Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #1831
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Great info. Thanks!

Advertisement

Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #1832
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
Can someone explain why the AAP changed their stance on Circumcision to say
“Preventative health benefits of elective circumcision of male newborns outweigh the risks of the procedure” (with a list of some of these benefits)"
And the CAP is also revisiting circumcision and is expected to give the same stance. Also According to the researchers, Canada’s current circumcision rate is 32 per cent. In the U.S., rates are increasing, to 61 per cent of men, they said.
Just interested on why they've changed when there seems to be a movement against routine circumcision? FTR I'm not anti-circumcision, but it's something we chose to not do for our son for a number of reasons and I'm glad I didn't.
Money. Circumcision generates a ton of money from the procedure itself, and also from the sale of neonatal foreskins to cosmetic companies. Yeah... you read that correctly. http://voices.yahoo.com/human-foresk...cs-201840.html

The AAP really should not be put up on a pedestal. They tried to bring back a form of female genital mutilation in 2010. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-92871624.html

Here is a critique of the AAP policy: http://www.circumcision.org/aap.htm

If the supposed benefits were true, we wouldn't be seeing Medicaid refusing to cover it in several states, with that number growing, despite that AAP's stance.

Infant Circumcision still is not recommended by any medical organization on the planet. Here are the stances of a few:

The British Medical Association:
"Parental preference alone is not sufficient justification for performing a surgical procedure on a child."

The Royal Australasian College of Physicians:
"After reviewing the currently available evidence, the RACP believes that the frequency of diseases modifiable by circumcision, the level of protection offered by circumcision and the complication rates of circumcision do not warrant routine infant circumcision in Australia and New Zealand."

The Canadian Paediatric Society:
"Circumcision of newborns should not be routinely performed."

The Royal Dutch Medical Association (KNMG):
"There is no convincing evidence that circumcision is useful or necessary in terms of prevention or hygiene... circumcision entails the risk of medical and psychological complications... Non-therapeutic circumcision of male minors conflicts with the child's right to autonomy and physical integrity."

Last edited by JustSomeChickVee; 09-22-2013 at 05:40 AM.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1833
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

The link about the industry of foreskins makes me sick... Ten years they can use them for!?!? So my first borns foreskin could still be making money for those disgusting people! I'm never leaving ANY body tissue at the hospital again, foreskins can stay with their owners and placentas are coming home too!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #1834
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
The link about the industry of foreskins makes me sick... Ten years they can use them for!?!? So my first borns foreskin could still be making money for those disgusting people! I'm never leaving ANY body tissue at the hospital again, foreskins can stay with their owners and placentas are coming home too!
The hospital I went to stole my placenta. I'm not even kidding. I told them I wanted my placenta before I gave birth and right after. I kept asking about it and was finally told they had already done testing on it? I guess they use some chemical on them or something? either that or they were lying. either way I was really upset.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #1835
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to throw this out there because it's so ridiculous.

We let my mil come to the hospital to see ds the day after he was born. She had no interest in him essentially just wanted to be nosy and get a chance to play on dh's sympathy (well try to) and ***** about his siblings and all of their drama like the two faced witch she is. Anyway so she's holding the baby, never really looking at him and after complaining about all of them and not asking one single thing about him...she asks if he's circumcised, out of left field.

I mean, who the heck has that as their only acknowledgement of their grand child? DH jumped on it, though, and said no and she was horrified. DH held his own explaining why, very firmly, and I only jumped in once or twice to back him up. It was amazing. And then she proceeded to comment on her other two grandson's penises and comparing them (how one is circumcised and the other may not be, his mother says he was but it apparently doesn't "look right") What in the ever loving....at that point I was feisty, annoyed and tired and I looked at her and was like "quite frankly if you have an issue or comment about the state of my son's penis, you and I have a problem." Yeeeah her jaw dropped and she left soon after. My husband had to bite his cheek from laughing.

And she will be lucky if she ever sees my son again. The ignorance coming out of her mouth was ridiculous.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #1836
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was at Barnes and noble today and went to the pregnancy books to leave an intact card....on the display shelf there was one there already! Either someone else has been carding or it has been there for weeks since I was last there....it's in a super visible place so there's no way no one would have noticed it. Hoping it changed some minds....
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #1837
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

What's an intact card?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #1838
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They are just little cards you can get from savingsons.org that have circumcision facts, intact care, etc...
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #1839
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
I was at Barnes and noble today and went to the pregnancy books to leave an intact card....on the display shelf there was one there already! Either someone else has been carding or it has been there for weeks since I was last there....it's in a super visible place so there's no way no one would have noticed it. Hoping it changed some minds....
i've carded the bookstores before. the only other place I've seen another intact card while carding was at Whole Foods. lol!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #1840
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I need to get some cards!!