Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Car Seat for Grandparents

I started out with a Snugride and a Snugride 32 for my little guy... I kept the snugride at my parents house as they live near by so I'd often walk over then we'd go out somewhere. It worked out great. Only now G has gotten too tall for the Snugride. For the moment I'm going to move up to the convertible in my car and move the snugride 32 to my parents house. But I see the day coming soon that the he will also be too tall for the 32. Realistically he's in their cars more then mine these days and they will be doing full time child care for me when he's about 10months and then 1 day a week after he hits a yeah and goes to daycare. So he is going to use this seat a lot.

I want to start looking now in the hopes of finding a good seat on sale before I actually HAVE to buy one. But I honestly don't know what to get. I have an Alpha Elite 65 for my car and already know that is not going to work for my parents.

The requirements....
Available in Canada
Extended rear facing
Easy install both my parents have LATCH but not in the center seat of the second row so easy belt install would be nice but not necessary
Narrow as possible.

Preferably under $200... but if it's something that does go on sale and is a bit over that feel free to suggest.

Advertisement

ISO: Fuzzibunz Elite OS, Lg Boy-ish G-diapers, MEAF M, ML, L
IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
KendallMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
-liv-
Registered Users

Re: Car Seat for Grandparents

My parents have an Evenflo Triumph LX, which works great for them. It RF to 40 lbs and FF to 65. They use a belt install and both find it very easy. It is a good grandparent seat as the harness adjusts from the front without rethreading (my parents regularly have a 2 year old 4 month old and soon a newborn in theirs). It is $170 at Babies R Us (online - Canada). It doesn't take up as much space front to back as many of them do either.
-liv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a Britax Roundabout 55 in my MILs car and we are both happy with it. It is super easy to install and use. I had an Evenflo Triumph there at first but it was an incompatible nightmare RFing in her Honda Accord!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
-liv-
Registered Users

We are actually going to look at a Roundabout this weekend on the off chance it will fit in my DH's tiny backseat. They are on sale right now, until the 15th for 212.49. We are heading down to West Coast Kids since we need to try it, but they also have them at Snugglebugz.ca, with free shipping.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

How old, tall, and heavy is he?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Space isn't a huge issue since my parents both drive larger cars. However looking at the Roundabout I realized there is another requirement... good head support. G has torticollis and his PT recommends good support in the car seat. But G HATES the after market supports just screams... but for some reason built in ones don't seem to bother him.

IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
-liv-
Registered Users

Too funny! T has torticollis as well - maybe we've run into you at ACH I have a Graco MyRide 65, which I have found easy to support his head. With that and the Evenflo I put a rolled receiving blanket under the headrest to decrease the room for him to slump.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
How old, tall, and heavy is he?
5 months, just over 18lbs, and was just shy of 29" when he was measured 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -liv- View Post
Too funny! T has torticollis as well - maybe we've run into you at ACH I have a Graco MyRide 65, which I have found easy to support his head. With that and the Evenflo I put a rolled receiving blanket under the headrest to decrease the room for him to slump.
We probably haven't it took me a while to get the referral to ACH our first vist was just last week. Luckily i was working hard at home with his stretches so they were very happy with his neck we just have one more visit in a few months to check his head shape and tilt again. The car seat is the one place I still really notice his tilt.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Dory
Registered Users
seller
seller

At 5 months and already 29 inches, he's an inch taller than 100th percentile. A Britax won't last him very long rear facing, maybe to two, not near four. That's not too say you shouldn't buy it, just that you'll have to either buy a longer lasting convertible later, or forward face him pretty early, recommendations wise.

You might look at the Graco Headwise. The Size4Me, MySize, and headwise are nearly identical seats, same specs, but the headwise has more padding bar the head since you're looking for that. They're currently the tallest on the market for rear facing, along with the Chicco NextFit, but I'm drawing a blank on what the head area looks like on that one.

Also, aftermarket head supports are generally a no go. They aren't tested with the seat, do it's recommended not to use them in the seat. A tired receiving blanket alongside the head is ok (but not over the head or behind it).

Last edited by Dory; 09-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Dory
Registered Users
seller
seller

Darnit. Just remembered that you're in Canada. and those three Gracos aren't yet available there. maybe my post will bump it up and a tech or someone more familiar with the Canadian car seat market can give better advice.