Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: June Buggers October Chatter

I would be happy to use facebook as long as no one can even see that I'm in the group. My boss is not going to be happy when he finds out and I would like to postpone that as long as possible.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #32
Emmalily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82
I would be happy to use facebook as long as no one can even see that I'm in the group. My boss is not going to be happy when he finds out and I would like to postpone that as long as possible.
I'm not excited to tell my boss either. She's super sweet but I know she won't be thrilled to try to find someone else.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82
Aw I'm sorry why wouldn't she be though? I think I missed that somewhere! Is she not supportive?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #34
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums View Post
@activia
I'd love some of your lazy paleo recipes/ideas
We have tried cave manning it and it just didn't work for us. Mostly my husband. He refuses to get on board with anything that I do to be healthy. He wants ice cream, cookies, candy. I've tried explaining to him that I can't do it alone because then I would have to cook 3 separate meals (me, him, kids). He just doesn't care

I'm very unhealthy right now. 5'8" 245 pounds. I feel disgusting and during my last pregnancy I was 25 pounds lighter at 8m and people were genuinely shocked when I told them I was pregnant and responded with "I couldn't tell!"... Thanks.... I'm only 8m along and showing. I must be such a fat *** that I just look pregnant all the time.

Very much wanting to eat healthier this time and not gain a ton. Possibly even lose a little since I have a ton to lose and eating healthy usually causes that for me.
The only way to motivate your hubby is to get him to want to do it for himself. I used to send my hubby success stories all the time...and then I talked about some of the things I was reading..etc. Slowly he wanted to eat healthier himself (he's never been overweight though whereas I always struggle up/down 30lbs)

I would also suggest stick to a main dish that is paleo friendly, add a veggie that you cook in ways that even he will love, and then if he is insistent add the starch side dish. He probably won't even notice if you use cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes... or cook a lot with white rice and/or sweet potatoes which are pretty paleo friendly (white rice is borderline). As for the snacks in the house... see if you can ask them to keep them at work instead of in the house...and if he still insists on some in the home. I suggest keeping them on the top shelf and out of sight.

I've actually read a lot about microwaves and I decided as long as you aren't heating up anything in plastic it's probably fine.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/micro...#axzz2grEv8eA5

As for my simple meals:
Breakfast for me is an omelete just about every morning. I just throw some fresh spinach/eggs/and a little raw milk cheddar cheese. On the weekends I cook bacon then throw a hannah yam (its a white ish sweet potatoe) with some spices in the bacon grease with some scrambled eggs. Every once in awhile I'll make paleo pancakes. A lot of people like to do coconut milk smoothies... so you can look into that. Every once in awhile I'll just have leftovers for breakfast.. especially if I have some cooked steak

Lunch is usually either leftovers, a big salad with various greens/tomato/cucumbers and then I add in some protein... either canned/pouch tuna/salmon, left over meat, hard boiled eggs. When I had to go in the office everyday I used to make sure I had cooked meat or leftovers sometimes making a separate meal just to have for lunch. Or I'd make a roast on Sunday's and use it for several days. Sometimes I'd just throw a whole frozen chicken in the crockpot the night before and grab that and a bag of frozen veggies with grassfed butter for lunch. You can also do paleo wraps by wrapping meat/veggies in lettuce or between 2 pieces of pepper.

Dinner... I have a CSA so I get a bunch of different cuts of meat beef/lamb/pork then I have poultry (chicken/duck/turkey). Because I have such a variety of types and cuts of meats I dont have to have that much of a variety in the way I cook them. We also have salmon once a week that I bake or grill with lemon/garlic/salt/butter. I either grill/bake/or saute the meat. Ground meat I make into burgers and use grilled eggplant as buns, or cook in a pan with various spices/olive oil/onions/spinach. When I do a roast I usually throw some veggies in the pan like carrots/onions with some olive oil/spices on top. I also get various roasts that need to go in the crockpot. I do briskets with some tomato sauce/carrots/onion/celery. I do short ribs (I braise them in some olive oil) then with some red wine/water/carrots/onion/celery. I just use water/olive oil with country ribs although I'm sure there are tons of other options . I like to saute with olive oil/coconut oil and add balsamic vinegar for flavor.. When I grill meats I usually marinate them in olive oil and vinegar with some spices.

One of my tricks to getting people to eat veggies (or sometimes myself).... is to cook them in bacon grease, cut them up SMALL.. and make sure to have other veggies with them that they are used to eating.. that is how you develop tastes for things... Also put on sauces (which you'd have to make your own) Lemon caper sauce is my fav... when I'm in the mood to make my own mayo (egg yolks/olive oil very slowly blended in) and add lemon juice and capers. Its also awesome to cook in coconut oil but not everyone likes it.

Desert for me is usually apples/with honey and cinamon.

Snacks: Sometimes I literally just steam up some veggies, or have some nuts, or do raw veggies with almond butter, or leftovers
Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #35
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
Aw I'm sorry why wouldn't she be though? I think I missed that somewhere! Is she not supportive?
We can create a private group in facebook where noone would know. I am a part of 3 or 4 of those.

I agree that posts EASILY get lost in facebook. It's much easier to manage in a forum.

Last edited by activia; 10-05-2013 at 09:59 AM.
activia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by activia View Post
The only way to motivate your hubby is to get him to want to do it for himself. I used to send my hubby success stories all the time...and then I talked about some of the things I was reading..etc. Slowly he wanted to eat healthier himself (he's never been overweight though whereas I always struggle up/down 30lbs)

He wouldn't care if I sent him that stuff or tried to show him. He would ignore it or not pay attention. He is kind of a butthole.

I would also suggest stick to a main dish that is paleo friendly, add a veggie that you cook in ways that even he will love, and then if he is insistent add the starch side dish. He probably won't even notice if you use cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes... or cook a lot with white rice and/or sweet potatoes which are pretty paleo friendly (white rice is borderline). As for the snacks in the house... see if you can ask them to keep them at work instead of in the house...and if he still insists on some in the home. I suggest keeping them on the top shelf and out of sight.

Oh trust me... He noticed the cauliflower. That is one of his least favorite veggies. I've tried cauli mash before. We do a rice blend that is wild rice, brown, red, and 2 others. He likes that. I can ask him to just buy the snacks on work days. We don't normally keep snacks in the house. He asks me to go get him dairy queen, or snacks from the gas station.

I've actually read a lot about microwaves and I decided as long as you aren't heating up anything in plastic it's probably fine.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/micro...#axzz2grEv8eA5

I've thought about getting one again but I've fared just fine without it

As for my simple meals:
Breakfast for me is an omelete just about every morning. I just throw some fresh spinach/eggs/and a little raw milk cheddar cheese. On the weekends I cook bacon then throw a hannah yam (its a white ish sweet potatoe) with some spices in the bacon grease with some scrambled eggs. Every once in awhile I'll make paleo pancakes. A lot of people like to do coconut milk smoothies... so you can look into that. Every once in awhile I'll just have leftovers for breakfast.. especially if I have some cooked steak

I love poached eggs and bacon for breakfast. We buy our bacon at the local butcher and it is out of this world. The hannah yam and the omelets sound super yum! I <3 coconut milk so I'll have to check out some smoothie recipes.

Lunch is usually either leftovers, a big salad with various greens/tomato/cucumbers and then I add in some protein... either canned/pouch tuna/salmon, left over meat, hard boiled eggs. When I had to go in the office everyday I used to make sure I had cooked meat or leftovers sometimes making a separate meal just to have for lunch. Or I'd make a roast on Sunday's and use it for several days. Sometimes I'd just throw a whole frozen chicken in the crockpot the night before and grab that and a bag of frozen veggies with grassfed butter for lunch. You can also do paleo wraps by wrapping meat/veggies in lettuce or between 2 pieces of pepper.

All sounds yummy. I get bored with salads so the lettuce/pepper wraps sound good. He won't eat salads without piling ranch and cheese on. YUCK. He also refuses to eat like spring mix. He wants American mix.

Dinner... I have a CSA so I get a bunch of different cuts of meat beef/lamb/pork then I have poultry (chicken/duck/turkey). Because I have such a variety of types and cuts of meats I dont have to have that much of a variety in the way I cook them. We also have salmon once a week that I bake or grill with lemon/garlic/salt/butter. I either grill/bake/or saute the meat. Ground meat I make into burgers and use grilled eggplant as buns, or cook in a pan with various spices/olive oil/onions/spinach. When I do a roast I usually throw some veggies in the pan like carrots/onions with some olive oil/spices on top. I also get various roasts that need to go in the crockpot. I do briskets with some tomato sauce/carrots/onion/celery. I do short ribs (I braise them in some olive oil) then with some red wine/water/carrots/onion/celery. I just use water/olive oil with country ribs although I'm sure there are tons of other options . I like to saute with olive oil/coconut oil and add balsamic vinegar for flavor.. When I grill meats I usually marinate them in olive oil and vinegar with some spices.

More
He hates coconut so cooking his stuff in coconut oil is a no go. I love it though and usually cook my stuff in it if he isn't home.

One of my tricks to getting people to eat veggies (or sometimes myself).... is to cook them in bacon grease, cut them up SMALL.. and make sure to have other veggies with them that they are used to eating.. that is how you develop tastes for things... Also put on sauces (which you'd have to make your own) Lemon caper sauce is my fav... when I'm in the mood to make my own mayo (egg yolks/olive oil very slowly blended in) and add lemon juice and capers. Its also awesome to cook in coconut oil but not everyone likes it.

The lemon/caper sauce sounds awesome. I love both of those things. I will not make my own mayo. My grandma does and I don't know if she is making it wrong but its disgusting. Speaking of home made mayo... I need to get my Nourishing Traditions book back from a friend.

Desert for me is usually apples/with honey and cinamon.

Snacks: Sometimes I literally just steam up some veggies, or have some nuts, or do raw veggies with almond butter, or leftovers

He's allergic to all nuts
I do eat a lot of nut products though. Probably in excess.

You have given me some great pointers though! I keep forgetting how much I actually do like paleo foods. Its just a matter of ideas
My responses in the bold above.

ETA: I guess it really just boils down to cutting the crap out and not being his errand girl for junk food.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #37
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
He is 77 years old, and hired me 6 months ago with the intention that I buy the practice from him in 2-3 years. Essentially, I am his retirement plan He is not going to be happy about losing his associate for a year. It's not really ideal for him to hire someone else (and then I would be out of a job.) Right now, I've taken over about half of his work load, and I don't think he wants to be that busy anymore.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #38
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums
He wouldn't care if I sent him that stuff or tried to show him. He would ignore it or not pay attention. He is kind of a butthole.
Then YOU need to be the success story. Talk about how good you feel. I would also..if he has any ...issues (allergies) etc. Talk about people that have success conquering THOSE issues going paleo.
Quote:
Oh trust me... He noticed the cauliflower. That is one of his least favorite veggies. I've tried cauli mash before. We do a rice blend that is wild rice, brown, red, and 2 others. He likes that. I can ask him to just buy the snacks on work days. We don't normally keep snacks in the house. He asks me to go get him dairy queen, or snacks from the gas station.

Haha yeah my hubby HATES HATES cauliflower so that trick doesn't work for him either.... he hates orange sweet potato's tho..... and I eventually got him to develop a taste for the white ones (break those breakfasts), and now he PREFERS them over white boring potatoes. I would skip the BROWN rice. Stick to white and best to cook it in homemade bone broth.

Honestly his eating habits sound like my fathers lol. My hubby and I NEVER leave the house to go get snacks, both too lazy for that... we only leave the house if we really really can't do without something. haha (unless we're going out for fun of course)

Quote:
All sounds yummy. I get bored with salads so the lettuce/pepper wraps sound good. He won't eat salads without piling ranch and cheese on. YUCK. He also refuses to eat like spring mix. He wants American mix.

My suggestion is to buy both types of lettuce mixes. You can slowly add in the spring mix so it's just a very slight hint...he will develop a taste and eventually prefer it. It's very interesting how tastes actually need to be developed. You can try to reach out and look at a bunch of different types of dressings if he is willing to give it a shot...otherwise... you could make homemade ranch (which would be paleo)

Quote:
More
He hates coconut so cooking his stuff in coconut oil is a no go. I love it though and usually cook my stuff in it if he isn't home.
See if you can get some grass fed suet and make your own tallow out of it to cook in. I'm sure he'd love that. Sometimes you can find a good source for lard... and collect the bacon grease. Make sure to get good quality olive oil (California olive oil is usually real olive oil....a lot of the imports are actually mixed with canola even tho they aren't labeled that way sadly)

There are countless recipes online. You could try one new one a week
http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

Quote:
The lemon/caper sauce sounds awesome. I love both of those things. I will not make my own mayo. My grandma does and I don't know if she is making it wrong but its disgusting. Speaking of home made mayo... I need to get my Nourishing Traditions book back from a friend.
I'm not sure how your grandma made it but it shouldnt taste any different than store bought.
http://everydaypaleo.com/homemade-pa...-cooking-demo/

Quote:
My responses in the bold above.

ETA: I guess it really just boils down to cutting the crap out and not being his errand girl for junk food.
Yep

Don't stress too much about him....work at it slowly and be an example. Right now nutrition is the most important thing for your baby.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #39
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Dh is working today and tomorrow. The girls and I just had bacon and poached eggs for lunch. They have never eaten eggs poached before but seemed to really like it
I had some romaine lettuce tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. I LOVE pepper. Sometimes I joke with myself that food is just a shuttle to get the pepper in my mouth lol
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I guess I'm cautiously joining. I had a MC in May at 8 weeks so I'm desperately hoping for a rainbow baby this time.
Based on ovulation, my edd is June 18th
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote