Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bladder prolapse in pregnancy?

ETA:

After a visit with my CNM yesterday, she confirmed it's a bladder prolapse. But, couldn't offer me any information. She started by trying to refer me to a women's physical therapist, but the OB that oversees her said they most likely won't want to do anything for me for fear of causing contractions "so late in pregnancy" I'm only 19 weeks?!? All he wanted to do was fit me for a pessary. I find tampons unbearable uncomfortable and I'm super susceptible to vaginal infections and yeast. I don't see a pessary being a good thing for me but that's all they could offer me.

I have so many questions! How does this affect my pregnancy? What exercises are safe for me now for both the prolapse and just regular help? Is there a weight/lifting restriction? Can I keep babywearing? Can I use my birth ball before and during labor? Can I still do squats? What am I supposed to do in a month when we go to Disney for Christmas? Am I ok to walk the whole day for a couple days at a time or am I going to have to get a wheelchair or something? Is sex with DH still ok? Can I keep vacuuming if that's what finally broke the camels back and made the prolapse noticeable or do I have to start asking/teaching DH and my oldest to help with that? Is this ever going to get better or am I stuck with my insides falling out for the rest of my life? I feel so lost and unsure! I'm scared that it will impact my birthing options, the health of my pregnancy, and I'm also scared of the possibilities of future surgeries.

Original post:
After about 3 hours of house cleaning I started to notice what I believe to be a minor uterine prolapse. It seemed to get slightly better after some keagles and laying down. I have a midwife appointment on Tuesday so I plan to confirm with her then but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with a prolapse? Did it ever go away? What do/did you do to help it?

Sent from my phone, auto-correct hates me

Advertisement

Last edited by Lydia'sMom; 11-20-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: ETA: update for official diagnosis and new questions
Lydia'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm not quite sure-but how far along are you? Could you actually feel something that felt like it was "Falling out?" I am 28 weeks- and when I have days that I am on my feet all day I get quite swollen down there and as I progress I know I'll have the feeling of wanting to "hold it up" iykwim, but it's just from pressure and bloody low that things change. And generally for me getting off my feet does help- if you can lay down it'll help keep the blood flow minimized in that area. Just a thought- hope that's it!
Please excuse iPhone errors!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
I'm not quite sure-but how far along are you? Could you actually feel something that felt like it was "Falling out?" I am 28 weeks- and when I have days that I am on my feet all day I get quite swollen down there and as I progress I know I'll have the feeling of wanting to "hold it up" iykwim, but it's just from pressure and bloody low that things change. And generally for me getting off my feet does help- if you can lay down it'll help keep the blood flow minimized in that area. Just a thought- hope that's it!
Please excuse iPhone errors!
I am currently just about 19 weeks.
It did feel like something was "falling out" like there was something "extra" down there. When I checked I could feel and see an obvious protrusion from the inside coming out. Does that make sense? Sorry if that's TMI. Something else that may be TMI is that after you mentioned the swelling I think I'll ask DH to take a look after the kids go to bed to see if maybe that area was always there and I just didn't notice and now its just bigger or if it really is"falling out". To be honest, he probably gets a better look at the area in the light more often than I do all things considered. Really I only have 2.5 days before I see the midwife so I will not have to wait long to confirm with her what out could possibly be.

Sent from my phone, auto-correct hates me
Old 11-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Uterine prolapse?

could it be your bladder? hmm
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
miriamleigh
Registered Users

I doubt it's your uterus. Generally at this stage in pregnancy your uterus is very high. It's probably your bladder and of urethra. 1st and 2nd stage bladder prolapse are so common they are seen as pretty normal and expected. I have a bladder prolapse and rectocele. What helps me a lot is doing downward dog frequently throughout the day. I also love the Hab- it DVD and a blog called www.katysays.com.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamleigh View Post
I doubt it's your uterus. Generally at this stage in pregnancy your uterus is very high. It's probably your bladder and of urethra. 1st and 2nd stage bladder prolapse are so common they are seen as pretty normal and expected. I have a bladder prolapse and rectocele. What helps me a lot is doing downward dog frequently throughout the day. I also love the Hab- it DVD and a blog called www.katysays.com.
Yes,

After a visit with my CNM yesterday, she confirmed I was overreacting and you all were right, it's a stage 2 bladder prolapse. But, she couldn't offer me any information. She started by trying to refer me to a women's physical therapist, but the OB that oversees her said they most likely won't want to do anything for me for fear of causing contractions "so late in pregnancy" I'm only 19 weeks?!? All he wanted to do was fit me for a pessary. I find tampons unbearable uncomfortable and I'm super susceptible to vaginal infections and yeast. I don't see a pessary being a good thing for me but that's all they could offer me.

I have so many questions! How does this affect my pregnancy? What exercises are safe for me now for both the prolapse and just regular help? Is there a weight/lifting restriction? Can I keep babywearing? Can I use my birth ball before and during labor? Can I still do squats? What am I supposed to do in a month when we go to Disney for Christmas? Am I ok to walk the whole day for a couple days at a time or am I going to have to get a wheelchair or something? Is sex with DH still ok? Can I keep vacuuming if that's what finally broke the camels back and made the prolapse noticeable or do I have to start asking/teaching DH and my oldest to help with that? Is this ever going to get better or am I stuck with my insides falling out for the rest of my life? I feel so lost and unsure! I'm scared that it will impact my birthing options, the health of my pregnancy, and I'm also scared of the possibilities of future surgeries.

I will check out the blog you linked. Thank you!

Can you tell me more about the DVD please?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia'sMom View Post
Yes,

After a visit with my CNM yesterday, she confirmed I was overreacting and you all were right, it's a stage 2 bladder prolapse. But, she couldn't offer me any information. She started by trying to refer me to a women's physical therapist, but the OB that oversees her said they most likely won't want to do anything for me for fear of causing contractions "so late in pregnancy" I'm only 19 weeks?!? All he wanted to do was fit me for a pessary. I find tampons unbearable uncomfortable and I'm super susceptible to vaginal infections and yeast. I don't see a pessary being a good thing for me but that's all they could offer me.

I will check out the blog you linked. Thank you!

Can you tell me more about the DVD please?
I'm so sorry OP I didn't see this update until now. Honestly, my bladder prolapse hasn't really effected my life at all. I got it after my first DD's birth. I had an I diagnosed third degree tear. Anyway, you will learn to modify your life around it. Mine is only noticeable if I get constipated, so is avoid that like the plague. Heavy lifting doesn't seem to aggravate mine. Make sure you dont lift anything heavier than your baby after you give birth for at least 6 weeks. No bucket seat carrying! Otherwise, you'll be fine. It's pretty normal, unfortunately.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bladder prolapse in pregnancy?

Throughout pregnancy it should get better, I had a mild cystocelle after my 2nd birth. It goes through stages of being weak. Some of the things that are key is a strong core and pelvic floor! Check out Katy Bowman, she has a DVD on strengthening your pelvic floor. How is your diastasis? Check out Lara Catone for info on strengthening your core.

Maya Abdominal massage works wonders! Find a provider in your area. I would also get chiro adjustments as well, but Maya Abdominal. Massage if you only choose one.

A great book you might want to get is Saving the Whole Woman by Christine Kent

Hope that helps!
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a bladder and rectal prolapse and am 34 weeks pregnant right now. You're pretty much in the clear for right now because at around 16 weeks baby moves over your pubic bone and the weight of your uterus isn't on your bladder anymore. Once baby gets heavy though he/she will rest on your bladder again. I've never had sneeze and pee problems though.

Your best bet is to be proactive because prolapses don't just go away and they can get worse if you ignore them. May not be now but you don't want to be peeing yourself all the time when you're old either.

Don't do things that cause downward pressure - heavy lifting, deep squats, jumping (like jump rope or trampolines), straining to poop, jogging, heavy weight lifting, heavy coughing or vomiting, etc.

Constipation is so common during pregnancy as well so don't be shy about needing stool softeners. I take them almost daily because if I strain my bladder starts to protrude.

The website and DVDs mentioned previously are both really good sources and I recommend both as well as seeing a physical therapist. You don't have to go for long and it's not hard or scary but they'll help you understand how to do a proper kegal - and how many to do. Doing kegals wrong or too many actually makes prolapse worse so it's not something you should do willy nilly. Duration of a kegal is also more important than how many you do.

But MOST OF ALL make sure you have very good and proper posture. Posture plays such a huge part when it comes to your pelvic floor and in today's day and age no one sits properly. Slouching instantly tucks your tail bone under making your pelvic floor sag.

My prolapse happened when I gave birth to ds. He got stuck and I pushed (legs back, don't breathe, 10 seconds, puuuuuuuush!!!!!!) for hours and he came out on his side finally. I'm actually looking into a c section because if pooping makes my bladder start to come out god knows what pushing out another baby out will do. But that's just me and I have pretty narrow hips and bigger babies.

Sorry to prattle, but there's lots of info out there that will help you feel better and avoid any need for future surgeries or anything too. I was super scared at first but knowledge is power! and it's not just you so don't feel alone, nearly 80% of women will deal with prolapse in their lifetime. (sneeze and pees aren't "part of life")
Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Re: Bladder prolapse in pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
I have a bladder and rectal prolapse and am 34 weeks pregnant right now. You're pretty much in the clear for right now because at around 16 weeks baby moves over your pubic bone and the weight of your uterus isn't on your bladder anymore. Once baby gets heavy though he/she will rest on your bladder again. I've never had sneeze and pee problems though.

Your best bet is to be proactive because prolapses don't just go away and they can get worse if you ignore them. May not be now but you don't want to be peeing yourself all the time when you're old either.

Don't do things that cause downward pressure - heavy lifting, deep squats, jumping (like jump rope or trampolines), straining to poop, jogging, heavy weight lifting, heavy coughing or vomiting, etc.

Constipation is so common during pregnancy as well so don't be shy about needing stool softeners. I take them almost daily because if I strain my bladder starts to protrude.

The website and DVDs mentioned previously are both really good sources and I recommend both as well as seeing a physical therapist. You don't have to go for long and it's not hard or scary but they'll help you understand how to do a proper kegal - and how many to do. Doing kegals wrong or too many actually makes prolapse worse so it's not something you should do willy nilly. Duration of a kegal is also more important than how many you do.

But MOST OF ALL make sure you have very good and proper posture. Posture plays such a huge part when it comes to your pelvic floor and in today's day and age no one sits properly. Slouching instantly tucks your tail bone under making your pelvic floor sag.

My prolapse happened when I gave birth to ds. He got stuck and I pushed (legs back, don't breathe, 10 seconds, puuuuuuuush!!!!!!) for hours and he came out on his side finally. I'm actually looking into a c section because if pooping makes my bladder start to come out god knows what pushing out another baby out will do. But that's just me and I have pretty narrow hips and bigger babies.

Sorry to prattle, but there's lots of info out there that will help you feel better and avoid any need for future surgeries or anything too. I was super scared at first but knowledge is power! and it's not just you so don't feel alone, nearly 80% of women will deal with prolapse in their lifetime. (sneeze and pees aren't "part of life")
Yes to everything she said.
I also wanted to add that for me, baby wearing is easier on my PF than pushing a stroller. I'm not sure why that is...