Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
millersvictory
Registered Users
seller

Re: Okay, harness or booster???

I love my 90 and the click tight but at that age I think I would just go for a booster seat

Advertisement

millersvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
jg33
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersvictory View Post
I love my 90 and the click tight but at that age I think I would just go for a booster seat
I agree. I love our Frontier 90, and didn't mind spending that for my 5 year old, but can't imagine spending that much for my 7 1/2 year old.
jg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post
The jury is still out on which method is "safer" for an older child, weighing more than 40 lbs, who can consistently and correctly use a booster seat.

To suggest that keeping the child harnessed may be less safe, while technically true because almost anything "may be" possible, is alarmist. We cannot directly compare Swedish safety results to our own kids because we have different cars, different car seats, and different safety features (for example, European forward facing seats do not use top tethers which have been proven to increase the safety of harnessed seats in North America). We can learn a lot from the Swedes in terms of child passenger safety but we must be cautious in assuming all of their methods translate to best practice in America since our safety equipment is quite different.

That said, if it were my 7 year old in this situation I would not fork out the extra $$ for a new Frontier unless the child had special circumstances making it difficult to safely use a booster seat. Just as we don't have any convincing proof that a booster is safer than a harnessed seat at this age and size, we don't have any convincing proof that it's less safe either. You have already reached even the most conservative safety recommendations in the US (NHTSA's) by keeping your child in the 4-7 age range harnessed until he outgrows the height or weight restrictions of his (already quite high capacity) car seat.

If your child were 3 or 4 years old I would have an entirely different answer.

I know that Adventuredad means well (as he always does) but you hit the nail on the head on every single point.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote