Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Arm roast on the stovetop in a dutch oven?

I have a buffalo arm roast here that has proven to be too big for my slow-cooker. I thought I could cook it on the stovetop in my oval le creuset dutch oven. Is that a good idea though? I know roasts are supposed to work great in a dutch oven INSIDE the oven at a low temperature, but I'd really rather not risk breaking my back going up and down with a heavy cast iron dutch oven. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Arm roast on the stovetop in a dutch oven?

Anyone? Also I forgot to subscribe to my own post, so I'm doing that now .

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 11-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it could be challenging to get a low and slow consistent temp on the stove top. How big is this roast? Could you cut it in to 2?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is a thought, but is bone-in, so I'd have to figure out where the bone is. It's shape would still be unsuitable for the crock pot (mine is very small). Maybe I need to practice getting the dutch oven into the oven and figure out if I can do that when it is full. Thanks for the feedback. I really don't have a clue what is wise when it comes to this stuff.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I do pot roast on the stove top whenever we have beef or deer roast. I don't see why it wouldn't work out with buffalo roast.

I have a recipe called country pot roast.

4lb roast(I have done bigger and smaller)
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp oil
1 1/2 c tomato juice(I often just use a can of tomatoes)
2 medium onions chopped
2 medium carrots sliced
2 large celery stalks sliced
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Coat the roast in the flour and brown the outside in the oil(I usually skip this step because I am in a hurry)

Mix remaining ingredients and add to the roast. Cover and cook on low. When done remove the roast .Blend the remaining food either with a hand held blender or in the regular blender and use as gravy.

The recipe calls for a 2 1/2 hour - 3 hour cook time. I check after 2 hours because mine is often done by then. However I believe yours is much bigger. I would expect it to take longer.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so glad to know someone does it on the stovetop. It's hard to know what temperature exactly will keep the whole cast iron warm, but I'd feel better about not putting my dutch oven in the oven. My roast is actually 4 lbs. I thought that would just barely fit my slow cooker, but it is actually more than twice the size of my slow cooker b/c it is extremely flat for a roast. But it would fit the dutch oven base almost exactly. I'd like to put sweet potatoes in with it, since I have some. So this will be quite the experiment in time, etc. We'll see. Thanks for your help!