Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #51
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

There are crazy people on FB freaking out lol saying that by shutting down china companies we are hurting the poor destitute people that work there.... And we should totally send more business there...... What happened to the "shop local" mentality?? Lol apparently now it's " hey lets support china and send even more money over there! Who cares about our own economy! Hahaha)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #52
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

Re: ALVA shut down?! Cotton babies gets patents?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisehawbaker View Post
Really, all of this is no different than the patent Rumparooz (Kanga Care) did for the internal double gusset. The cheapie china diaper market will continue, I'm sure if it's 3x3 rise they'll just get switched to 3x4 rise of something like that which in really will work better for smaller babies. The back flap can easily be adjusted no biggie.
The patent actually covers 3x3+, so 3x4 doesn't change anything, but you can do 3x3 with a microfleece inner or 2x3 with suedecloth... really not that hard to get around.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #53
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wonder about products that are otherwise legal (i.e. CPSIA compliant) that were produced before the patent went into effect? So, I understand people making diapers that violate the patent will have to update their design around it, but what about all the stuff that has been made already? Will they have to scrap it? I was interested in buying a few things to try that fall in this category...
Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #54
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma
I wonder about products that are otherwise legal (i.e. CPSIA compliant) that were produced before the patent went into effect? So, I understand people making diapers that violate the patent will have to update their design around it, but what about all the stuff that has been made already? Will they have to scrap it? I was interested in buying a few things to try that fall in this category...
Good question.... The only time I've witnessed a company stop production over a patent they were instructed to scrap what was already made, and even recover the items that retailers already had.... But it depends on whether cb enforces it... They would have to have a lawyer contact the companies before they stop anything

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #55
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma View Post
Me too. I was at party this past Saturday and saw Happy Heinies irl for the first time. They also have the 3x3 snaps on them.

As for the patent, I knew that you cannot get a patent on clothing patterns, so I did a bit of "research" to find out how they could do it. I found this:

Quote:
Denise T. wrote me asking the following, "Can the design of a piece of clothing be patented?" Denise the most likely answer is no - rarely are articles of clothing patented. However, there are exceptions, Teva Sandals were issued a utility patent that relates to how this sandal "functions to fit" rather than "how it looks". A design patent may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of clothing. The U.S. Marines have received design patents for their camouflage patterns and combat uniforms. All clothing designs are immediately protected by a copyright, however, any small change and it is a new design. That's why famous designers see knock-offs of their clothing almost immediately after a runway show. To help you decide what would be right for you, I'd suggest reading, "USPTO Patents" and "Understanding Intellectual Property", and if you are serious visit an intellectual property lawyer.
http://inventors.about.com/b/2012/08...e-patented.htm

From the bolded above, I guess they were granted a utility patent and then it can only relate to the snaps that make it fit better?

I am very curious about how these things work. I read some of the patent language they have and it sounds like even the fact that it has a back and front panel is patented? Does it have to be the diaper in that exact combination or is it just the fact that the fit is improved by have a 3x3 snap grip and stretchy tabs?

Last edited by vatblack; 09-25-2013 at 09:55 AM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #56
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma View Post
Technically a patent holder can seek damages for things produced while the patent is pending, but CB has basically said they don't plan to do that. If you're just buying diapers for personal use, you reallllllly don't need to worry about it.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #57
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Does it have to be the diaper in that exact combination or is it just the fact that the fit is improved by have a 3x3 snap grip and stretchy tabs?
There are several combinations of very specific things that violate having the patent. 3x3 snaps alone does not violate, for example.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #58
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

Following
babyleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #59
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Did the lady who owns CB actually come up with all the things she patented herself? Was she really the first to use those designs?
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #60
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just a thought.....instead of putting all this time/effort/money into going after the China Charlie cheapie companies why not put some effort into designing a more affordable option....like say call it a BG basic and the current version BG deluxe. If they could develop a more basic version of their pocket and come in at around $10 or $11 each for it....they would probably be able to capture a good size market of the cheapies buyers who would be willing to spend more than Alvas are to get that BG brand ....but who balk at the $17 price tag they are currently.