Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
JuneBug113
Registered Users

Should I be concerned?

I am a FTM so I am not sure if this is normal or not and/or if I should be concerned. During my LO's first month and a half I was pumping every 2 hours and getting 4-6 ounces. Now, she is almost three months and for some reason I am only needing to pump every 4-5 hours and I am barely getting 4 ounces. I want to nurse as long as I can so should I be concerned with this? What are ways to increase my supply? Due to complications in the hospital, I strictly pump and vary rarely nurse directly.

Advertisement

JuneBug113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
apo_katie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
At 12 weeks, you are still establishing your supply. You should still be pumping 7-8 times a day. So about every 3 hours. If you can, I would increase your water intake and be certain that you are getting enough calories during the day. I would also try power pumping. I having been nursing/pumping for 10.5 months and still going strong.

Semi-crunchy, vax-ing, organic-eating with a corn intolerance, home-brewing, , ,
apo_katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I be concerned?

I would pump more often. What do you mean by "only needing to pump every 4-5 hours"?

Now that I'm back at work I am pumping 3-4x while away from my LO (9-10 hours) as he usually nurses every 2-3 hours. You should try to mimic what LO's feeding schedule would be.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Mrs-Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I suggest pumping more often. If you're waiting until you feel full to pump, your supply will dwindle. Take a day or two and "power pump". Pump every 2-3 hours and when you get done wait 10 minutes and do it again. Then go back to a more regular schedule. Pump when it's time, not when you feel like you need to. You want to send the message that you need more not less :-)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm confused, are you nursing and also pumping?

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
JuneBug113
Registered Users

Strictly pumping. I would love to nurse as well but she hasent been interested in latching. It's been about a month now since we last nursed because I got really busy and my pumping was off from her feeding times due to work.

On a side note, is it still possible to get her to latch again to nurse?
JuneBug113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
BiskMama
Registered Users
seller

If it's been a month since she last nursed, it will be chalenging, but definitely not impossible. My Dd is a living example. Nursed ok in hospital until moron nurse gave her a bottle in the nursery and couldn't figure out how to relatch on my inverted nipples. I epd for her for about 10 weeks, offering the breast at least once a day until the magical day when dd went for the boob with out prompting from me. She has been nursing ever since. Good luck, and you can message me if you need help.
BiskMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I epd for 6 months. You need to pump 10 times per day optimally. No less than 8 times in a day.

My DD is ebf now but she didn't start nursing well until 7.5 months old. So it's very possible. Much better if you try now while she still has the instincts than when she's older.