Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Also--regarding the SNS--the supplemental nursing system, it's a tube you tape to your breast and you can deliver formula or pumped milk while your baby is nursing. I tried that in the hospital, but as I recall, they only had me try it because my babies were unwilling to nurse. It was a PITA and was constantly coming off. If your babes are willing to suck I would just offer more often. At least for me, I really felt like that tube got in the way and made the baby's suction different and not as effective.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do I HAVE to pump as well?

I did a nurse-in with my 5th to try to stop the supplements and he didn't pee for 24 hours and was screaming by the end of the day. I was starving him. You have to be careful when cutting out supplements quickly as you really have no way to know how much they are needing them. I would buy or rent a baby scale that is accurate to the 1/2 oz and do weighed feedings and monitor how much they are getting and compare that with what their doctor tells you they need, then tailor any supplements to make up the gap and work on boosting your supply. Pump while someone else gives the supplementary bottle if possible to cut down on the time spent on feeding issues. I know it can be overwhelming and there is no harm in doing what you need to do to stay sane, even if its using formula.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpirof View Post
Pumping after nursing might help boost your supply but the best thing is to keep nursing them more and more, offer the breast even if they just nursed, that's how your body knows to make more milk, you should find that you might be able to slowly lower the amount of formula they are getting. Also remember that a pump can't empty you like a baby can, your pumping output is not an accurate way to measure your output so you might be making more than you think

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
this!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mom of 7mo old twins here. Nursing them too. I agree with the other twin mama. I couldn't use whether or not they drank a bottle as an indicator because they would ALWAYS drink one. And that was really hurting my supply.
I would also suggest just nursing for a couple of days and monitoring wet diapers. How old are they? If they are 4mo or younger it will seem like you are ALWAYS nursing, its not reassuring but that is NORMAL. I spent 2 months stuck in a recliner with both babies constantly nursing. If they don't have enough diapers then you may have to suppliment, but don't feel bad about that, you are doing your best!
I agree though, babies sucking more does more for supply than a pump does. No way I could keep up with enough milk if I was pumping, but i have more than enough to breastfeed them, so try not to use how much you can pump as an indicator. Good luck! And pm me if you want to chat. Twins are hard

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
indievaleree
Registered Users

The more you supplement, the worse the problem will become. Get them to the breast as much as you possibly can. Let them use you as a pacifier to stimulate the breasts. Also, a pump is no indication of supply. Even the best pump can't get more than 60% of what's in your breast, & that's only if you respond well to it, which most women don't. You may try a manual pump, some mamas respond better.
indievaleree is offline   Reply With Quote