Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Megwhitaker09
Registered Users
seller

eats more with the bottle then while nursing

I work a couple days a week out of the home. I pump at work every 3ish hours.. baby nurses with me every 2 to 2.5 hours and while I'm gone he eats from the bottle about every 3 hours. He is eating 6 ounces out of the bottle while I'm gone.. I am not pumping enough at work to keep up with his supply while I'm gone. He is satisfied after I nurse him, but he has to have at least 5-6 ounces from the bottle to be satisfied.. my stock supply is diminishing quickly. any help or suggestions?

Advertisement

Megwhitaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
orionsmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: eats more with the bottle then while nursing

I can't help much because I don't know all the details about your situation (and I'm frankly a newbie at this stuff too!) but I had a couple thoughts when I read your question. First of all, make sure you are using the slowest flow nipple possible. I'm not sure how old your son is, but if he's under 6 months he should probably be using at least size 1 - I've heard some BF moms even use premie nipples for the first several months. Secondly, he may be acting unsatisfied after only, say, 4 oz, but maybe that's just because he likes the sucking action or something else and isn't actually hungry hungry. You may want to feed him a smaller amount, then comfort/distract him through his complaining for a couple minutes to see if it disappears. If he takes a pacifier you could also try that. Anyway, maybe this isn't helpful but it was just what popped into my head when I thought about it. GL!
orionsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

6 oz? that is way too much! A breastfed baby should never have more than 4 oz. A great resource for this is kellysmom.com They have a breastfed baby calculator.

In a nutshell basically your baby is drinking so much for two reasons. 1, its easier to suck from a bottle it keeps flowing and flowing they don't need to work at it. 2, They continue just to suck because breastfeeding takes so much longer and they are doing it out of habbit because they dont even realize they are full.

Try having whomever is giving him the bottle to take frequent breaks, switch sides, encourage the baby to slow down, so he knows he is full. Also offer a paci or something to suck on when he's done, or find something to distract him.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
amy2778
Registered Users
seller

Give him smaller bottles and he should be fine. Thats what worked for my daughter
amy2778 is offline   Reply With Quote