Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #21
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best way to prepare for a c/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
Do NOT do NOT get staples!!! Tell them before hand, make doc sign a birth plan whatever you need to do! I read an article after I had my c/sec that said something like 75% of women who get staples get an infection. Well, guess who got an infection?! OMG... They had me stapled two days, took them out the morning I went home and put butterfly bandages on. It was ridiculous. It did not heal properly at all, and Ty had to go in and do "wound care" and clean it with Qtips. The memory all e makes me clench my teeth. I also wound up with a puffy 1/2 inch tall keloid that now at 4 + yrs is finally all the way down. :/
Good luck! I pushed 4 hrs with my stuck boy before c/sec, but luckily didn't have those problems.
I had staples twice with no problems. I've also had them on a bad cut with no problems.

Advertisement

NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kaydncolt View Post
I do not fully agree about the pain meds. With my first I took as prescribed and found that Percocet and I don't mix well. I have giant periods of no memories of my days in the hospital. Not good when you roomed in with your infant 90 percent of your stay but it wasn't until I went home and quit taking them that I realized they were the issue. With my second c-section I needed to be present as my son was in the nicu. I took one dose a night to get a solid stretch of sleep and that was it, took the Motrin of course but that barely touched the pain. With my daughter a nurse was nice enough to tell me that I could take half a dose. Duh. Never occurred to me, felt it was all out nothing. The half a dose worked great for me coupled with the Motrin. So find what works for you. definitely you'll want/need pain meds but if you feel to groggy or something don't hesitate to ask about other options.
This rings true. If the prescribed pain med is making you groggy or sick, switch or ask for a different dose. There are lots of options.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad

I had staples twice with no problems. I've also had them on a bad cut with no problems.
You where blessed! Lol! The funny thing is I usually heal really well, and I've had stitches three times before. It really depends I suppose, but whenever someone even thinks they may need a c/sec I tell them to ask for stitches. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I went through!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

Same here.
My Baby was *only* 10lb and 12oz though.

*Giggle*
Hmm... Maybe I was just really unlucky?! Did they take yours out the day you went home?
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum
Hmm... Maybe I was just really unlucky?! Did they take yours out the day you went home?
They did. And man was it freaky. I hadn't realized they had stapled me so when the nurse said what she was about to do I was like "wtf!?! They STAPLED ME!!?" Lol. But I don't remember feeling anything when they took them out and I didn't have complications with my incision.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
mydaddysjag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subbing so I can find this later. Had a terrible Emergency C section with DS in 2010, and having a planned CS at a different hospital in December with DD. I have bad anxiety, and am already very nervous. With DS they couldnt get me numb after 14 hours of pitocin, I had a bad anxiety attack after they started cutting when I wasnt numb, and they gave me general anesthesia before I knew what hit me. I woke up 4 hours later to find that everyone (but me) had already held my baby and DH's family had went home before I was even out of the recovery room.
mydaddysjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
I think it's mostly emergency c sections that are really bad. It doesn't seem like scheduled ones are that bad.
I had an emergency csection and while it was not pleasant it was not bad at all. The 36 hours of labor....awful. Hehe.

Definitely make sure everything you need is on the main level. Especially that first week home. You will be very sore. I couldn't get in and out of my bed at all for two weeks so I had to sleep on the couch . Make sure you bring a boppy to the hospital. I couldn't do the cradle hold until I got home without it and the football hold was awkward for me.

Pain meds and stool softeners as soon as you are able to!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
I was in 4 days and they took them out the morning I went home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydaddysjag View Post
Subbing so I can find this later. Had a terrible Emergency C section with DS in 2010, and having a planned CS at a different hospital in December with DD. I have bad anxiety, and am already very nervous. With DS they couldnt get me numb after 14 hours of pitocin, I had a bad anxiety attack after they started cutting when I wasnt numb, and they gave me general anesthesia before I knew what hit me. I woke up 4 hours later to find that everyone (but me) had already held my baby and DH's family had went home before I was even out of the recovery room.
I had pretty much the same experience on a planned c section (well kind of planned I wasn't in labor but it was only planned 12 hours in advance) and they couldn't get me numb and had to put me totally under. It was not fun at all.

The biggest thing I wish someone had told me was not to drink soda. I drank tons because I hate water and the nurses told me I had to drink so they kept filling up my huge water jug with soda. Ugg... worst gas pain ever! Also, take stool softners for a week or three, colace is wonderful stuff! And have plenty of meals in the freezer. And don't turn down free help. If someone offers to help give them a job. Laundry, dishes, vacuuming, anything have them do something! I kept telling everyone I was fine then I mopped my kitchen- bad plan. Then I tried to do laundry- worse plan. I tried loading the dishwasher--oh double bad plan. And the absolute stupidest thing I did... lift the 90lb doberman into the dog wash tub at 2 weeks post partum. Yup, about pooped a gut, started bleeding, and set myself back so far on recovery. Bad bad plan. So while getting up and moving is important, DON"T overdo. Plan ahead to maybe have a friend take the dog to the groomer, or let people do things for you. As far as mentally, for me it would just be to relax! I got myself so worked up about how much I didn't want one that I couldn't relax. So silly of me! I survived, and got a beautiful boy out of it. I wish I had realized then that how you birth is not as important as the outcome. Good luck, hope all goes well.

PS get a belly binder for recovery. Medela makes a good one. I recovered so much faster once I started using it for being up and around.

Last edited by slimy72; 09-22-2013 at 08:08 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 5 of them!

Here are my recs:

-Avoid gassy, constipating food the week before you deliver.
-Start taking a stool softener 1 week PRIOR to your Csection. Believe me when I say straining to get a poop out is NOT what you want to do! AND they won't let you leave until you poop!
-Be VERY careful what "calming" drugs you ask for. I started getting anxious about some pain I was having during my Csection and the Anesthesiologist gave me Versed. Versed is what is given to patients getting procedures they DON'T want to remember--like a colonoscopy! Needless to say, I don't remember that birth at all! So be careful!!
-Get up and walk as soon as you are able! It will aid in your recovery. The more you sit, the more you will hurt!!
-Use those mesh panties they give you! They are AWESOME and you don't have to worry about them sticking to your incision!
-Take your pain meds even if you don't hurt b/c you WILL start to hurt and it is hard to get back on top of the pain! I take them for 3 days and then stop!

GL!

Last edited by png_lovebirds; 09-22-2013 at 08:17 PM.
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post
-Use those mesh panties they give you! They are AWESOME and you don't have to worry about them sticking to your incision!

GL!
Can I super pink sparkly heart like this!?!? Those things are amazing! Squirrel several pair away and ask your nurse for a few more to go home with. Best invention for a c section ever! I wash and use mine for my worst day of my period too because they're the only thing that the elastic doesn't make the cramping worse for me. Every time I go in for surgery (i've had 4 in 5 years) I ask for a few new pair to keep me going. Real panties hurt so bad for a while. And I wish I had had more nightgowns. I tried to live in pants right off because I NEVER wear nightgowns. I wish I had hung out in big comfy nightgowns around the house the first few days. By day 3 or 4 of being home and having pants rub I ended up spending the day in a big tshirt in bed. When I did wear pants using the belly binder to cover the inscision to prevent rubbing made a ton of difference.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote