Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
MrsChap
Registered Users
seller

home birth

Hi ladies, (not sure if there is another thread for this, pls tell me if so)

I have a 10mo DS & I had him at a hospital. I had considered a home birth with him but decided not to.
And I wish I wouldve went ahead with it. I had a bad experience(great birth, bad people)

I live in a state where midwife assisted home births are illegal. But I know of a woman who has been birthing children for many years and is wanderful(she isnt liscensed, and doesnt cut the cord) im pretty sure she doesnt fee people altho we would pay her...

So my question is what are the major parts of a home birth, what are the supplies needed and ive always wondered how hard it would be if I went to the Doc to make sure everything is fine, but dropped them at the end? & would it be worth the time and effort to travel to a nearby state to give birth (where its legal)

I guess I just need something to help me to decide one way or the other.. I want to but im afraid ill change my mind...

Advertisement

MrsChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: home birth

My mother is a home birth midwife in a state that it is legal in. The state next to hers it is illegal. She gets a lot of women who choose to travel the distance. Some have stayed in her home. Others have stayed in a hotel. A lot depends on how important a homebirth is to you.

I believe you can look up online for homebirth kits. This is a company I remember my mother orders from.http://www.birthwithlove.com/ There are many others as well. I just remember this one in particular.

My sister chose to see a doctor and then deliver at home. She didn't have any issues with the set up. She just didn't tell the doctor she was having a homebirth.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I forgot you might want to see if you can get this thread moved to pregnancy or something like that. Off Topic is for non child related subjects. Maybe report your thread by hitting the exclamation mark and filling in what you want them to do. I think it lets you do that.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 2 homebirths. With my first homebirth my MW gave me a list of things to have, which were household items that I already had (towels, etc) and then she had me purchase her birth kit through a website. With my second homebirth the Midwife brought everything she needed.

With my first homebirth I had a back up OB that I saw. When I felt like I didn't need him anymore I just stopped making appointments. He knew I was having a HB though, but I don't think they would care if you didn't tell them why you stopped going, they likely wouldn't even realise it if it's a big area. With my second homebirth I saw a OB once, I told her up front I was having a HB and she was cool with it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had 5 children with midwives.

I live in Alabama where it is supposed to be illegal to have a midwife assisted birth. With my 3rd child I tried to work it out to where I would have him at a birthing house across the state line. I ended up having him in a hotel.

I had the last two in my home with a midwife that attended the birth but *technically* wasn't there if you look at the paperwork. I did everything from catching,cleaning,cutting cord etc.

As far as birthing kits, I purchased mine from www.everythingbirth.com

FWIW, I do see an OB once a month when pregnant. They know from the first appointment that I will not be using them for delivery so if I show up at the hospital it is because the birth is not going as planned.

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 09-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
MrsChap
Registered Users
seller

I also live in Alabama.. Themidwife I was thinking of using doesnt cut.the.cord so that technically she doesnt "deliver" the baby. Is a home birth difficult to acheive?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
MrsChap
Registered Users
seller

Bump
Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I considered having a midwife for my last, but the cost was too great for us. I had an unassisted pregnancy and a planned unassisted home birth. I bought a birth kit from a local midwife for $45

The only supplies I used were a handful of towels and receiving blankets, a string of dental floss, alcohol sterilized scissors and a bowl to catch the placenta.
After the birth I used depends, chux and a peri-bottle.

I had a bunch of unused stuff from the birth kit. I should have just bought $45 worth of depends lol

I labored all afternoon while watching movies. My water broke w/o much seriously painful labor. I filled the bath and made sure I had clean towels. I pooped a lot. Within 45 minutes I was crowning on the toilet. I moved to the floor and birthed the baby. She cried immediately so I didn't suction her face at all. After a few cries she was just amazed/alert. We let her stay attached until 1 1/2 hours later still no placenta. Once it was cut I got up moved around and delivered the placenta quickly. Checked it for completeness. Nursed baby, bathed, wiped up a little blood and went to bed.