Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

WWYD?

I'm trying to figure out care for DD when I go into labor. The hospital is 40 minutes away. Our closest person to care for DD is MIL, who is 1.5 hrs away. Our two backups are also the same distance away. I'm guessing it would take closer to 2 hrs for her to get here since she probably won't just be sitting by the phone, waiting for our call. So I'm thinking it looks like 3-3.5 hours from the time labor starts til we could be at the hospital if we wait for her to arrive. I would be okay with that if this were my first, but when I had DD my labor was only about 7 hours from first contraction to birth. My midwife had told me that second labors can often be about half as long as the first, so I'm afraid of things going super quick and that 3 hrs could be cutting it too close.

The second option is having my mom come stay with us starting a few days before my due date, so she'd just be here whenever we have to leave. My mom is great but she drives me insane at times, especially when I'm already super pregnant and miserable. I don't want to spend the week or so leading up to delivery trying to hold myself back from saying something *****y. I mean, I had a hard enough time during our phone conversation today when she told me DD wouldn't catch so many colds if we made her wear socks at home.

So, since I don't really want to do option 2, I guess I'm wondering if #1 is a bad idea. I guess the worst that could happen is we'd have to leave and take DD with us, and MIL would just come get her from the hospital. For some reason I'm thinking this would be a huge deal, but it probably wouldn't. (Has this happened to anyone else?) I'm not really interested in finding a nearby just-in-case backup person. We are new here and there wouldn't be enough time for me to get to know anyone enough for me to trust them, so I'd rather just take DD with us if it came to that.

Advertisement

Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD?

I'd have her come stay if you don't have a neighbor that can watch her for awhile til she gets there. My second from first contraction to birth was under 3 hours and I went a week early--I did most of that labor at work waiting for DH to get there to get me. (First was an induced birth and took about 7 hours even with an epidual).

Our hospital did not allow kids under 5 in the delivery room and they have to have taken the hospital's sibling class, so in your shoes, DH would have had to wait with her in the lobby and I would have been by myself. That would be uber scary!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-31-2013 at 10:33 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Mama_again_7
Registered Users
seller

I would probably just take DD with you and have the care person you choose to meet you at the hospital.
Mama_again_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would plan for number one. Head to the hospital with your dd if you need to. We had to bring ds1 with us when had ds2. My inlaws met us there when I was pushing.

Also if the hospital wouldnt let my husband in with my child I would tell them fine ill be pushing in the waiting room. I'm sure you Dd there till whoever gets there wouldn't be a big deal then.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using DS Forum
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How far is your MIL from the hospital? Is she passing by it on her way to your house? I would just plan on leaving quickly after labor starts and meeting her there.
menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for the input! MIL is about the same distance from the hospital as our house...not on the way but not out of the way, if thay makes sense.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
risata
Registered Users
seller

I'd have MIL plan to meet you at the hospital.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Asked my midwife yesterday at my appt and she said it's no problem to bring DD with me. I also went on a tour of L&D today and the nurse said the only time it would be an issue is if I would have to have a c section, then DH would not be able to come and would have to stay with DD. She actually started the conversation by asking if we would be bringing DD with us and that it's not uncommon. So that has eased my fears a bit As much as I love my mom, I'm glad I won't be having an extended houseguest in the days leading up to delivery!