Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
kittyhaven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pregnant and Feeling COLD All the Time - Normal??

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and feel very cold and shivery throughout the day. It's worse at night. Coupled with fatigue, it constantly feels as if I'm coming down with something.

This has been NONSTOP throughout the entire pregnancy, and also occurred with prior pregnancies. I don't know what to make of it.

Is it poor circulation? Thyroid problems? My iron was checked and is fine.

Anyone else freeze during their pregnancy? LOL

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pregnant and Feeling COLD All the Time - Normal??

I get this off and on and did in my last pregnancy too. In fact I had to buy fuzzy toilet seats because the cold bare seat was too painful! We keep our house warm and lately I've had to bury myself in blankets at night. This was actually one of the first indications I had that I was probably pregnant, because I don't get that cold when I'm not.
aryaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

I'm always freezing. I'm 21 weeks and currently in a ridiculously warm fleece robe. And it's not like it's super cold outside; it's 53 right now. My motto is: if I'm warm, everyone else is near death.
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

one thing I find helps me is to not have something that is super carby... it makes me more chilled. More fats and proteins or fiber with every snack and meal I eat helps a lot. I know estrogen and blood sugar are related (diabetics have issues around their period time) and I suffer from chilblains and reynauds which both flare around that time... so its a hormone/insulin thing sorta.
aryaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

I was cold a lot for the first half of this pregnancy. It was during fall/winter, but I was still super cold when everyone else was comfortable. That had never happened before.

Now that I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and the weather is warming, I feel like I'm going to roast, especially at night!

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
kittyhaven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryaya View Post
one thing I find helps me is to not have something that is super carby... it makes me more chilled. More fats and proteins or fiber with every snack and meal I eat helps a lot. I know estrogen and blood sugar are related (diabetics have issues around their period time) and I suffer from chilblains and reynauds which both flare around that time... so its a hormone/insulin thing sorta.
I was prone to chillblains and reynauds as a teen, but haven't had issues with those in a while. However, in general I do have poor circulation and it runs in my family.

So maybe it's that plus pregnancy hormones.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
kittyhaven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
I was cold a lot for the first half of this pregnancy. It was during fall/winter, but I was still super cold when everyone else was comfortable. That had never happened before.

Now that I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and the weather is warming, I feel like I'm going to roast, especially at night!
I know the roast is probably coming since I'm not due until August 1 and I'll be huge by then! lol
Old 04-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
AQW
Registered Users
seller

I was freezing for the first 2 trimesters of my third pregnancy. It was so weird because I'm always hot and it was summer! But I could barely stand grocery shopping in any cold section. I started bringing sweaters if we were going to be inside because the ac would chill me. And it really bothered me, like I was hyper sensitive. By the last tri I started to warm up but it was also 1,000 degrees in my office so that might have helped! The stupid sub zero temps outside? Now that was another issue.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

could be lower progesterone? especially is the coldness started after 14 weeks.
OR yes, it can be your thyroid.
both things could be remedied with natural remedies if you wanted to try it and see if it corrects it. I would probably eat a ton of hot soup too. I HATE being cold.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
kittyhaven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
could be lower progesterone? especially is the coldness started after 14 weeks.
OR yes, it can be your thyroid.
both things could be remedied with natural remedies if you wanted to try it and see if it corrects it. I would probably eat a ton of hot soup too. I HATE being cold.
I never thought of low progesterone, and yes it did start after the first trimester. Most threads I read online are from mamas who had it during the first trimester...but that hasn't been the case with me at all.

I will ask my midwife at next week's appointment and update the thread!