Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Snowsuit or coat/snowpants

Help me perseverate...
I'm trying to decide if I should get our 19 mo old dd a one piece snowsuit or coat/snow pants combo for this winter (I'm trying to shop now to hopefully find a deal).
We are near Chicago and it can get bitter cold in the winter. We have a yellow lab and so we're outside for at least an hour or two per night playing fetch with him and getting dd some play time. This will continue in winter. Dd is showing some interest in potty training so it needs to be fairly quick on/off. I've been looking at the Hanna Anderson "journeys end" one piece suit since it has a double front zipper so we can "skin th cat" fast for potty breaks. Dd is our first so sometimes w feel clueless on stuff like this!
So, what would you choose? One piece or separate pieces combo???

Advertisement

yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Snowsuit or coat/snowpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28 View Post
Help me perseverate...
I'm trying to decide if I should get our 19 mo old dd a one piece snowsuit or coat/snow pants combo for this winter (I'm trying to shop now to hopefully find a deal).
We are near Chicago and it can get bitter cold in the winter. We have a yellow lab and so we're outside for at least an hour or two per night playing fetch with him and getting dd some play time. This will continue in winter. Dd is showing some interest in potty training so it needs to be fairly quick on/off. I've been looking at the Hanna Anderson "journeys end" one piece suit since it has a double front zipper so we can "skin th cat" fast for potty breaks. Dd is our first so sometimes w feel clueless on stuff like this!
So, what would you choose? One piece or separate pieces combo???
If you can afford it, do both. Buy them used or one of them used? Honestly, after all my winters and little ones, I see benefits to both. For outside play, the one piece is best for little ones, hands down. No gaps, easy on, easy off, often have snap on mitts, cozier, IME. But, you don't want to be fussing with a snowsuit every time you want to take a toddler out in the winter. Grocery trips, stores, etc... you will want a coat with snow pant option. Often you can get two winters out of snow pants, so buy them separate (in an easy to match colour) and use them for two years or hand them on.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

We've done both. If you use the snow pants with straps they're the most inconvenient imo. Pants without shoulder strap and the one pieces are pretty equal imo. We use whatever gets handed down or that we can find cheapest.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I've only done 2 pieces and it worked well. I just need someone to make mittens that actually stay on toddler hands! I did a fleece jacket for car trips so I didn't have to mess with a big coat. We are in Iowa, so similar to Chicago and this worked well when my little one was 15 months, which was his first winter here.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Up to 3yrs I like a 1 piece snowsuit, but we also buy a good winter coat.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I have done both for my now 3 yr old. I prefer the pants with shoulder straps and coat.

I only got one yr out of the one piece, and didn't care for it even that year. When he would bend over, the pants would rise up and come untucked from his boots causing snow to get in them. It was really aggravating.

One pants with the elastic shoulder straps have some give when the move around, and at 19 mo your LO will be falling constantly in snow and needing to get back up.

Get waterproof gloves too. I know this seems obvious but I can't tell you how many people I see send their kids out in fleece gloves. I mean really? They get soaked. We bought waterproof gloves from TCP last yr and loved them. We put gloves on then coat over gloves. We buy really good coats and they always have snug wrists that hold the gloves on. We have never had one come off and DS1 spends hrs sometimes playing in snow.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 09-05-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I have done both for my now 3 yr old. I prefer the pants with shoulder straps and coat.

I only got one yr out of the one piece, and didn't care for it even that year. When he would bend over, the pants would rise up and come untucked from his boots causing snow to get in them. It was really aggravating.

One pants with the elastic shoulder straps have some give when the move around, and at 19 mo your LO will be falling constantly in snow and needing to get back up.

Get waterproof gloves too. I know this seems obvious but I can't tell you how many people I see send their kids out in fleece gloves. I mean really? They get soaked. We bought waterproof gloves from TCP last yr and loved them. We put gloves on then coat over gloves. We buy really good coats and they always have snug wrists that hold the gloves on. We have never had one come off and DS1 spends hrs sometimes playing in snow.
I think my kid is just a master at undressing himself. I did exactly this, with extra tight cuffs on the coat and fitted, waterproof gloves. He rips them off because he wants to feel the snow. Then he cries because his hands are cold, but by then, he's wet and it's even harder to jam a glove on under the coat sleeve because he's cold and wet. Those are the moments I miss living in Arizona! I'm hoping this winter will be better since he'll be 3.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

She wears a Columbia fleece (with the extra wind proof layer on the chest) for running errands, etc. We keep a super warm winter coat at her sitters' house so we aren't lugging a coat back and forth daily. I'm trying to decide on a set up for her to wear at home just for playing outside with us and the dog in the evenings/weekends.
We have the waterproof gloves covered. I got her 2 pairs of nice Marker mittens that zip up for easy -on at the end of last season
I guess I'll just wait and see what kinds of deals I can find. I'm not seeing much of anything so far. The only one pieces I've seen is at Hanna Anderson and LL Bean and they are $68 and $87. I'll have to keep looking! thanks for your opinions.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416

I think my kid is just a master at undressing himself. I did exactly this, with extra tight cuffs on the coat and fitted, waterproof gloves. He rips them off because he wants to feel the snow. Then he cries because his hands are cold, but by then, he's wet and it's even harder to jam a glove on under the coat sleeve because he's cold and wet. Those are the moments I miss living in Arizona! I'm hoping this winter will be better since he'll be 3.
Oh I see, yeah that's just a behavioral thing. When you said oh couldn't find gloves that stayed on, I thought you meant they were falling off.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Newton
Registered Users

Since the first winter we did a 1piece I have always done 2 pieces with pants with shoulder straps. I hated the 1 piece so inconvenient to get on/off and doesn't allow for muxh growth. Two piece are so much more flexible and convenient