Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sudden increase in measurements

At my 32 week appointment today, I measured 35cm. At 20 weeks, I measured 22; since then, I've consistently been one week ahead. I only gained 2 pounds in the last four weeks, but jumped 6cm in fundal height. My OB ordered an ultrasound for Thursday morning to make sure everything is ok. She said she wants to check fluid levels and make sure there's not too much amniotic fluid. She made it sound like its not big deal, but not being willing to wait until my appointment scheduled for two weeks from now has me worried.

Experiences? Advice?

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Ola_
Registered Users

Re: Sudden increase in measurements

Does she do the ultrasound in the office or do you need to go to a lab? If it's a lab I would assume she wants it done now so she has time to get the results before your next appt.

So you were consistently measuring one week ahead and now you're measuring 3 weeks ahead? That doesn't sound super huge, baby's position plays a big part in fundal height measurements I think.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ultrasounds are done in the same office. Ultrasound didn't have any openings today, so it was scheduled for Thursday. I figured if it was actually urgent, she would have sent me across the street to the hospital, and she didn't. I wouldn't have thought an extra 2cm would have been that big a deal, but it seemed concerning to them. The nurse measured first, commented on it being high and measured again. Then, when the doctor came in, she measured again and confirmed the measurement.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm trying not to worry about it, but being called in for any sort of extra test is nerve wracking.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I jumped majorly in fundal height with my youngest. It has been around 3 years now so don't remember the exact weeks and cm but I measured l think 47cm, possibly even as high as 49cm, at I think 32 weeks. So yeah really big. I had a lot of amniotic fluid. They never did know why. Just monitored baby more closely. The issue I had was with so much fluid he did gymnastics and wrapped the cord a few to many times around his neck. This caused an early C-section. Other than that he was fine. He is now a happy, sassy 2 year almost 9month old.

I don't remember the exact cm but remember thinking I was bigger with him than I had been when term with my 10lb 8oz baby. With him I measured 47 cm at birth. He turned out to be 7lbs 7oz at 3 weeks early. Big for the weeks but not that big.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 03-03-2014 at 06:02 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just did the opposite - I had been measuring on-par for all weeks (ie 36wks = 36cm) and suddenly now at 38 wks I dropped down to 35cm. I think it's all baby changing positions. My midwife commented on how her head is tucked way back in me (down at my cervix, but now more towards my back/bum - causing awful pain in my coccyx, too ). She didn't seem concerned with the change at all - I definitely can see how babe's position, especially this far along, can play a big part in fundal measurement.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
BigMansMomma11
Registered Users

I jumped this last week. At 32 weeks I was 31cm, and at 33 weeks I was just under 34. My midwife just laughed at me because I'd been complaining about "popping" and my stomach feeling so huge (even though I'd only put on .5lb). She said she's not worried as long as I stay within about +/-2cm. My first LO was breech and I always measured right on, but my midwife said not to be surprised if I actually go down in the coming weeks as baby settles head-down.
BigMansMomma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fundal height can change based on baby's position- do you think baby has chosen a new position lately?

(at one appointment I measured 2cm different based on how baby arranged herself)
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote