Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Erinne
Registered Users

pregnancy related allergies

Since I got pregnant this time, I've become allergic to raw apples, carrots, cherries, and plums. According to google, I guess it's not that uncommon and it usually goes away after the baby comes, but I can't find anything about how soon to expect it to go away. My midwives have never had anyone have something like that before, so they don't know either. Anyone know? I have 2 months left and as much as I'm super excited about the baby, I'm counting down the days until I can have an apple!

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Re: pregnancy related allergies

I have a friend who was lactose intolerant while pregnant. Within a week she could have dairy again without issue. So, I'd say, depending on the severity of your reaction, give it a try whenever you're up for experimenting after your baby arrives.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Mrs-Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was pregnant with my middle child. It was probably about a year after when I could eat a raw apple, pear, peach, cherry, etc Now it comes and goes...I don't have a 'true allergy', but I get an itchy mouth whenever I eat one of the listed fruits. Huge bummer
Old 09-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Ellasundies
Registered Users

With each of my pregnancies my skin becomes super sensitive and I can't handle certain detergents/shampoos that sort of thing.

With my third pregnancy I developed lactose intolerance and a pretty severe milk allergy that had unusual symptoms. Now that I understand my symptoms better and recognize them for what they are I think I *may* have been allergic pre-pregnancy but the symptoms were minor and I thought I was just feeling crummy back then. But the second I got pregnant (as in the day after conceiving) I was soooooooo sick and stayed that way for 2-3 months until I figured out the allergy.

All of the allergies cleared up right away with the exception of the milk allergy that I still have 1.5 years later.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was pregnant with my middle child. It was probably about a year after when I could eat a raw apple, pear, peach, cherry, etc Now it comes and goes...I don't have a 'true allergy', but I get an itchy mouth whenever I eat one of the listed fruits. Huge bummer
Wow, it's so cool to "meet" someone else who has the same thing! So random and weird. Mine is basically itchy mouth with a little swelling, but I'm always worried that my throat could swell too. A year...
I'll probably wait a few days and then just try it with benadryl at the ready. If it never goes away, I'll be so pissed!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Mrs-Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinne View Post
Wow, it's so cool to "meet" someone else who has the same thing! So random and weird. Mine is basically itchy mouth with a little swelling, but I'm always worried that my throat could swell too. A year...
I'll probably wait a few days and then just try it with benadryl at the ready. If it never goes away, I'll be so pissed!
NIce to meet you, too Google 'oral allergy syndrome'. It sounds like what I've experienced.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have this...oral allergy syndrome when I'm not pregnant...but I am weird and it is less severe when I'm pregnant! It has also gotten less severe as I got older so I can get away with eating those things with just an itchy mouth so I do. I hope yours goes away after baby comes!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny, I have kind of the opposite. It's not an allergy, but normally I'm lactose sensitive (can have some kinds of dairy but milk & ice cream give me cramps/diarrhea) and now with pregnancy it doesn't bother me at all. I spoke to another woman who was normally allergy to strawberries, but during her pregnancies, she could eat all the strawberries she wanted.

Pregnancy is a trip.

I also have the oral allergy thing (all the time, not just before or during pregnancy) but with kiwis and pineapple. If it's cooked/baked, it doesn't bother me, but I can only eat a few pieces of those fruits before I start getting that prickly feeling in my tongue. So creepy and painful if I ignore it and keep eating but goes away within 1/2 hour after I stop and never swells or anything.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
TinyHineyDiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil323 View Post
Funny, I have kind of the opposite. It's not an allergy, but normally I'm lactose sensitive (can have some kinds of dairy but milk & ice cream give me cramps/diarrhea) and now with pregnancy it doesn't bother me at all. I spoke to another woman who was normally allergy to strawberries, but during her pregnancies, she could eat all the strawberries she wanted.

Pregnancy is a trip.

I also have the oral allergy thing (all the time, not just before or during pregnancy) but with kiwis and pineapple. If it's cooked/baked, it doesn't bother me, but I can only eat a few pieces of those fruits before I start getting that prickly feeling in my tongue. So creepy and painful if I ignore it and keep eating but goes away within 1/2 hour after I stop and never swells or anything.
I'm the same way with lactose, I can tolerate small amounts normally but with my last pregnancy I could eat all the ice cream I wanted and drink glasses of milk and had no issues
Old 09-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Mommieof3monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pregnancy has a way of bringing out underlying issues. I never had an issue with wheat or gluten at all. After the birth of my 4th child I was suddenly allergic to gluten and have been ever since, now 2 years later. I am guessing the issue was always there just lying dormant.
Amanda wife to Brandon and mama to 4 little ones. L 2005, E, 2008 S, 2010, T 2011, and expecting #5 in December after tubal ligation He's here 12/20/13 So very blessed!
Mommieof3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote