Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
sylverstarz17
Registered Users

My Mood:
Everything is falling apart :(

I'm desperate for some help/support here guys!

About a month ago, DH and I attended a weekend marriage conference and my parents watched the kids. It basically took my entire stockpile of milk to get them through the weekend and I was pumping every opportunity I got. Still, I woke up after the first night with the worst clogged duct. I was in tears it hurt so bad and the whole rest of the weekend I tried to work it out. I thought I cleared it but ever since then I'm getting them like crazy, but only on one side.

Contributing to that I'm sure, DS has, since that weekend of being only bottle fed, adopted a very poor latch. He is almost 7 mos and is very controlling when we nurse. Even when I can manage to get a good bit of boob in there, he arches his back and uses his hands until he's down to just the nipple. I try to pin his arms down and hold him tight but then he just screams like crazy and won't nurse at all. Of course, most the time when he does nurse it's in short 5 sec bursts, getting distracted and then coming back for a few secs more and so on. I feel like I literally spend half the day trying to feed this kid.

I am getting incredibly exhausted and stressed about it and I know that only makes it worse. My supply has taken a huge nosedive whereas a few months ago I was dealing with oversupply issues. I'm lucky to get an ounce or two out of a pumping session now. I drink atleast 64 oz of water a day and eat oatmeal for breakfast almost everyday but that hasn't seemed to help. I just ordered some fenugreek and blessed thistle to hopefully help me produce more again and I've been taking lecithin to help clear the clogged ducts.

We did start him on solids so atleast I know he's not starving. I just don't know what else to do. Is there something I'm missing or is time to just give up?

Advertisement

sylverstarz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Everything is falling apart :(

Don't give up! You have made it so far. Even if you are only getting a few ounces pumping and feeding that to him in a bottle that is worth it. Have you tried a nursing necklace? Something to keep him occupied while nursing or even swaddling him. He may be too big for that, but it might be worth a try. He sounds stubborn just like my LO =) I hope it works out. I had to give up much earlier than I would have liked with my first and now with my 5 week old DD we are fighting even harder to breastfeed as long as possible.
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
sylverstarz17
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yeah, I didn't get to nurse my DD nearly as long as I wanted to either. We were doing so well up until that weekend! I never imagined so much could change after only 2 days of not nursing. The biggest distraction is 3 yr old DD. he adores her and no matter what I try to do to keep her away while we nurse, she unlocks the doors or else lays on the floor right in front of it and hollars. DH is no help, actually he is just as bad. I guess maybe I could start locking us up in the car with the radio on lightly to block outside noise but that seems borderline extreme.

And you pretty much pinned it, he is so stubborn! The only time he nurse halfway decently is at night when he is half asleep. Guess he is too tired to fight me and of course sissy is in bed too.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Honestly that sounds very similar to what I was going through with DD at that age, even though I was never away from her and she never took a bottle. The only time we could nurse without her being distracted was laying down in a quiet room, preferably when she was tired. Latch was an issue due to teething, distraction, lack of interest, boob-natics,experimenting with my reaction, whatever. She definitely took in most of her calories at night, at that time.

Does he nurse at night? Maybe try some skin to skin while cosleeping and see if that will help increase nursing and boost your supply. Breast only, no bottle, and nurse before solids. Hope something here can help a bit
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
4GreenBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a similar problem with not being able to get enough milk and trying for hours to get enough to feed my baby. The dr recommended fenugreek, but my stress levels were too high and my milk dropped off completely. I would say concentrate on not stressing, I know its hard, but stress really will cut off your supply if your not careful. Have you tried Mothers Milk tea?
4GreenBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
4GreenBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

also i found this thread about boosting milk supply, maybe it will help:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...=increase+mill
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
4GreenBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

also i found this thread about boosting milk supply, maybe it will help:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...=increase+mill
Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I think the issue is that he is not draining your breasts properly. All the herbs and dietary measures won't work if you aren't emptying your breasts during feeding. If he only takes the nipple, he is not drawing enough milk so I would work heavily on the latch issue and call in a LC if needed. They aren't just for newborn feeding issues! Does your DD like a certain video? Maybe she can watch that during DS's nursing time so she'll be quiet for a bit and you can sneak off to the back room for some undisturbed nursing time. If you don't feel DS took much, then hit the pump afterwards and get what you can out so you don't lose your supply completely while you work on the latch/distraction issue.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

few ounces are better than none. Mine is getting squirrely too...relax, breathe. Even a few oz are better than none as you were saying he is on solids. Heat did wonders for me and massage while pumping and nursing. a gallon of water.

Mine started solids and after getting constipated stopped solids cold turkey and went back to straight nursing.... now we are doing grains and nothing too horrible.

hugs and hope things get better...
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
sylverstarz17
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well, we literally spent the last hour plus working on his latch. Lots of tears on both ends- from him because he wants to do it his way and from me because his screaming makes me feel like I'm torturing him or something. But we've got to get this fixed because its worse than I thought.

We finally made it to his 6mo visit this morning and found out that he's lost almost 2 lbs in 2 months. I was shocked! It's not like he's an unhappy baby or ever acts starved. So, I've got one month to turn things around and get some fat on this boy.

So after all the fighting and screaming, we did make some progress. I basically pinned his arms down and we did finally get a great latch. Unfortunately, after only a few minutes it was interrupted by DD busting into the room. Go figure. But progress nonetheless!

Hoping my supplements will finally get here tomorrow. I was hoping today but they keep pushing the expected delivery date back. Bah! Atleast if I can get my supply back enough to EP than we won't have to complete give up the good stuff.