Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
mtnlazuli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vegetarian alternatives for Thanksgiving in a foriegn country

My favorite thing for a vegetarian thanksgiving is a cheese and nut loaf - http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/608...e-and-Nut-Loaf - delicious!! Kind of like a meatloaf but with much better flavor, and it's enough work that it's a "festive" kind of dish that you'll really only make for a holiday. Even meat-eaters like it!

Advertisement

mtnlazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

Just found this website and thought it might interest you.

http://www.recipe4living.com/article...ent=title_link
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to come back and say thank you!! Leah I used that stuffing recipe and it turned out great. I chose to go with a recipe I found with different mushrooms (****ake, oyster and portabella) in a cream sauce, with goat cheese, stuffed in filo dough for a main, it turned out well. I also made grilled asparagus, and roasted garlic and goat cheese mashed potatoes. For dessert I did Apple and Pumpkin pies. But I made chow mein for the kids, . On the whole I think everything turned out well and everyone seemed to eat everything and even go back for 2nds and even 3rds Thanks again!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...quash-and.html
Ok I think this will be our main dish for Thanksgiving. I told myself I wasn't going to do a big thing for TG but this just looks really good. It has a stuffing recipe that doesn't look disgusting to me as well (plus gluten free which is great).

I will still be doing mashed purple potatoes and pumpkin pie. Mine has to be vegan (Tharen and I are both dairy free) and gluten free (cause I don't want to be absolutely miserable) but I love this recipe. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/201...s-pumpkin-pie/ This is quite frankly the best pumpkin pie I've ever had and super simple to make. She has a really great no bake chocolate pumpkin pie too, but it tastes more like chocolate than pumpkin. I saw a new pumpkin pie recipe on her page but as I have not tried it yet I cannot vouch for how it tastes or turns out.

I think I may try to make some home made gravy for the potatoes. I made one with a vegan "shepherds pie" the other day and while dh and I agreed the whole dish was missing something (I'm thinking I may try it again with TVP or beans instead of tofu as much as I love tofu it tends to suck up flavoring) the gravy was really good and really simple.
I've had a shepards pie with tvp before and it was really good, I've never had a shepards pie before so I'm not sure what its supposed to taste like but I liked this version.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #25
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

I like doing fall food for thanksgiving and I'm vegetarian but also do not do meat substitutes hardly ever. Our farmers market does a holiday market close to thanksgiving and l like to try and do everything from there...roasted sweet potatoes, winter squashes, green vegetable like Brussel sprouts or kale or broccoli, mashed potatoes, cauliflower, good bread. I'm a vegetarian that loves vegetables so I just make a whole bunch of veggie dishes. I also like the traditional thanksgiving stuff too tho like green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce (always homemade it's so easy and quick I don't know why anyone would buy it canned yuck!) sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cheesy cauliflower. It depends if I'm wanting healthier and more creative stuff or comfort food.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote