Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Harmony Defender in a Sienna?

I have DD (3.5+ yrs, 42-43", 46#) in a Harmony Defender, still harnessed. I've been able to keep her in the 2nd row captain's chair in our 2011 7-passenger Sienna. I tried moving her seat to the 3rd row today (I've been hoping DP would put the infant seats in, but not so far & c/s is scheduled in a week) & just couldn't get it tight enough. Anybody aware of any tricks to help? Would a locking clip help? I've never used one, but could try. Otherwise I'll put her back in the 2nd row, where the seat installed nicely, but she wants to be in the back so she can keep an eye on the babies

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Harmony Defender in a Sienna?

Can you brace your back against the captain's chairs while using your foot to push the carseat into the seat while tightening the belt or latch? It would help to have the seat completely upright while tightening then reclining it as needed. I can't recline it at all in my Jeep though.

If you can move or remove the captain's chairs to give you or your husband more room for leverage that might help too, but I found bracing my back on the front seats helped me push my Defender into the seat further.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just moved it back up to the captain's chair & put one of the buckets back there. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but it should be fine. I had braced myself on the seatback & used my knee to press the defender into the seat, I had DP give it a try, & no matter what, it wiggled quite a lot at the belt path. DD is too heavy to use Latch. Installing an infant seat back there, even w/ Latch, required that I push down on the base while DP tightened the Latch belt.

At some point I'll probably try putting DD's Frontier (from DP's car) in the 3rd row to see if I can get that in there so I can move one of the babies up, but I'm generally in charge of carseats & needed the bases installed for the babies before I go into the hospital (tomorrow, but I wasn't sure we'd get that far).
Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

First, I can't believe tomorrow is the day! So excited for you all!

And second, I don't have experience with a Sienna, but I've tried putting the Defender in a car and no matter what I did, it just wouldn't get tight for anything. It was the back of a GTO, and it has very full, firm leather seats (they don't have as much squish as something that's been sat on a lot), and they're very sculpted with thick bolsters. I gave up. Only time I've ever just walked away from one.

My husband is a very large guy, and he had to put weight into it and pull the LATCH strap from inside the seat, behind the fabric, then pull on the outside. Maybe that could help?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm no help with the Defender, but I do have a Sienna, Frontier 90 and Frontier 85. I have been able to install both Frontier in the 3rd row with the seatbelt without too much difficulty :-) Good luck with the new babies!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know if this is dumb, but can you install with both the latch and the seatbelt? Like if you can get it tight with the latch but then rely on the seatbelt for the seat to not go flying off in a wreck.

I don't know if this is okay, and I didn't look into whether or not it is.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
I'm no help with the Defender, but I do have a Sienna, Frontier 90 and Frontier 85. I have been able to install both Frontier in the 3rd row with the seatbelt without too much difficulty :-) Good luck with the new babies!
Thank you, this is great to know. I'll talk to DP & maybe she can do that for me next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solobluedancer View Post
I don't know if this is dumb, but can you install with both the latch and the seatbelt? Like if you can get it tight with the latch but then rely on the seatbelt for the seat to not go flying off in a wreck.

I don't know if this is okay, and I didn't look into whether or not it is.
It isn't okay...that tight install is what makes it safe. So if it's tight w/ LATCH, then you're relying on LATCH to keep LO safe. Unfortunately, DD is big, the sae size that most kids are learning to booster, but she's much too young, though heavier than the LATCH limit as stated in the seat manual.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So excited for you! Lots of healthy mama and babies vibes for tomorrow Can't wait for a pic update of those squishy twins.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post

Thank you, this is great to know. I'll talk to DP & maybe she can do that for me next week.
Just wanted to add that I used the long belt path with the Frontier 85
Old 11-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess that makes sense. (For the record, I don't do this).