Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
K&Bmama
Registered Users

Need help healing nipples fast! Vasospasm??(long!)

I need advice... I had my baby on 10/6/13. His latch looked great and everyone was saying it was fine. In the hospital, the lactation consultant said that front he outside, the latch looked perfect. But on the inside, it felt like he was rubbing sandpaper over my nipples!! We have had a few good latches, but for the most part, they all hurt, and my nipple comes out creased and shaped like the tip of a lipstick.
When my milk first came in, I produced a ton. He would be dribbling it out of the side of his mouth, all over the hoppy pillow, and he was choking and gagging and spitting up nonstop. So I was told to pump a little off before each feed, and then recline as vouch as possible during nursing. It seems to have helped, along with only feeding from one breast per feeding. Now I feel like my supply has regulated and he isn't constantly choking and spitting up.
Now we have reached another hurdle though. I have intense nipple pain. They don't LOOK scabby or bloody, but they are a light pinkish color and they are insanely sensitive and sore. If I don't wear a nursing bra and nursing pads, just them rubbing on my shirt or being exposed to the air is painful!! I called the lactation consultant and she told me that based one the nipple pain, and the fact that I told her I was having breast pain in between feelings, she thought I had a vasospasm. She told me to apply heat to it. I tried, and felt a *****ing relief, but when I tried it again last night, NO relief. I was in tears trying to feed him last night at 2 am. Also, I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old, so sitting on my butt with a heating pad on my boobs all day is just plain impossible. Oh yeah, and my DH is in the army so he is gone right now.
I am hoping to make an appointment with the lactation consultant on Monday when she's back in the office, but until then I have resorted to pumping my milk and bottle feeding until these nipples are better. How do you deal with vasospasm and healing nipples?? I have been putting lanolin on inside the breast pads, but letting them be exposed to air is out of the question because of pain. Help!! I want my nipples healed before Monday so I can try to get him back n the breast!

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

Have you had him checked for lip and tongue tie? I would keep working on the latch and see another consultant if it doesn't clear up soon.

Homeopathic Arnica helped with all kinds of pain, swelling, and inflammation post-birth for me. My midwife recommended it.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help healing nipples fast! Vasospasm??(long!)

I have been going through the exact same thing for 5 weeks! I have been pumping and bottle feeding for a week, nursing when I feel able. The thing that works best for us is one ounce in a bottle, then nurse as long as I can take the pain and then top off with a bottle if needed. I want her to stay comfortable with nursing until we can figure this out. My poor 21 month old has to watch TV while we get all of this done.
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Frisky2times
Registered Users

Omg I went through this I feel your pain!! I literally had to ride it out my sd is not tongue tied and just waited until his mouth got bigger before getting a great latch! Like you it looked perfect from the outside but my fast let down was causing him to clamp my nipple hence the lipstick look and cause of spasms from nipple damage my nipples looked fine as well, I wore a sweatshirt all the time! The warmer the better as cold triggers them. If it did start I'd push down on them with my palm and the heat from my hand sometimes helped. Sorry I can't be more help my ds did grow out of clamping down and my spasms did fade away it took about 3 months good luck

I didn't pump as I was trying to balance my milk out I didn't want over supply because that would cause a faster and stronger let down

Last edited by Frisky2times; 10-19-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added more
Frisky2times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NO LANOLIN AND NO BOPPY HERE!!! Breastmilk helps healing. Lanolin made things worse. Boppy seems to make things impossible. No one told me how hard this nursing thing would be, but I refuse to give up.
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky2times
Omg I went through this I feel your pain!! I literally had to ride it out my sd is not tongue tied and just waited until his mouth got bigger before getting a great latch! Like you it looked perfect from the outside but my fast let down was causing him to clamp my nipple hence the lipstick look and cause of spasms from nipple damage my nipples looked fine as well, I wore a sweatshirt all the time! The warmer the better as cold triggers them. If it did start I'd push down on them with my palm and the heat from my hand sometimes helped. Sorry I can't be more help my ds did grow out of clamping down and my spasms did fade away it took about 3 months good luck

I didn't pump as I was trying to balance my milk out I didn't want over supply because that would cause a faster and stronger let down
This! My DS's latch hurt like a B for a few weeks. I went to my trusty lactation consultant and she said everything looked good, it would just hurt some in the beginning. (I didn't have the same experience with my DD since she had a nipple shield). In a few weeks (? Maybe less??) the pain was gone and all was good. Keep keeping on, mama! Just get through the weekend and get to your lactation consultant as soon as you can to double check that there isn't anything else going on. Good luck!!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote