Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WWYD Soccer Edition (long)

I have an 8yr old dd who has been playing club soccer for 2 yrs. Two weeks ago her team dissolved due to political crap. We have been on the try-out circuit and have 3 offers. One we are tossing right off the bat because we have heard bad things. Question is which one should we choose.

Team 1: Same club as she currently plays with but different location. Love the coach and have attended soccer camps with him. She seems to like the girls. She would be split 50/50 keeper and field (which we want because her last coach kept her in goal exclusively and now she is behind on field skills). Close and we potentially have a carpool if another friend makes the team. The team has historically been a boys club (my son plays for it) so its not real known for their girls program (but nationally ranked for boys). She is squarely in her comfort zone with this team. She will learn but won't necessarily be pushed super hard.

Team 2: The premier girls club for our region. Girls drive over an hour to play for this club. We don't know the coaches but the club is held in huge regard by everyone we ask. She would be 100% a keeper but the philosophy is that a keeper is also a field player and they play back to the keep as a technique. These girls are rough! They are physical! She was knocked down at least 10 times last night but so were all the other girls. It is right at the edge of her skill level so it would be hard for her. She would learn alot but be constantly challenged. I am actually honored that she was chosen to play for them but I am concerned that its higher level than her. She didn't have as much fun at this practice because it was hard.

Which would you choose?

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD Soccer Edition (long)

If she didn't have fun at team 2 practice I'd do team 1. I am a big believer that extra curricular activities should be fun even when being challenged. If it's no fun it isn't for us.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At 8 years I would make sure they still had plenty of fun. My ods is playing for a baseball team that we are traveling over an hour to get to practices so I get it. He is pushed hard and loves it. At 8 I think he would have burnt out because for him, at that age, he still needed fun. He has fun now but he is older and knows that it is more than just worrying about having fun to play at this level. I know that is a hard decision to make and congrats to your dd for making the team!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Team 2 - if she doesn't want it then competitive soccer is likely too much of a sacrifice for your family. It's too much time/money/injuries just to coast along having fun where the competition is easy. She can have a lot of fun on a less demanding recreational league.

We have two daughters who now play for their respective universities. One is center mid & the other plays outside mid. Growing up, our stance on competitive sports was that if they didn't truly enjoy the push to excel then that sport was not worth our time & money on a competitive level. There are so many less costly ( in travel/time/money) options for kids that just kinda like a sport & predominately just want to have fun with friends than competitive leagues. We've driven over an hour away for practices. And traveled everywhere to simultaneously play in the MRL & ENCL leagues. It was a big commitment, but our ODDs each spent a couple hours a day practicing skills. They had the drive & love. They aren't themselves if they can't get out & play - it's a part of who they are. So we put up the money and time. When it comes to our 4yr olds, if they don't relish working hard to be at the top of their game & show that burning desire, we won't put our family through what committing to a competitive team entails. They can play rec sports. But, if they truly love something, we'll jump through hoops for them to have it.

Last edited by raymark; 02-13-2014 at 05:35 PM.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
rottenapple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ask her which one she wants to play on, and play on that one.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just want to emphasize that we were competitive soccer parents for 12-13 years. Tournaments fell on a lot of holidays and a lot of vacations were missed because regardless of if your kid eats & breathes soccer or just likes soccer the competitive team comes first. Important school dances were missed because my kids were out of town playing soccer. The commitment is not worth it if your kid doesn't live & breathe the competitive sport. Your family and daughter will sacrifice a lot over the course of a competitive soccer career. I know too many families who look back & realize it was just a passing fancy for their child, they only continued playing for friendships, & what they all gave up wasn't worth it.

Most kids will be lucky to get full rides to junior colleges & a decade of a competitive sport costs a lot more than junior college. And of course, it's also pretty likely that your goalie will suffer a couple major concussions. My girls had at least one minor concussion a year starting after they were 11-12yrs old - they weren't goalies. One is only 5'2" (way too short to win headers) but still had concussions. At advanced ages kids are coached to take out goalies. It's in every teams favor to be up against a goalie they can scare. Then there are always blown knees to worry about. It's a dangerous sport.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My experience comes from my brother playing competitively as I personally wasn't super into soccer, but I wouldn't put my kid on any team that plays her at goalie only 100%. I don't think that it fosters the complete sense of skills that a kid needs in HS just in case another keeper is slightly better than she is, and she needs to be backup keeper and play other positions at times. As Raymark said, the concussions would give me pause as well.

That said, it took me a little bit to consider my response because I personally believe once you choose to play a club sport, you need to be committed to the best team that will take you and push yourself. If she was any other position I would say option two, but I just don't believe in a kid at her age solely playing keeper. It's specializing too early IMO.

I played club basketball, volleyball, and ran track. All on extremely competitive teams. In volleyball, I was specialized as a setter REALLY early and it screwed me up later when I was behind in other areas. Girls from other, lesser teams were in better positions than I was in HS because they had a more complete background. I didn't even end up playing in HS, but that was okay bc I was more into basketball and track anyways.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't think about the one position thing. We have passed over great teams who wanted my ds to pitch for them because they wanted to use his arm. That is not healthy for anyone much less someone who hopes to play college level ball. We were cautious and the team he is on now rotates him through catcher and shortstop as well as pitching. We have just began practices bit if they start using him too much to pitch we will have to make changes.I would think this would be the same with your dd playing one position. I have no knowledge of soccer though.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Team 2 - if she doesn't want it then competitive soccer is likely too much of a sacrifice for your family. It's too much time/money/injuries just to coast along having fun where the competition is easy. She can have a lot of fun on a less demanding recreational league.

We have two daughters who now play for their respective universities. One is center mid & the other plays outside mid. Growing up, our stance on competitive sports was that if they didn't truly enjoy the push to excel then that sport was not worth our time & money on a competitive level. There are so many less costly ( in travel/time/money) options for kids that just kinda like a sport & predominately just want to have fun with friends than competitive leagues. We've driven over an hour away for practices. And traveled everywhere to simultaneously play in the MRL & ENCL leagues. It was a big commitment, but our ODDs each spent a couple hours a day practicing skills. They had the drive & love. They aren't themselves if they can't get out & play - it's a part of who they are. So we put up the money and time. When it comes to our 4yr olds, if they don't relish working hard to be at the top of their game & show that burning desire, we won't put our family through what committing to a competitive team entails. They can play rec sports. But, if they truly love something, we'll jump through hoops for them to have it.
This completely and I was a forward. 2 of my daughters now play multiple league baseball (with boys, both catchers), softball and allstars and travel ball. BUT they LOVE it. If not, the $ and time wouldn't be worth it. Competitive sports are HARD. My 9 year old plays with 13 year olds the size of me, but they drive her and she likes it. If she didn't, wouldn't happen.
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote