Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
ShailaAnn
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
My Mood:
Question ATTN: Alva Baby mamas! I got some questions :)

Hey Ladies!
So Im planning on getting pregnant with my first in a couple of months and am sold on cloth diapering! My friend (who is currently) pregnant and I are looking into the Alva Baby diapers. Considering that they are a cost friendly diaper, what are your opinions (pros and cons) of the one size Alva diaper and new born Alva diapers?

Would love as much feedback as possible! Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

ShailaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
d_arnold's Avatar
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,563
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShailaAnn
Hey Ladies! So Im planning on getting pregnant with my first in a couple of months and am sold on cloth diapering! My friend (who is currently) pregnant and I are looking into the Alva Baby diapers. Considering that they are a cost friendly diaper, what are your opinions (pros and cons) of the one size Alva diaper and new born Alva diapers? Would love as much feedback as possible! Thanks mamas!
I liked our Alvas and never had issues. The options are overwhelming but I just did the plain colored one size pockets.
__________________
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
revolekim's Avatar
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,839
Re: ATTN: Alva Baby mamas! I got some questions :)

I love the prints! I suggest getting the blend inserts--bamboo and microfiber. They seem to be the most absorbent. I haven't been impressed with either the plain bamboo or the charcoal blend inserts. They were perfect when DD was smaller, but now that she's a toddler, she tends to pee through them faster. I've started doubling up inserts and that works fine. As for the Alva newborns, I wasn't impressed. I wanted to love them so bad! The pockets are so small it's impossible to get the insert in there without bunching. I just had the microfiber inserts, and DD peed through them every time. Doubling the inserts made them super bulky and didn't help much. I don't know if having the bamboo blend inserts would have made a difference or not. HTH!
__________________

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
051698's Avatar
051698
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 373
I love our Alva baby. I have gotten rid of every thing else but 2 wahm. They have a great warranty on pul and snaps.
I used the colorful snaps and wet bags. I would recommend them.
051698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Ola_'s Avatar
Ola_
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,560
Re: ATTN: Alva Baby mamas! I got some questions :)

We use the one size, have been for at least a couple of years now and they are holding up great (DD will be 3 next month). I also have Kawaii and the stitching has come out on several so I'd definitely suggest Alvas instead. When I was first trying Alvas I got one PUL and one minky diaper and found the minky leaked sometimes so I only got PUL for the rest of them.

I haven't had a chance to use our newborn Alvas but we will in a couple of months! My newborn stash is mostly fitteds (which I had for my first too and loved them) but I have some of those pockets to try also. I have the bamboo blend inserts for the newborns so if they get to be a pain to stuff I can just lay them in.

Also, I have some of their 3-layer bamboo inserts that I add to my older DDs night diapers for extra absorbency. They are nice and thin but hold a lot, great boosters.

Last edited by Ola_; 02-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
wisa03
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 87
My Mood:
Re: ATTN: Alva Baby mamas! I got some questions :)

Blah, I found the fit was not great on them with our skinny girl - they would always droop. But I only had 2. It's certainly worth tolerating from a cost standpoint if you need to spend as little as possible, but I definitely preferred some of our other ones. They hold up well, though - no buttons breaking or anything like that (I had that happen on another diaper I paid more for... not cool). All in all it's up to you, if you want something with excellent fit and nice quality, go with something else, but if the priority is savings (which fair enough, there might be other things you'd like to spend your money on or save up for) they certainly aren't unbearable.
wisa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Ola_'s Avatar
Ola_
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,560
Re: ATTN: Alva Baby mamas! I got some questions :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisa03 View Post
Blah, I found the fit was not great on them with our skinny girl - they would always droop. But I only had 2.
See we had a great fit but my DD was chunky, maybe that was the difference? I agree with your idea to just get a couple to start with, I think it's good with any diaper. We just got two to try out also before getting a bunch more and since Alva has free shipping on their site no matter how many you get it's not a problem.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
momEmac's Avatar
momEmac
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 966
My Mood:
I had 18 of them with my first son. They held up just as well as my other more expensive brands. They vary in size and fit. That might bother some people, but for the price, it didn't bother me. I used the bamboo inserts too. I like them a lot. My son was an average wetter and I used one insert up until he was about a year old, then I had to double them up. The only annoying thing is they are pretty floppy and can be hard to keep flat in the pocket until you put it on. Not a problem sitting in the drawer, and didn't seem to shift while being worn, but if I put them in the baby bag I would have to adjust the insert before putting it on. I used other inserts out of the house for this reason. But overall I loved them! I used them for 18 months. I plan to buy some for my 2 month old soon. (The ones I have were torn up by a drier that also destroyed a lot of other diapers as well as clothes, not the diapers fault.).
__________________
Elisha, wife to my amazing husband and SAHM to my beautiful baby boy, Titus.
Expecting our new little one December 2013!

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Catbutt Diapers's Avatar
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,418
Re: ATTN: Alva Baby mamas! I got some questions :)

I really liked my Alva's, but vastly prefer AIO's over pockets. I have never had any problem with any of mine delaminating or breaking in any way, and I have some that have been used for about 16 months straight. The "colorful snap" ones have a double gusset, and are cut WAY bigger than the regulars. The bamboo inner ones are cut smaller than the regulars. Do NOT order the "single row of snap" ones, they are worthless as the wings just droop like crazy.

As for the newborns, I loved the velcro ones, the snaps one are REALLY hard to get a good fit. I had a full review on them somewhere on here, I'll try to find it for you. Yes they are very narrow (and the "old style" ones were IMPOSSIBLY narrow, unfortunately it is luck of the draw if you end up with an "old style" or a "new style" but old style should be mostly gone by now) but if you cut a second pocket opening in them (the inner doesn't run and it doesn't effect function in any way) then they are way easier to stuff as you can stick your whole hand through. I also cut a second opening in all my one-sizes as well, works SO much better.
__________________
Mommy to a miracle baby, Louise.
Catbutt Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
ShailaAnn
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
My Mood:
Re: ATTN: Alva Baby mamas! I got some questions :)

Thanks so much! So does Alva Baby sell AIO's? And when you cut the second pocket opening, did you have to "finish off" anything once the hole is cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers View Post
I really liked my Alva's, but vastly prefer AIO's over pockets. I have never had any problem with any of mine delaminating or breaking in any way, and I have some that have been used for about 16 months straight. The "colorful snap" ones have a double gusset, and are cut WAY bigger than the regulars. The bamboo inner ones are cut smaller than the regulars. Do NOT order the "single row of snap" ones, they are worthless as the wings just droop like crazy.

As for the newborns, I loved the velcro ones, the snaps one are REALLY hard to get a good fit. I had a full review on them somewhere on here, I'll try to find it for you. Yes they are very narrow (and the "old style" ones were IMPOSSIBLY narrow, unfortunately it is luck of the draw if you end up with an "old style" or a "new style" but old style should be mostly gone by now) but if you cut a second pocket opening in them (the inner doesn't run and it doesn't effect function in any way) then they are way easier to stuff as you can stick your whole hand through. I also cut a second opening in all my one-sizes as well, works SO much better.
ShailaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.