Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #21
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone skip the GD test?

I did the home monitoring with the little glucose meter - wasn't fun, but I felt it was a lot more representational than the sugar-bomb drink. Kind of pissed me off that the sugar bomb would've been 100% covered by insurance and the home testing wasn't... but oh well. Still felt it was the right choice.

Advertisement

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #22
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did the first one and it made me really sick and they wanted to redo it. I refused the second one and just tracked my blood sugar at home. I wish I had thought to skip the first test. If I have another baby I will not do it. I will just keep track and eat healthy.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #23
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Depends on your risk. I didn't have it with my first and I gained 70lbs with her! With my second I only gained 25lbs, she measured perfect the whole time and I ate super healthy the whole time, sweets usually make me sick so I've never been big on binging on them. Yet I had GD with baby #2 even though it all looked perfect and i ate healthy and exercised throughout. My only risk factor is a mom with type two. My a1c was also perfect before and throughout my pregnancy. I did cross fit type workouts for a year before I got pregnant until about 6 months so I was completely fit and healthy. It's not about your lifestyle it's about hormones and your genetics.

Last edited by Jomama2005; 02-24-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Jomama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #24
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did not have GD with my first pregnancy. I was 4'11" and 105 lbs when I got pregnant with #2. I had GD with that pregnancy. I also have had GD with pregnancy #3 and #4. I skipped the test with #4 bc my OB told me to skip it and go straight to monitoring my blood sugar and I required insulin from the beginning of that pregnancy. I also took insulin with pregnancy #3. Now I am 125lbs (lost about 10) and I am bordering being type 2 but still just considered pre diabetic. I just found out I am pregnant again and just ordered some test strips so I can start testing my blood sugar. All this to say I wouldn't have thought I was at risk for GD, but ended up with it. I understand your frustration with the lab, but I generally don't understand why many think it's okay to skip the test.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #25
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yep with #5 I did . Never had it with any pregnancy and was low risk. Barely fail the 1 hr test with #4 and they talked me into the 3hour test which was miserable. So, I totally declined the entire test with #5! All ended well for me but it was against dr.s orders and a risk I took.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #26
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

I declined the testing this time with my doc's blessing. I didn't have it with either of my first two pregnancies. Both babies were average size when born. My doc said with my history and since all of my tests trips looked good she was fine with me skipping it. She did warn thought that if I ever have one strip that looks off, she'd send me for Testing immediately. She just removed the standard testing order from my file so my choice to not do it wouldn't be questioned by her well-meaning nursing staff at every subsequent visit.
Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was not "high risk", and was 110lb, 4'11", first baby was 5lbs 11oz at 36 weeks, and still had GD with #2. I also have had it with #3 (insulin required) and #4 (insulin required). Took the 1 hr gtt with #4, but skipped the 3 hr and was sent straight to high risk and was put in insulin. I think I'm skipping it this time, but only b/c I've already been monitoring my blood sugars and my fasting is usually over 100, and my a1c was already 6.4 before I got pregnant. I think they checked my a1c yesterday. The NP mention taking the 1hr, and I pretty much said "why?" and that my a1c is already high, no need. Just waiting to be sent to maternal fetal medicine.

Last edited by staceyroo77; 03-21-2014 at 10:29 AM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #28
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, that posted twice and the second was edited, not sure why it made a new post.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #29
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah'sMama View Post
I did do it even though it was presented to me as totally optional, I am a petite healthy mama, no risk factors. I did it because I was planning a HBAC and in the unlikely event I had to transfer and was trying to deliver vaginally in hospital I didn't want some grumpy doctor labeling me "suspected undiagnosed diabetic with too big baby" and using that to force me into a CS. I did it just to cover all my bases.
This was my reason, except I didn't have a HBAC just a homebirth & didn't want any hassle in the even that God forbid I needed a transfer.

I had been threatened that IF I transferred & refused the HIV test (which I asked about declining because I am NOT HIV positive, nor is DH, & I had yearly testing for it through many years of infertility, so I knew it was completely unnecessary), they could keep my baby from me for up to TWO MONTHS... but was told that it was, of course, entirely my "choice"... so I just did the GD too because I knew I was going to get harassed about IF there were a transfer.