Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Having to flip FF at 27 months?

We have a Peg Perego convertible and a Radian. My son has exactly one inch of shell above his head in the Peg Perego. He has a little bit more in the Radian, so I don't have to flip him in that one next growth spurt. Next time he grows I need to flip him in my car, right? Or it's unsafe?

Last week I sat him in a Britax, Nextfit, Maxi Cosi Pria, Safety First something or other, and Graco something or other and he was too tall for all of them.

He's 35 lbs and around 37 inches, maybe a touch taller now, with a long torso and shorter legs.

Am I missing some great seat out there besides buying more Radians that can keep him RF, or do I have to flip him in anything but a Radian bc he's so tall?

I'm getting ready to buy another Radian for a grandparent carseat, but I'm having debates with myself on whether to switch out the Peg Perego and buy a second Radian for my car. I just can't figure out if spending the extra $275 to keep him RF for a few months longer in my car is worth it.

I intended to go RF'ing until he was significantly older but he's so tall, I don't know what else to do.

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Having to flip FF at 27 months?

The Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise/Fit4Me (think I got all the names) is the tallest out there. I would be VERY surprised to find out a 27 month old had outgrown it by height.

Also, make sure you are measuring correctly. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201.

Whether or not to flip her is up to you, obviously. I would do what I had to do to keep my 2 year old rear-facing. My minimum is 3.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida

Last edited by jess71903; 01-30-2014 at 08:42 PM.
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Ola_
Registered Users

Hmm, I'll have to see how much room my DD has. She was about 38" last I measured and 40 lbs and still RF in the Radian. She is more legs than torso though.

How about the SureRide? It's a pretty tall seat but you'd have to try him in it first to make sure it would work for you.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

we are on the lookout for a convertible for Matthew since he's outgrowing the height in his peg bucket at five months
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

My 44 inch tall 6 year old isn't yet too tall to rear face in a Radian, and her height isn't in her legs. She's proportionate, and if anything, long in the torso. I second making sure you're measuring perpendicular to the seat back, not parallel to the ground.
If the Graco Size4Me/HeadWise/MySize is the model you tried, was the headrest fully extended? That seat adjusts so tall, it's unreal. Maybe the floor model didn't adjust as easily, since many aren't to be sold and actually used?

Last edited by Dory; 01-31-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
My 44 inch tall 6 year old isn't yet too tall to rear face in a Radian, and her height isn't in her legs. She's proportionate, and if anything, long in the torso. I second making sure you're measuring perpendicular to the seat back, not parallel to the ground.
If the Graco Size4Me/HeadWise/MySize is the model you tried, was the headrest fully extended? That seat adjusts so tall, it's unreal. Maybe the floor model didn't adjust as easily, since many aren't to be sold and actually used?
I'm not sure which one I tried. I asked for a manual so I could mess around with t and they didn't have one so I didn't adjust anything. If the headrest extends then is that considered "hard shell" above the head??? If so maybe I can do that in the peg. I'm pretty sure that one adjusts.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can go to the top of the headrest in the Graco Size4Me, etc. You can not in a Britax. I'm not sure about the rules on the Peg.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

According to this thread, the first 7 positions may be used RF on the PEg.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post
The Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise/Fit4Me (think I got all the names) is the tallest out there. I would be VERY surprised to find out a 27 month old had outgrown it by height.

Also, make sure you are measuring correctly. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201.

Whether or not to flip her is up to you, obviously. I would do what I had to do to keep my 2 year old rear-facing. My minimum is 3.
Exactly this. Really, 37" is quite early to be outgrowing these seats by height, though it is not impossible. Definitely re-check the way you are measuring.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had him measured by the check person at the firehouse whom I believe is a cpst but he was not familiar with the peg. I didn't have the manual handy. So, I know that in that position with the headrest as it is, he has one inch exactly but if the headrest can be moved then I can position him and remeasure. I need to find the manual and troubleshoot this weekend.
Thanks for the answers, I had always gone off the "one inch of hard shell" rule but I didn't realize if the headrest was moved then that counted. That makes a lot more sense bc he's only 27 mos and that seemed to be early to outgrow in height.