Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Washing bamboo vs cotton

In terms of prefolds and pre-fitteds is there a difference in how easily bamboo blend or cotton only cleans? My son is outgrowing his toddler grovia prefolds (bamboo/cotton) and I love them for their absorbency. I'm wondering about ordering some GMD XL bamboo prefolds or diaper rite bamboo pre-fitteds to replace them. However, we will be moving next spring/summer to a place with a water tank, so limited water. I know I'll switch to mostly flats when that happens, but I would like to have some prefolds and pre-fitteds in there for ease of use. So would it be better for me to get GMD XL cotton prefolds or some of their workhorses vs bamboo blends?

I know this is some serious advanced planning but when we are visiting the states in April I will be able to save $30-$40 in shipping if I order then. Also, they would be used now, I just don't want to have to replace all our bamboo for cotton in a year.

Advertisement

Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Kyonarai
Registered Users
seller

Re: Washing bamboo vs cotton

Maybe someone who has had bamboo longer can chime in, but so far my bamboo aios ive had for about two weeks are coming clean fine. I do a cold prerinse, a hot wash with detergent and a hot wash without detergent, just because my dd is sensitive to detergent residue and I want to make sure its all out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Kyonarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonarai
Maybe someone who has had bamboo longer can chime in, but so far my bamboo aios ive had for about two weeks are coming clean fine. I do a cold prerinse, a hot wash with detergent and a hot wash without detergent, just because my dd is sensitive to detergent residue and I want to make sure its all out. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I've had my bamboo for a while now and my wash routine is similar to yours. I'd probably have to cut out the pre-rinse though and change the final no detergent wash to just an extra rinse. The fewer rinses is what has me concerned. Thanks for your input
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our bamboo prefolds wash just as well as our 100% cotton ones. I do a first rinse, hot or warm wash, one rinse. They're great.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Ark2003
Registered Users

The only bamboo that gives me any grief are our bamboo sandy's. Bamboo flats, doublers and wipes come clean well. The stains don't sun out as easily as cotton, though. But they're clean.

Amanda (mom to 5 sweet girls and 1 tough baby boy)
Ark2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd probably stick with bamboo flats or prefolds JIC
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote