Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Won't Poop in the Potty

My oldest will be 4 next month. He has been pee trained since before my 18 month old was born, so just under 2 years. He's dry and night and he uses the potty both at home and out of the house during the day.
The issue is ... he won't poop in the potty. He refuses. We've tried taking away diapers and he held it. We do reward charts and they do nothing. He LOVES going to the car wash and we've been telling him we'll only go if he goes poo poo in the potty. We've tried different potty chairs, potty seats, stools, etc. He has gone in one of his little potties once when he wanted my attention while I was doing a timed exam online, so I know he's physiologically able to poo in the potty.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. He's quickly outgrowing his diapers and I don't want to have to buy the next size up.

CookieCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
What does he do? Does he always wear a diaper and just take it off to pee? Or does he ask for one when he needs to poop? I would do away with all diapers and let him poop in his underwear. If you see that he's starting to poop i would just rush him to the potty and sit him on, hoping that he's already committed and will finish on the potty. The he would have to help clean up. I have also made it a point with my 3 year old that it hurts more to wipe after an accident than it does if he poops in the potty, since it ends up stuck.

I'm the type of parent that once I say something I follow through. So in your case, we would always be stuck at home until he could prove that he was trustworthy. No park. No anything. It isn't fun but it works.
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Won't Poop in the Potty

I got him to go! He would ask for a diaper to poop. I finally told him no. I told him that I know he can poop in the potty and if he did we would go to the car wash (his favorite place that we rarely go to). I took all four of his diapers and put them up and told him no more. It took one day, but he finally pooped in the potty. Then we went to the car wash, and when we came home he pooped in the potty all on his own! We haven't been in diapers for 3 days.
I'm going to sell his diapers to fund one of the new BG prints
CookieCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Yay congrats!!
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote