Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #41
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Was your husband/partner on board? If not, how did you change their mind?

^ Oh man, that's rough! That can be hard whenever you have to live with parents again anyway. That must have been very stressful to then have that over your shoulders. Glad it all worked out!

3rugrats, I think he just gets caught up in the socialization/experience/opportunities aspects of it, but doesn't realize that it works both ways. That by being in PS you can also miss out on some pretty cool things, may be MORE limited in the people you meet, and may not have the opportunities to experience some other very cool things that you could do if you were HSed.

And I totally agree about the peer issue. While I think kids should have some time with kids in their age group, I think they also benefit by being with younger and older children, too. They can learn from older kids, learn how to work with older kids, etc. but can also then help younger kids learn and practice being a role model. And I think we're already doing a good job in this area. He's in theatre right now and he's the youngest, but it's an awesome group of kids and he loves it (and there are several kids that are around his age, too). He's going to be in a preschool-aged gymnastics class soon, so he'll get time to be with his peers. He plays with his older cousins. And he's an older brother. He's a very social child, so I just don't see these things being an issue. Especially not prior to his pre-teen years.

He's very bright and right now he really loves learning. He's already in the early-reading stages (sounding out short words) at 3.5 years old. I think he'd really flourish by HSing, especially if we are able to continue to put him in these other activities that he's enjoying so far. The place where he will be taking gymnastics also has a homeschooling program, and some "open gym" things during the day. And our community offers some other things like art classes during the day. Our library is wonderful, too. And we have a great children's museum. It's not like we have to sit home and do workbooks all day. HSing would offer a great deal of flexibility that we just wouldn't have if he was in PS.

Mommy to Grant (July 2010) and Greta (July 2012)

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #42
Registered Users
My Mood:

yeah that was very rough. We have been married for 14 years and that was the first time we ever lived with any one else, we had always lived on our own since marriage. So it was completely stressful! lol But, that part is thankfully over, an we've been back on our for 2 years now, and very happy about it! Thankful to my parents for that little time though, because there was no other way of us making the huge move from NYC to the midwest with out their help.
MagnoliaWhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #43
Registered Users
My Mood:

My husband has always been on board. We decided when our first was very young and we were living in California at the time that all our children would be homeschooled. He has become even more on board lately seeing how well our son is doing being at home and also seeing as our son's difficulties(he has SPD) become more obvious. We both realize that if our son was in a public school environment he would be labeled as "the bad kid" because of the way he lacks that impulse control. He has also taken an interest in what curriculum we will be using and even put in his input/ideas as to what to use next year. It really is nice to have us both working together on this.

His family, and mine somewhat, weren't too on board with us homeschooling in the beginning. They have since come around and are very supportive of us homeschooling now.

The church we joined over a year ago has a LOT of homeschool families and we can both see older children who have been homeschooled all the way through. It is nice to see kids that are flourishing as young adults who were homeschooled because that "stigma" is always there when you mention you homeschool.
SAHM to my 3 little munchkins, married to my , and getting back to a simpler life a little more everyday.
foggierbard9 is offline   Reply With Quote