Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Spinning babies

Posting this for my sister.
Looking for stories on spinning transverse babies. I directed her to http://spinningbabies.com/baby-posit...tions/sideways and since it said to check with her doctor, she did. The nurse was very against trying these methods but said she would pass the information to her doctor.

Anyone BTDT?

Advertisement

whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Spinning babies

I have no idea why the nurse would be against it except that it was new to her and she simply reacted rather than thinking. Unless there is a serious underlying reason, it should be safe and even if there was n underlying reason for the position, then baby simply wouldn't move. I wonder if the nurse thought she was going to try a version on herself (which when done by an OB is very rough and can cause serious distress in the baby)

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Tried it for 4 weeks, but no luck. I opted for a planned C section instead of a version. Good thing too! The umbilical cord was tightly wrapped around babies neck. I figured, if baby was not going head down, then there might be a reason; thank heavens, I went with my gut or it would have been a version to emergency C section.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I tried them with my first, he was breech. It didn't really help. I chose to do a version and that was very successful. I'm convinced that the roughness of a version is dependent on the ob doing it and how experienced they are at it. Mine was a lot of pressure, but I didn't feel like it was rough at all. And baby tolerated it well and turned first try. But I know this doctor does a lot of them, so that might make a difference.
What I've researched with this pregnancy is chiropractic care. If her ligaments are too tight and her pelvis is out of alignment, it won't matter what else she tries. I've been seeing a chiropractor this time and it's been a night and day difference and baby already hangs out head down most of the time at 27 weeks. I can tell that there is a lot more room in my pelvis for baby.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with weesej--the nurse was probably reacting to the newness/unknown. The only ones that they advise checking with your doctor about are the ones that put you in a position with your head below your body, and most healthy women with a healthy pregnancy can do these just fine (although be careful when getting up and probably have a spotter to help you get up just in case).

I also highly recommend seeking out a chiropractor who has had additional training/certification in the Webster technique. The website says try the exercises for 3 days first, but I found the chiro very helpful. I am not 100% sure babe was in transverse lie, but I think she was either transverse or breech until the last few days (felt like head was either right under my right ribs or it was spine going across the top of my belly, not 100% which I was feeling). I've been seeing the chiro since last Monday, and after 3 visits in the first week I noticed babe had definitely moved to a head down position and seems like she has more room because she was towards the right side of my belly almost the whole pregnancy (first seen on u/s and then could feel it later) and now she has moved a couple times in the last few days but still seems to have head down. I'm having my 5th visit today and then after that we are going to once a week for the rest of the pregnancy since I'm already 33-1/2 weeks today. Normally she does 3x a week for 1-2 weeks depending on how well your spine/hips keep the adjustment and then 2x week for 1-2 weeks depending, 1x a week for 1-2 weeks, and then 2x a month until you are 36 weeks. I got started late at 32 weeks, but she said most healthy women respond pretty quickly.

I didn't do any upside down positions, just went to the chiro and did the leg/hip & lower back stretches she recommended plus squats and then added a belly dancing/yoga DVD over the weekend. Last night I also was on all fours for about 20-30 minutes using an exercise ball and rocked my hips, swayed side to side, etc., whatever felt good.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I needed to get DD2 from transverse to LOA and the spinning babies techniques worked for me. Once she was in position, I kept up with exercises to keep us aligned and went to the Chiro once before delivery. Successful HBAC.

Also told a friend who was 36wks and breech about spinning babies and she was able to get baby turned for her VBAC without doing a version.

I would try ANYTHING before a version. Only do a version if you are ready to have an emergency C/S on the day of the visit. There are many less dangerous and uncomfortable methods: acupuncture, acupressure, Webster, inversions, massage, visualization, moxibustion...
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely see a chiro trained in the Webster technique.

I did the Spinning Babies exercises for a week with one of mine facing posterior. She turned back anterior and labor started less than 12 hours later.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeBabyBoy View Post
Tried it for 4 weeks, but no luck. I opted for a planned C section instead of a version. Good thing too! The umbilical cord was tightly wrapped around babies neck. I figured, if baby was not going head down, then there might be a reason; thank heavens, I went with my gut or it would have been a version to emergency C section.
Is this something they would have seen on an ultrasound? She has had three now.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
Is this something they would have seen on an ultrasound? She has had three now.
Sometimes, but just seeing cord around the neck can be totally normal. It has more to do with the cord length and looseness around the neck as to whether or not it keeps baby from turning. The thing is that if this is the scenario, spinning babies methods will not make the baby move to a compromised position, the baby is hung up and stuck there. They just open the pelvis to give baby opportunity to move. Now if you try to move the baby manually into a better position, it can cause baby to become compromised. That's why any version should be done with fetal monitoring both before, during and after.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote