Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #41
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm
I think it's mostly emergency c sections that are really bad. It doesn't seem like scheduled ones are that bad.
I had an emergency c section two weeks ago today and it wasn't that bad.

Definitely stay on top of the pain meds. They gave me Norco and the original dose was 2 and a Motrin 600 but that second norco made me too sleepy so I told them I'd just like one with the motrin. And that was fine, until i wound up having an allergic reaction to it the night after I came home from the hospital. At that point I was 5 days post partum though and the pain was manageable with the Motrin 600. And take the stool softeners..

Mesh panties definitely. yoga pants too, pulled up past your incision. It made me feel like I had more support there. Also seconding ice on the incision.

I had an epidural and a spinal, I believe. My transfer to a c-section happened super fast because ds didn't have good heart tones but the anesthesiologist was awesome. I'd had the epidural before they decided on the c-section but they gave me a spinal when we got in the or. Dh was able to sit in there with me and hold my hand. I'm very anxious especially about medical things so i kept asking them questions about everything, which they answered patiently. It took about 45 or 50minutes 20 of which was them stitching me up.

They did take ds and dh to the nursery to do his checks and weights because of his heart tones but I got to see him for about three minutes before that. They called the or while I was being stitched up with his weight and length. After being stitched I was in recovery for about an hour where the nurse pressed on my stomach, started my pain meds and got me ice chips while takin my vitals every few minutes.

I got stitches and those steri strips over the incision. The stitches will dissolve on their own. Definitely take it easy and don't overdo it. If you don't feel like doing something, don't. Let people help you.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #42
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you think hubby home for two weeks will be enough help? And taking it really easy by myself after?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #43
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best way to prepare for a c/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
Do you think hubby home for two weeks will be enough help? And taking it really easy by myself after?
It might be enough. I had DH home for 3 weeks after my 2nd baby. I needed that help! My toddler was very high energy and I couldn't do a lot with her because I'm still in a decent amount of pain for 2 weeks.

What are his hours like at work? For me that was a huge factor. My DH would leave before anyone woke up and mornings were TOUGH for the first couple weeks because I hurt too much to move fast and everyone needed something at once.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #44
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've had 2 c/s and am having a third this December. Technically they were both emergency c/s but my experience with ds2 was a lot better than with ds1. It seemed like the anesthesia was different with the two but I don't know exactly what I had for my 2nd. I know I had an epi with ds1 though. I did get up and start moving around a little quicker with ds2 than I did with ds1 and it seemed to help a ton with recovery. I didn't hurt as much for as long. Once I got home, I had a little bit of help from my mom and step dad for a couple of weeks but I would have been fine without too. I slept on the couch for the first couple of days since the couch is lower and I didn't have to stretch like I do on my bed. After the first couple of days I felt fine, as long as I was careful and didn't overdo it. I was able to do laundry and stuff as long as I had my rolling cart so I didn't lift anything.
So best advice I have is to move early, but slowly and take it easy when you can.
dncegrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #45
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hubby works long hours so after he's back to work I won't have much help. He may be able to take a little more time off depending on work. I'm not too worried about the after part. I'm just so so nervous and freaked out about the actual procedure. I keep telling myself the US is like number one for c sections so everything will be okay, and that a planned c section is less risky obviously than an emergency.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #46
AQW
Registered Users
seller

I was very nervous for my scheduled c-section (1st was emergency). And yes, it went fine. I did go into labor first which through me for a loop and I had to walk in by myself (without DH) when they prepped me which freaked me out, but everyone was super sweet and they had heated blankets. It is kind of a weird environment (to me at least) but it all goes fast and before you know it, you have a baby. I will say I had a lot of scary pain shooting up my chest when they pulled my son out, but they gave me something and told me it's totally normal and common to have deferred pain during a c. Not trying to freak you out, I actually wished I knew ahead of time because I was already freaked out as it was. I am a total wimp though!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #47
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if you don't have a belly binder to cover the incision, can you just wear one of those stretchy belly bands that are designed to go over pants...only wear it over your bare belly and incision then put pants over it to create a barrier?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #48
Twins811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never had a planned CS until the twins. (Have three older kids who were born vag)

For the twins I had a hard time preparing for a c because I kept hoping the babies would turn head down so I could try vag, but they never did and then I went into labor on my own.

The before and after of the CS was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Stairs were def killer though, for at least two weeks. And three months later I still ache a bit at the end of a long day around my incision. Way longer of a recovery for me, but some ladies have a whole different experience. On the twins board I frequent on babycenter, some ladies were driving like the next day after their twins came. I went the whole six weeks not even wanting to go anywhere!
Twins811 is offline   Reply With Quote