Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
School Me: chance to avoid bedrest

I'm struggling with a number of issues this pregnancy. One key problem is lax joints. I have a genetic ligament issue that makes my joints loose/weak to begin with and this is my 3rd pregnancy in 4 years, so all that relaxin isn't helping.

I'm just 23wks along and one of my hips is sublaxing or dislocating frequently. When it gets bad, I can't walk on my own. Can hobble along with support, but that just isn't an option with a 3 & almost 2 yr old.

The thing is, if I wear my brace (a back brace I'm using to hold my hip in) and avoid lifting the kids, avoid walking too much and avoid certain movements during aquafit I can be totally functional.

But I keep ending up in pain because I'm pushing myself too much. I want to do lots with my kids, I want to give my skin breaks from the band when I'm doing well on good days, I feel too lazy if I don't opt for the stairs and take an elevator. I like to do the grocery shopping myself during the day, even if it means hauling two kids around along with 5 big bags of groceries, rather than let DH do it.

BUT... I need to avoid bedrest, I NEED to be able to function. Can anyone who has BTDT or has a similar personality style school me a little? How did you slow down?

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I haven't- but honestly I sounds like you know what to do. I only deal with an irritable uterus, and at 28 weeks now I have to stop working out because of the intense contractions that take forever and a ton of water to get settled.
The key here is: take it easy. On bed rest you cannot do ANY of those things, and obviously it is where you are headed if you don't lighten up, right?
Wear your brace. Avoid the stairs, ect. I totally understand about feeling lazy, for some reason Im gaining more this preg then my last two, but I don't want an early labor either- and if there is anytime to relax and keep not only yourself safe but your baby, now is it, and it will be worth it.
You down have to do crazy active things with the kiddos. Take them to a play place/bounce house once in awhile to burn energy. Bake cookies, make your own Christmas ornaments, do a Thanksgiving an Christmas Craft each day leading up to the holidays. My boys LOVE playing with dyed rice, water beads/sensory bins & there are tons of ideas on Pinterest. Indoor picnics, movie night Fridays, ect. Still involved & doing things but you don't have to push.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: School Me: chance to avoid bedrest

I have a similar joint laxity. Do you mind me asking what you have? I am a stubborn mule too. I hate using my crutches(forearm style) and will go & go until I am dying in pain or literally fall on the floor.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: School Me: chance to avoid bedrest

mrseum - thanks, you are right. I KNOW you are right. I need to reread/self-talk it often to make it sink in. I am grateful that I have some control over this, and I need to appreciate that and take advantage of it. I'm sorry to hear your uterus is misbehaving. Keep that little bun baking in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I have a similar joint laxity. Do you mind me asking what you have? I am a stubborn mule too. I hate using my crutches(forearm style) and will go & go until I am dying in pain or literally fall on the floor.
I have Elhers-Danlos syndrome, type 3. Fortunately, mine expresses fairly mildly compared to some! How about you?

I have braces/slings for wrists, shoulders, back/hips and will likely need to get them for ankles and knees eventually, but outside of pg I don't need to use braces unless I've experienced repeated dislocations, sublaxations or separations over a short time.

Like you, I have typically just tried to ignore it most of my life & carry on. Turns out the older I get, the harder that gets. and it just isn't fair or responsible now that I have a family that relies on me.