Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
How do I explain pet loss to a 2-year old?

We had to have our lab/collie mix put to sleep b/c she was just plain down old (15 years old) and her body started to shutdown on it's own and she'd been suffering so we made the decision to have her put down for her sake.

My son is 2 1/2. Tomorrow morning he is going to start asking about her and where she is b/c each day, he helps me take care of her in the morning by letting her out to pee and feeding/watering her. If we don't do it right away when he gets up, he reminds me. I don't know how to answer him. He doesn't understand death yet. I don't want to tell him that she went to heaven b/c we personally don't believe animals have souls and we believe when they die, they are dead.

How would you explain this to him?

Danielle farmer's wife to Hubbs and SAHM to Roo (7/2011), Bird (11/2013) and Bug (3/2015) I blog about our crazy life at:
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Registered Users
Even if you don't believe they have a soul, they still had energy and life that isn't there any more...

We lost a dog when my daughter was the same age and I told her the dog died and I was sad and would miss him. I showed her where he was buried in the ground. We did say he was in doggie heaven, but never explained what that is, and she never asked, so you could just skip that part I guess. She misses him but is fine.
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote