Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #51
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Re: s/o Do your kids have birthday parties?

I guess I don't get the birthday party love We get together with friends and family for meals, games, crafts, activities, etc all the time. We have homeschool gatherings at our house on a regular basis, too. It's much more novel and special for our kids to get to plan an outing exactly how they want it, than to have a party. It's just what we prefer, I don't think it's an inherently better choice or anything, though.

Advertisement

Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #52
*GreenMama*
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do birthday parties. My 6 and 3 year old have birthdays 20 days apart, so they share a party. My oldest had his own since it was 6 months earlier, but my 4th is due 5 days before his birthday so they'll be sharing parties as well. 4 kids, two parties!
*GreenMama* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #53
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we do parties almost every year, at least for the younger kids. The older kids sometimes just have friends over for slumber parties, but the younger kids have real parties with themes.

My 6 year old's birthday is August 27th, and my 4 year old's birthday is July 30th. Last year we had a joint party with family and friends (we had over 40 people!) and we did a Bigfoot theme. We hid Bigfoot prints all over our hard, and the kids searched for them, plus we had a pinata. We had a big BBQ for lunch. It was great! We're going to do it again this year, but we're having a Charlie and the Chocolate Party theme.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #54
mkrisel
Registered Users

So far we have only done a family dinner birthday party. Which means about 20 family members and close friends come over, eat dinner, cake, ice cream and presents. There is no way we could stop this before they turn 18. It's family tradition and then the only that changes is they won't get presents. Can you tell birthdays are a big deal in our family.
DD will be 4 in a few weeks. We asked who she wanted to invite to her birthday and it became clear she didn't need a friends party this year. Maybe next year.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #55
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We always have some sort of celebration. Some years its bigger than others, but there's always something. Korean tradition is for a huge party (called a dol) for the first birthday, do that's a given for us. My new avi pic is DS1 in his hanbok for his dol. Usually for second and third birthdays, since they don't have many friends of their own yet, we just do more of a family party.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #56
yukipr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do it at day care. They pretty much do everything. I still like to do the invites and grab bags and of course the piñata. We only celebrated my daughters 3 times at the house (she is now 5) and my son's first birthday. We might have to do his 2nd birthday thou (his first was out of the country with my family, so we might have to do one in the states with my husban's side of the family). But pretty much after that, will be a day care. I rather do it once, but my sister in law celebrated my husband's niece 12 bday I think that 4-5 times. Based on my mother in law, because you need to celebrate the birthdays so you get gifts, which is a 180 deg difference of what birthdays means to me.

Even if the party gets celebrated at day care, I get a cake and we put a candle and do it at the house, but just the 4 of us, with the people that really matter.

I guess I am just "weird".

http://www.facebook.com/InvitacionesIris1
yukipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #57
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do parties. I actually like planning them. Our kids are young (1 & 3) but we've done parties for our son all 3 years, and they did a joint party this past year. We're lucky because their birthdays are only 2 weeks apart. And they're in the middle of summer and we have a big backyard, so it's easy to just have a big BBQ, games, pool, whatever. I'm hoping to continue with the shared birthday party for quite awhile, and then just do something special for each kid on their actual birthday (like they can open their present from us and pick what we have for dinner or go out for dinner or whatever).

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #58
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Instead, we do something and then have just the grandparents and aunts and uncles over...which is about 10-12 people, including 3 cousins their age. So, we will go to the zoo or a museum or whatever and then meet everyone back at our house for cake and presents. I always make a fun cake for them and we order pizza or something for dinner
we don't live near family so for me this sounds like a big huge all out party Fun but pretty involved.
Overall no we don't do birthday parties about every 5ish years or so we allow a "party" My oldest had a small chuckie cheese party at age 6. it was our family (me DH and her) and the family of two friends so 8-10 people in all 4 kids total.. I didn't do any fancy party package just ordered some pizza gave each kid some tokens and we had cake.

She had a party with her cousins (DB kids) because we happened to be in their area at the time this last year (11) took them all 7kids in all to a trampoline place then we all went to lunch at a pizza place and then home for cake and presents.

the other years it was basically just DH and I (and little sister after 7 years) in more recent years we've allowed her to choose a friend to say spend the night, or she might get to choose a restaurant to eat at but that has really been it.

Were having a party for my to be turning 4 year old March 1st at a jumping castle place. We are inviting her preschool class and 3 other kids from the neighborhood if EVERYONE comes including possible siblings it will be about 15 or so kids. Were not doing anything fancy though they get to jump for up to 2 hours I'm bringing in a cake and a few other basic snack y foods *time will be at a non meal time* We will be requesting no gifts as well.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #59
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Because I don't think kids need to be showered with insane amounts of presents just because they are in the same class as said kid. Its too materialistic and places too much importance on one person. We think it can give kids a case of the gimmies.

Classes here have 25-35 kids per class, you have to invite everyone. Just not into it.

To each his own.
We request no presents when we do parties. DD #1 has a birthday in Late October and my other in Early MArch so both are like 2 months before and 2 months after Christmas. No need for 20 more gifts. I also hate the invite EVERYONE or none things. Thankfully this year she has 7 including her in her preschool which is why I'm okay-ed this year We home school after Kindergarten so her next shouldn't have that issue.
My kids get a gift from us and usually something sent from grandparents that is plenty.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #60
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've so far just done family dinners out or a BBQ at our house. I have a big family, so it's a pretty fun time. This year, DD is turning 5 and is in preschool. I think she's just wanting the family party again(her cousins her age are her BFF's). She always gets to pick her cake and we do balloons, decorations, etc. I'm sure we'll end up doing the friends party eventually and I'm fine with that. DS's birthday is August 3, so that may be harder for friends parties, but we'll see.