Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
jayenine
Registered Users

Flats vs. Prefolds

Hello! I am new to CDing and a soon to be 1st time mommy. I am looking into prefolds for NB then merging into pockets (a myriad of brands more than likely). I was wondering the pros/cons of flats versus prefolds?

Also- i see a lot of posts on Wool- what is so great about wool? Are we talking about wool covers?

Thanks!

Advertisement

jayenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
lugnut_9754
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats vs. Prefolds

Have not BTDT but I am planning on using flats instead of prefolds. Here's why:
- One size - I don't need to worry about getting different sized prefolds (I will be mostly using flats from birth to potty training)
- Fast drying - I'm sure prefolds probably dry fast too but I want the fastest :P
- Folds - I find there are more fold options available for flats

Cons of flats
- Longer to fold because they are bigger, also possibly harder/more complex to fold

Wool covers are great because they are so water proof. Great for heavy wetters or at night to stop leaks. They are also breathable so airflow is great. They are pricey but I plan on making at least one in each size to use at night.
Michele (27) - - Waiting for #1 since March 2013 (My Single Mother By Choice Blog) - Follow my journey on YouTube
POSSIBLE BIRTH MOM!!! Due September, just waiting to hear back if she says yes!!
2013 - 4 BFN - 2014 - 5 BFN, 1 Chemical - 2015 - None yet! - Cycle 11 - Testing June 10
Obsessed with , planning on CDing, non-circing, babywearing, and ERF
lugnut_9754 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Flats are great for all the reasons listed above. Folding them can be annoying after you've been doing it for a while (but you also get good at it) however prefolds are pretty much ready to go out of the dryer. Flats wash up really nicely no matter what water or detergent you use. Prefolds clean fairly easy as well, but flats a bit better. I like having a bit of both so if I'm not on top of my flat folding I can use prefolds.

Wool is not waterproof but does absorb some liquid and absorbency can be increased by adding more lanolin to the cover. Paired with a flat, prefold or fitted it is a super breathable combo. Breathable can be good for sensitive babes and for over nights especially. Wool only has to be washed every 2 weeks or so too. You hang them to dry if damp and they are good to go for use again. If they start to smell or get pop on them you obviously have to clean sooner. Fleece is another great lower cost/easy care breathable option. Just remember that wool and fleece are only as good as the absorbency underneath. Don't put a single cotton flat under wool overnight and expect your babe to be dry in the morning. Wool is not equal to PUL in waterproofness.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
jayenine
Registered Users

Thanks so much! I have seen some videos on flat folding and i guess if you prepped your flats it would be rather simple to use them as well as prefolds. Far and wide green mountain is recommended for prefolds. Any product recommendations for flats?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayenine
Thanks so much! I have seen some videos on flat folding and i guess if you prepped your flats it would be rather simple to use them as well as prefolds. Far and wide green mountain is recommended for prefolds. Any product recommendations for flats? Thanks!
I'm in Canada so don't have cheap access to GMD. So I have blueberry cotton and bamboo flats which are great and I also have osocozy unbleached which are small (but apparently they have some sized ones in the states, not here though).

For prefolds I would go with GMD if we were in the states. But I do have bummis and grovia prefolds and greatly prefer the grovias. I like them better for their sizing and increased absorbency.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Agree with what's been said. Just want to clarify that wool can be either absorbent or more on the waterproof end. Adding more lanolin increases waterproofing, and thus decreases, not increases, absorbency. Basically, you can have more absorbent wool or more waterproof wool, but not both. But wool will never be waterproof like PUL. And PUL will never be breathable like wool.

I have tried GMD, Nicki's bamboo, and the old Little Lions prefolds, and GMDs are definitely my favorite. I've only ever tried GMD flats, but have no reason or desire to try anything else. Why mess with what isn't broken? So basically, I'm a GMD fan girl. My flats and prefolds are now four years old, and have been in heavy rotation most of that time, and they're still trusty and soft. And I don't baby my diapers. I treat them like poop catchers and wash them aggressively.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
jayenine
Registered Users

Thanks! I think i will try GMD to begin with, I love how much info is on their website as well. So informative. Great info!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I love love love GMD (I am an admin on their B/S/T board and seriously love GMD) however I have a constant affair with DiaperRite prefolds (www.diaperjunction.com) and just got their bamboo flats and those are heavenly !! Kind of big so not sure I would use them on a newborn.

For the first few weeks I really liked osocozy flats because they were smaller and just fit the newborn better and then I sized up and just used the osocozy flats as doublers in the larger flats. I have tried GMD and Diaper Rite flats and don't notice any difference (I also don't notice a difference in their prefolds)

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
jayenine
Registered Users

Thanks! I will look at the DiaperRite website!