ice pack thing gets attached to the lid of the container. And they are the same size on the outside as most containers but a little smaller on the inside because of the ice pack. So it won't take up too much room. You could fit 2 whole eggs in one of the oval ones. They are the perfect size for snacks.

I can't remember if you can do peas or not, but they have a fair amount of protein as does corn. Both would be could cold and/or mixed. Quinoa and pumpkins seeds. There is always lunch meat too.

But if its not all day we don't worry too much about protein.

Last edited by jbug_4; 09-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
You can buy reusable tubes to put whatever yogurt you want in them if you have or make some that is lower sugar then the gogurts. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-431-4-Piece-Silicone-Maker/dp/B0036B9KHO

We use these things http://shop.fit-fresh.com/Kids-Piece-Lunch-Container-Set/dp/B008AZVUJW . We bought them individually at a local store. The ice pack thing gets attached to the lid of the container. And they are the same size on the outside as most containers but a little smaller on the inside because of the ice pack. So it won't take up too much room. You could fit 2 whole eggs in one of the oval ones. They are the perfect size for snacks.

I can't remember if you can do peas or not, but they have a fair amount of protein as does corn. Both would be could cold and/or mixed. Quinoa and pumpkins seeds. There is always lunch meat too.

But if its not all day we don't worry too much about protein.
Thanks! I forgot about the containers w/ice pack lids! Peas are fine but my oldest is SOO ridiculously picky about veggies that he gags on them all. Quinoa he'll only eat if its sweet, but I do have recipes for banana quinoa cookies and chocolate quinoa energy bars to try out!
I don't usually worry about the protein but e comes home a bear when he doesn't have any and it's lunchtime.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started keeping a snack in the car because dd would get so whiny. They have a time limit for snacks and lunch so she doesn't eat as much as she normally would because she has to hurry. I just started packing an extra snack and she eats it on the way home.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those banana egg pancakes things are delish (but I guess need refrigeration). I'm also obsessed with hummus and roasted chickpeas.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
rae0701
Registered Users
seller

Anything with quinoa. I made these the other day and they were really good!

http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2011/1...-quinoa-cakes/