Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: High functioning Aspergers

Ha-ha, as if to drive the point home, today we were 10 minutes late for school. My husband and I were together and, of course, we have been chatting about this friend's suggestion etc. all yesterday.

So, the 3 of walk in. DD goes to circle time and the one teacher tells the other: "Don't forget her thingy behind you." Out comes a red cushion. One child pipes up: "Why does Luca get to sit on one" and the teacher says: "Because it helps her during circle time."

We just walked out and now it is solidified that she should get tested. Till that point I was still thinking I might be over reacting, but if it starts to become a thing that she gets treated visibly differently, I want it taken care of this the best I can. Whatever it is.

I am looking into dieting ideas here for ADHD. I have googled lightly on the subject already but don't seem to hit the right kind of information. Can anyone help me with search terms or links? I want to do whatever I can to help her cope better.

And, I am a little upset at the teacher for not talking to me about this more. I especially asked her to look if there are symptoms.

ETA: If DD gets diagnosed via medicaid, am I allowed to refuse medication? I don't want to medicate her for ADHD. I want to try other things first.

Advertisement

Last edited by vatblack; 10-29-2013 at 09:29 AM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
SimplyGreen
Registered Users
seller

Re: High functioning Aspergers or ADHD(update post 10)

Well I have a 6yr old son dx with Aspergers and a newly dx almost 4yr old girl with high functioning autism.

They are completely different:

My 6yr old son hates being touched, has a ton of sensory issues, noise, water the rolling up in blankets things, sensory seeking bx. and he is highly aggressive. He is anti social, is completely socially awkward. He is super smart, knows more about certain subjects than I have learned in my whole 31yrs. Has a high vocabulary, is really into numbers and everything being equal and also has a ton of energy. Part of his sensory issues are impulsivity and inability to attend. He could never sit for circle time, he would be rolling around on the floor. Once he has his OT for helping regulate his body he is much calmer and much more able to focus. Oh, and he has never played with toys in attended purpose, he is always creating something from something else.

My almost 4yr old daughter will at some point I'm sure be labeled an aspie. She is Way too social, has no bounderies: hugs and touches strangers arms (she has an arm fixation) She can't tell if people would prefer to be left alone. She is a wander, she will take off contently doing her own thing with out worry as to where is mama. She is super lovable, is starting to become rigid, things must go as she see fit. She is sensory seeking in loving to rub shaving cream/paint on her body multiple times per day. She also active sensory type bx. In ability to finish a craft project, or sit well for story also emptying bins of small toys, and she eats her diner up and down off her chair. Oh and she will not at all play with toys in intended purpose, she prefers more sensory play or utilitarian objects to create something else.

All of my kids sensory needs come across as ADD/ADHD type behaviors, but then they receive OT, and we follow a sensory routine, they are less intense. They both however are socially awkwardness, one anti and the other no bounderies.

in order to separate your childs bx's how is she with other kids? Does she prefer to play alone? Or is she too much in other peoples space, with no sense? How is she at home? Different kid, is she "hyped" up in a social setting, because she is socially uncomfortable?

Beside the high energy child, what else are you seeing? IS she funny about clothing, shoes, smells, noise? does she crave intense swinging or big hugs? Again is any of this bx. different when outside of your home?

Here is a questionnaire on sensory type stuff:

http://www.sensory-processing-disord...checklist.html

Here is questionnaire for autism type stuff:

http://www.childbrain.com/pddq6.shtml

I used both of these on my kids and it really brought a lot of insight to what I was seeing. and what direction to proceed.

Oh, and diet: We have Been on GAPS and then recently moved to SCD. I would say it has help my son with extreme aggressive meltdowns. We have been on it over two years. As far as diet goes you will know within 6mos if it makes an impact, it has worked wonders for son and my daughter had been on it since she was a year and half, at this point I'm almost afraid to go off it

If it is ADD/ADHD I have friend the has used OT to help regulate also, and behaviorally intervention type reward for positive bx. without the needs for meds. And she is on a similar diet.

Best of luck mama, may you find some answers!
SimplyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I am looking into dieting ideas here for ADHD. I have googled lightly on the subject already but don't seem to hit the right kind of information. Can anyone help me with search terms or links? I want to do whatever I can to help her cope better.

And, I am a little upset at the teacher for not talking to me about this more. I especially asked her to look if there are symptoms.

ETA: If DD gets diagnosed via medicaid, am I allowed to refuse medication? I don't want to medicate her for ADHD. I want to try other things first.
I found this study at one point about the link between ADHD and food allergies/intolerances. There are also other studies out there linking ADHD behaviors with celiac disease/gluten intolerance. I would at minimum start with eliminating ANY artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives in her food, and aim for a whole food diet with minimal processed/packaged foods. Lots of fruits and veggies, and good Omega 3 fatty acids if possible.

As far as medication, of course you can decline. She is your child and medication, while very effective for many children, is not mandatory. I think as with everything else you need to weigh the benefits vs the risks. If a cushion helps her sit at circle, or a few mild interventions here and there help her behave at home, there is no need to jump on the medication wagon. Where I find medication necessary is with a child who is getting the best possible support and environment and they still are really struggling and its affecting their relationships and self esteem. At that point, the risks of the meds are less than the risks of them continuing to struggle.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGreen View Post
Well I have a 6yr old son dx with Aspergers and a newly dx almost 4yr old girl with high functioning autism.

They are completely different:

My 6yr old son hates being touched, has a ton of sensory issues, noise, water the rolling up in blankets things, sensory seeking bx. and he is highly aggressive. He is anti social, is completely socially awkward. He is super smart, knows more about certain subjects than I have learned in my whole 31yrs. Has a high vocabulary, is really into numbers and everything being equal and also has a ton of energy. Part of his sensory issues are impulsivity and inability to attend. He could never sit for circle time, he would be rolling around on the floor. Once he has his OT for helping regulate his body he is much calmer and much more able to focus. Oh, and he has never played with toys in attended purpose, he is always creating something from something else.

My almost 4yr old daughter will at some point I'm sure be labeled an aspie. She is Way too social, has no bounderies: hugs and touches strangers arms (she has an arm fixation) She can't tell if people would prefer to be left alone. She is a wander, she will take off contently doing her own thing with out worry as to where is mama. She is super lovable, is starting to become rigid, things must go as she see fit. She is sensory seeking in loving to rub shaving cream/paint on her body multiple times per day. She also active sensory type bx. In ability to finish a craft project, or sit well for story also emptying bins of small toys, and she eats her diner up and down off her chair. Oh and she will not at all play with toys in intended purpose, she prefers more sensory play or utilitarian objects to create something else.

All of my kids sensory needs come across as ADD/ADHD type behaviors, but then they receive OT, and we follow a sensory routine, they are less intense. They both however are socially awkwardness, one anti and the other no bounderies.

in order to separate your childs bx's how is she with other kids? Does she prefer to play alone? Or is she too much in other peoples space, with no sense? How is she at home? Different kid, is she "hyped" up in a social setting, because she is socially uncomfortable?

Beside the high energy child, what else are you seeing? IS she funny about clothing, shoes, smells, noise? does she crave intense swinging or big hugs? Again is any of this bx. different when outside of your home?

Here is a questionnaire on sensory type stuff:

http://www.sensory-processing-disord...checklist.html

Here is questionnaire for autism type stuff:

http://www.childbrain.com/pddq6.shtml

I used both of these on my kids and it really brought a lot of insight to what I was seeing. and what direction to proceed.

Oh, and diet: We have Been on GAPS and then recently moved to SCD. I would say it has help my son with extreme aggressive meltdowns. We have been on it over two years. As far as diet goes you will know within 6mos if it makes an impact, it has worked wonders for son and my daughter had been on it since she was a year and half, at this point I'm almost afraid to go off it

If it is ADD/ADHD I have friend the has used OT to help regulate also, and behaviorally intervention type reward for positive bx. without the needs for meds. And she is on a similar diet.

