Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hypoallergenic formula?

I need to find a hypoallergenic formula for my 6mo. We already tried Simolac alimentum but there's no way she would drink it. I mixed a quarter of a spoon with 3oz of my milk and she refuses it. It also smells really bad - is that normal for a hypoallergenic formula?
Which one should I try next?
Is there a organic alternative?
I will still be BF her but need formula as well.
Thank you so much!

Advertisement

firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Pollypocket
Registered Users
seller

Most hypoallergenic specialty formulas smell & taste really bad. Have you tried Baby's Only Organic Lacto-Relief? You can get it on Amazon for about $15 + free shipping with prime.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hypoallergenic formula?

I was told that the more allergy free the formula gets, the worst it smells. The amino acid ones I am told smell/taste awful!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollypocket View Post
Most hypoallergenic specialty formulas smell & taste really bad. Have you tried Baby's Only Organic Lacto-Relief? You can get it on Amazon for about $15 + free shipping with prime.
Thanks! But What I need is hypoallergenic formula (for milk protein allergy.) Lacto-relief is for lactose intolerant toddlers, it's a different problem. That said though, the babys only is a grt brand. I use it for one of my older kids.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I was told that the more allergy free the formula gets, the worst it smells. The amino acid ones I am told smell/taste awful!
Uhhhh, that's not good news for me then... Thanks for the explanation of the smell
Old 11-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:

My son's on the Alimentum and can't do Nutramigen but Nutramigen is hypoallergenic as well. So is Elecare but it's even more expensive than Alimentum.

Is there a reason why you can't do cow's milk formula? Have you tried it? I'm not sure what else there is besides donor breast milk or home made formula but I've never tried it or heard much about it and I am against Soy formula

Organic wise the only things I could find were Milk and Soy based.
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son also has the milk protein allergy. Is there a way you can use a SNS and get your child to get used to Alimentum that way? My son is on Alimentum but he had no choice as he was a month old at the time that he got supplemented with it.

A SNS is a supplemental nursing system. Medela has one and then there is another one. It is basically a thin straw that goes into his/her mouth when they are nursing to give more food. It is suppose to help increase supply too.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd say the hydrolysates (alimentum, nutramigen, pregestimil) smell/taste nastier than elecare and neocate (amino acid based). Between my 4 kiddos, I've used all 5 of them.. amino acid based were ultimately what my younger 2 ended up on.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Pollypocket
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by firststella
Thanks! But What I need is hypoallergenic formula (for milk protein allergy.) Lacto-relief is for lactose intolerant toddlers, it's a different problem. That said though, the babys only is a grt brand. I use it for one of my older kids.
Ah gotcha. Wasn't sure exactly why you needed it. Have you tried Nutramigen? It's hypoallergenic for milk protein allergies. My LO drank that before I was able to wean her onto the LactoRelief & then eventually onto cow's milk. I had to start supplementing @ 10 months & my LO has a really sensitive tummy (not a milk protein allergy) so that was just what worked for us.
The Peds GI doctor had also recommended Elecare but we never needed to try it.

Last edited by Pollypocket; 11-19-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Pollypocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, they all taste bad. Its easier if they start really young. I would check with your ped for idea. I am sure they have dealt with this before. Good luck!
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote