Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
ambroseya
Registered Users

Potty training - what do I need?

My son is now 9months and I know that's early to start potty training (we are NOT doing elimination communication or any of that stuff, so that is not what I'm asking about). Anyway, I know it's early, but it's not too early to build my stash of what I'll need for then.

Right now we are 5th percentile in weight because of prematurity; he's super slim and really tall. We use Thirsties covers over prefolds most of the time, and BG 4.0 at night and when out. He is a very heavy wetter and does not eat frequently - but when he does he will eat 1-2 cups of solids or 8 oz of bmilk. So he really is all about packing it all in at once and then letting it all go at once. In the prefolds he knows exactly when he pees and makes a scene about wanting it changed immediately. He cares less in the BG (which is why we use it for being out and about + nights.)

I know that whatever I use for potty training I want to take advantage of how he feels in prefolds, that he wants to be dry, but I don't know what that is... I figure I want something like pullups so that he can work on doing it himself (when we get there). But I don't know anything about potty training... I would LOVE advice from BTDT moms on this, while I still have time to find everything I need secondhand or new-on-sale.

Thanks!

Advertisement

ambroseya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty training - what do I need?

We did cold turkey-no more diapers-straight to underwear during the day. I still used diapers at naps/nights until they woke up dry, but that didn't take long. I bought trainers but frankly they were a waste of money. My ds would just pee in them like a diaper. My dd1 would pee a little and then run to the potty, but she got the hang of the potty in less than a week so they didn't get much use for her. I did like them for out of the house, but they always held it even when out.
For us, full time trainers would have just made things take longer. DS was 75% trained in 2 weeks at age 2 (still had accidents when "too busy" but knew what to do) and DD1 was trained in less than a week at 20 months. By those ages, they already had been holding their pee for a few hours at a time, so it wasn't a big jump to learn how to put it in the potty.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did cold turkey-no more diapers-straight to underwear during the day. I still used diapers at naps/nights until they woke up dry, but that didn't take long. I bought trainers but frankly they were a waste of money. My ds would just pee in them like a diaper. My dd1 would pee a little and then run to the potty, but she got the hang of the potty in less than a week so they didn't get much use for her. I did like them for out of the house, but they always held it even when out.
For us, full time trainers would have just made things take longer. DS was 75% trained in 2 weeks at age 2 (still had accidents when "too busy" but knew what to do) and DD1 was trained in less than a week at 20 months. By those ages, they already had been holding their pee for a few hours at a time, so it wasn't a big jump to learn how to put it in the potty.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say that it's too early to know what will be right for you and your child.

I would also suggest if you are thinking about it to start putting your child on the little potty at change times. It cant hurt. We started our version of parttime EC at 9m.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
mamaspice
Registered Users

It really depends on your method, but I liked coverless fitteds. Immediate awareness for you and him but no puddle, and easier than unpinning a prefold. Lots of people like Sandy's for pulling up and down, but my dd is almost potty trained and still hasn't mastered the pulling part so it doesn't matter too much at this point. GMD Workhorses in size large have been awesome.

For trainers we use Hanna Andersson. They are not puddle proof but the help, especially with some cotton pants over to help catch drips. We sometimes put a Dappi cover over for a more waterproof option.

Also Swaddlebees Simplex sized diapers work pretty well as pull-ups.

If he is showing awareness, I would consider doing some part time ec with him.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Mommamojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A mini toilet that can move to the big toilet seat, to help them get comfortable with the idea. We also like the padded training undies by gerber. Helps with any accidents! First week we just let DD run around naked and take her to the potty every 15-20 minutes.
Mommamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Jeepster
Registered Users

We did completely naked at home then when I tried to do the gerber training undies, DD didn't like how it felt so we used fitteds w/o inserts or covers and then transitioned to the gerber undies when she wanted to (I kept offering and after a week or so, she was asking to wear "panties".)
I would stay away from anything that's stay-dry as the point is to feel wet and uncomfortable.

It wouldn't look pretty but you could always lay a prefold in the gerber undies for around the house. I'm not sure how well it would work but it would catch any messes if you have carpet.
I found in DD's experience, she needed to feel the pee running down her legs to feel uncomfortable but we don't have carpet so cleanups were a breeze.
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
poppan
Registered Users
seller

What alaskamum said. Trainers were a waste of money. I had to go cold turkey and let them pee on the floor for the point to get across. Once I did that they learned quick.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We bought those toilet seats that hide up in the seat cover and installed them years ago, never needed them. Son went from the bjorn potty to the normal potty hole - waste of money. He was more comfortable on the little potties so we let him continue there.

We didn't do daytime trainers -- and even if you end up doing them you don't really know your childs size when you think you will be ready...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote