Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: advil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
It has to do with the valves on the baby's heart and when they close. That's why it's marginally okay to take it sometimes not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879 View Post
It is as safe as Tylenol until the third trimester . During the third trimester it can cause premature closing of bypass vessels in the heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222 View Post
It is proven to contribute to heart defects if used in the third trimester. I can't take Tylenol due to a liver problem so my midwives have advised me to take Advil sparingly in the first and second trimesters if I have pain that prevents me from daily activities (a big headache or when I twisted my knee). With any medication you should weigh the risks and benefits. I think many doctors will tell you not to take Advil because they assume that Tylenol is benign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
It causes the heart valves of the baby to close in utero and can be fatal.

Specifically it has been proven to cause the ductus in the fetal heart to close which as stated would be fatal. It is mostly safe the first two trimesters but not to be taken after 28 weeks at minimum.

Advertisement

EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My OBGYN says never take it at all during pregnancy. I did early in pregnancy (before I knew I was preg) and lost that baby at 12 weeks, we will never know if it was related, but I will never take it again. Not worth it at all. I ask my Dr about it when I read online that it could cause miscarriage and she was like, "Oh, never ever take it. Tylenol if you need it, but never ibuprofen."
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh
My OBGYN says never take it at all during pregnancy. I did early in pregnancy (before I knew I was preg) and lost that baby at 12 weeks, we will never know if it was related, but I will never take it again. Not worth it at all. I ask my Dr about it when I read online that it could cause miscarriage and she was like, "Oh, never ever take it. Tylenol if you need it, but never ibuprofen."
I agree with this, this is what my midwife told me and what I learned in school (I'm an RN).
Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't take it, though I wish I could BC it is about the only pain reliever that works for me I try to avoid taking anything though while prego

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
mamacita1222
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh
I'm sorry for your loss. But you'll never know if that was the cause.

FWIW we had our anatomy scan yesterday and got to see all 4 chambers of baby boy's heart. The tech said "ooh, good heart" and I have taken Advil about a dozen times this pregnancy.

Obviously I try to take it as little as possible but as long as my practitioner feels it is safe for me to do so I will. Proceeding with caution of course!
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
proud2begeeky
Registered Users

This is my favorite place to go for details on drug safety during pregnancy and breastfeeding. They come off to me as very non-alarmist, non-judgmental, just-the-facts so you can decide whether the benefit is worth the risks. Here's the one for ibuprofen.
proud2begeeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #17
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Early in the pregnancy it can cause heart problems with the baby and in the third trimester it can cause preterm labor or premature closing of heart ducts.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

I have taken it once this pregnancy. I was at work, cannot miss any more time and was in such pain from a migraine or migraine like headache that I was unable to sit upright.

I'm aware of the serious problems that it can cause in the third tri. Here's hoping I don't get a repeat.