Best of luck mama, may you find some answers!
Thank you for this. Apart from the blanket thing being extra on our list, most everything you mention about your daughter sounds like my daughter.
- Way too social: goes up to people and talk to them (some engage, some ignore), stare at them by standing right next to a family. Would try to eat food from a party we don't belong to etc. She does not understand why she's now allowed sometimes.
- Loves hugs, loves me scratching her back, can't go to sleep unless I squeeze her feet or hands. Must fall asleep with physical contact with me.
- Kneads my arms, especially the fat flab at the top. I have seen her do this with her former teacher too who has the same type of flab as me (think Oprah's upper arms). I have also seen her touch friends arms, kind of rubbing them.
- She has been a wanderer all her life. She never crawled properly but scooted on her butt. Since she was mobile, I really had to keep my eye on her as she would just choose a direction and go. I labelled her "spirited" early on according to that popular book because of this. Recently, though, I can 'threaten' her by saying I will leave her some place when she does not want to come to the car and then she will come to the car.
- DD would tantrum a lot if things don't go her way. Though, I am not sure if she is rigid. She does like her bedtime routine to be just so. And she would tell me that sometimes: "No mamma, it has to be..." For example, I have to put her shoes on just so or she gets upset.
- Sensory wise I am not sure if there is anything. I know the kneading of my arms bothered me for a long time. And she loves to pinch too, but after 1.5 years of explaining that it hurts and moving away from her when she does it, she now is "gentle" and only rubs, kneads lightly or scratch my arms. I have always wondered if that is a sensory thing.
- She has acute smell and she won't touch food that does not smell right to her.
- Dinner is up and down her chair and sometimes she runs in circles. She has improve because we have been working on it, but there is a time limit.
- She also actively watches TV - by that I mean she does somersaults on the couch, she rolls around in the blanket (then calms down), never stops kicking her legs etc etc.
- The last part is true for her too. She does play with her toys sometimes with their intended purpose, but, play-doh for example, becomes a hiding place for other toys or something she likes squishing between her toes en fingers. I stopped making it.

I will follow the links you have given. Thank you.

Again, if my DD is anything, it must be mild/on the edges of the spectrum (or whatever the right wording is) because she seems pretty "normal" most of the time. Most people just shake their heads and say, "she's just like a boy". According to my friend, this is what is said about many kids diagnosed with high functioning Aspergers.

Today I was informed that there is a FDLRS (Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System) near my house. So, I don't need to go to my pediatrician. I can go to them, fill out a questionnaire and they will inform me what testing she has to get. This is apparently all for free because of some law or something. They are obliged to follow up and test any child a parent or pediatrician has concerns about/think is highly intelligent between the ages of 3 and 5. This has all to do with getting them on the right educational tract from the beginning so that they go on to college or find a the right career path.

Last edited by vatblack; 10-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon View Post
I found this study at one point about the link between ADHD and food allergies/intolerances. There are also other studies out there linking ADHD behaviors with celiac disease/gluten intolerance. I would at minimum start with eliminating ANY artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives in her food, and aim for a whole food diet with minimal processed/packaged foods. Lots of fruits and veggies, and good Omega 3 fatty acids if possible.

As far as medication, of course you can decline. She is your child and medication, while very effective for many children, is not mandatory. I think as with everything else you need to weigh the benefits vs the risks. If a cushion helps her sit at circle, or a few mild interventions here and there help her behave at home, there is no need to jump on the medication wagon. Where I find medication necessary is with a child who is getting the best possible support and environment and they still are really struggling and its affecting their relationships and self esteem. At that point, the risks of the meds are less than the risks of them continuing to struggle.
Thank you so much for this information too. I will look into it.

To be clear, the cushion thing did not upset me (just in case my earlier post sounded that I didn't like this). I am very impressed with the teacher that she found something to make it easier for my DD. It just proved to me that she is different from the others and that she needs alternative methods to get through some activities.

Last edited by vatblack; 10-29-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Honestly red dye and sugar is my DD's worst enemy. She is wow if given much red dye..like one thing if small after a meal is usually ok. I try not to test it. Sugar is bad to but if natural less issues if say candy. Also aspartame I don't like.
After learning about celiac disease, I do not buy into the whole gluten free fad. Not saying some don't need gluten free, but celiac is a horrible disease. Most that claim they need it, aren't celiac's.
My DD's psychiatrist didn't push meds. That was a decision I had final say on. He put her on fish oil supplements. He wanted it to have more EPA vs DHA if I remember right. They aren't handy to look. He also requires therapy meds or not. He did agree with melatonin for sleep if needed. DD is on Medicaid.

Currently using my "Smart" phone.

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 11-03-2013 at 08:29 AM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So, it isn't Aspergers... but what is it? Update post 17

So, for those of you who have been dealing with kids on the spectrum or any other diagnosis/problem/whatever the polite word is (and feel free to educate me): I take my hat off to you!!

Today I took my daughter to be tested for ADHD and Aspergers. Only when I got to the testing facility, I was informed that I will not get a medical diagnosis. This was at The Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System (FDLRS) which basically just assesses what make it hard for the children to learn and what to do to facilitate learning.

However, one of the facilitators did tell me she doesn't see any signs of Aspergers which I was reluctant to believe anyway (I mean, I was reluctant to believe that it is aspergers, I was never convinced that it was). However, there is language processing issues, my dd has a hard time focusing and she is "too busy". None of these are, of course, a surprise to me. The score of the testing is below what they want to see and I was unofficially told that she might qualify for some programs. I *think* it would be speech therapy but not for saying words well, but processing what you hear and to answer appropriately.

It is like my daughter's brain is like a google search. You put in the word "cup" and it will bring up coffee cup, soccer world cup, bra cup, cupboard, etc. She cannot just pull up the relevant cup in context and just talk about that. Here is an example of what happened in the test today:

Tester: What do you eat for breakfast?
DD: Rainbows (because it is the marshmallows in Captain Crunch... yes, I know, the sugar is going). There are rainbows in my mouth. There are rainbows in the sky. And bears slide down (Care bears). I like rainbows. I like purple most in rainbows. My friend Anne also like rainbows but she likes pink.

So, I know I'm going to get help through a program and tips how to help her at home. I am so relieved. But now I wonder if I should try and pursue a medical diagnosis.

Here is where I admire you moms. Getting your head around what is important to focus on and what to leave is difficult. It seems like there is no easy label to put on her (or the testers were cautious not to because they legally aren't allowed to.) If she is getting the coping skills through the learning channel only, is a medical diagnosis (for whatever this might be) really necessary. Will a label make it easier?

What do you recommend if anything. Where to start?!

Last edited by vatblack; 02-25-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bumping this because I really want to know what people think who has been through the process. Should I bother trying to get a medical diagnosis for my daughter or just treat this as a learning issue that can be solved with the therapy?

I am not sure what the medical diagnosis would be if we got one. It is certainly not Aspergers. Can it still be ADHD or ADD and these therapists aren't allowed to say so unless there was a medical diagnosis?

Any help or stories that might explain your path to your current plan of action for your child.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

No personal experience here, just what I have read in other threads. I remember one mama saying it was easier to get the necessary help for their kiddo once they had a diagnosis. Until then not much assistance.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #20
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My son does not have a diagnosis. He has an expressive language delay and he's quirky. Autism doesn't fit really and neither does anything obvious. I stopped pursuing it. We are doing private therapy. His speech issues are obvious. He has mild sensory issues as well, but nothing that is going to qualify him for services through the public school system.

I fought and begged and pleaded to get him into preschool through the public school. That's about all I can do.