Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
kabochan17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannoncorrin
...Babies gag reflex is much further forward in their mouth than an adults, so the episode one of the PP mentioned was more likely gagging, not really choking...
Yes quite so! I had failed to differentiate. Obviously I wasn't quite ready to try this out if I didn't even recognize that difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinsTreasures
You typically start with something mushable in a large enough chunk that they can not put it all in their mouth and choke, think half a banana, large slice of avocado, steamed sweet potato fries, etc.
Their gums are really strong they do not need teeth to eat foods you are giving them.

I would hold off on chunks of apples untl they get the hang of it with the mushable solids- think of something you can squish between your fingers for consistency comparison.
Good info - thank you! I am doing more research! So as you suggested I went with something more mashable this time (banana) and he still had trouble. Specifically I mean he bit off a big chunk, started gagging but got it down, and I could tell he just wasn't thrilled with the whole experience.
So the question I would ask you is: do you think he might not be ready? Or is it more a matter of just keep trying until he gets the hang of it? He really doesn't seem to get the idea of chewing yet. Of course, eventually, he will eat like everyone else...

Really interesting to read everyone's thoughts on BLW! My DH is pretty dead-set against it now, so I'm hoping I can do enough research to convert him, since I like the idea but am also kinda nervous...

Advertisement

kabochan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller

Re: I just started baby lead weaning and I love it!

That's one fo the great things about BLW instead of purees, a baby learns to chew. It is a personal judgement call if you continue trying or wait a bit. My son loved to eat avocado early on (and still does). I just gave him a big chunk. He didn't do so well with banana and the 1 I had was a bit firmer. Mostly what babies are doing at this age is learning to pick up and put the food in their mouth and chew a little. It's really not so much about eating as it is learning.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabochan17 View Post
Yes quite so! I had failed to differentiate. Obviously I wasn't quite ready to try this out if I didn't even recognize that difference...

Good info - thank you! I am doing more research! So as you suggested I went with something more mashable this time (banana) and he still had trouble. Specifically I mean he bit off a big chunk, started gagging but got it down, and I could tell he just wasn't thrilled with the whole experience.
So the question I would ask you is: do you think he might not be ready? Or is it more a matter of just keep trying until he gets the hang of it? He really doesn't seem to get the idea of chewing yet. Of course, eventually, he will eat like everyone else...

Really interesting to read everyone's thoughts on BLW! My DH is pretty dead-set against it now, so I'm hoping I can do enough research to convert him, since I like the idea but am also kinda nervous...
If baby is 6 months, you can keep offering and he will eventually get the hang of it. It's a learning experience at the beginning. If he is younger or you want to wait, that's fine too.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
kabochan17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinsTreasures
If baby is 6 months, you can keep offering and he will eventually get the hang of it. It's a learning experience at the beginning. If he is younger or you want to wait, that's fine too.
Thanks for the advice! He just keeps getting big chunks and gagging and... no one is enjoying the experience, least of all him! He is almost 7 months though. I might just keep trying every so often. Tensely watching him gag is just no good, and while he likes the new tastes, I don't want the rest of the experience to be so negative...
kabochan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
ealfaro814
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started with softer solids but did the same thing. Straight from breast milk to softer solids! It was great! My midwife did say that if they start gagging it means it might be a lil early because there is a gag reflex that they have to grow out of first. My lil guy did awesome and didn't slow down after that!
ealfaro814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
jwallis34
Registered Users

My guy loves the pita and chicken breast bits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jwallis34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
tandjcollins
Registered Users

I just steam or bake EVERYTHING before I give it to them. Baked apples and pears are soooo soft and easy for baby to eat. They will eventually stop gagging. Try and let them get the food out of the mouth themselves if you can remain calm enough. My ds was never phased by his gagging and would spit the food out and then shove it right back in. It is scary though!
tandjcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #18
Polishprinsezz
Registered Users

baby led weaning is the bast. i am too lazy to spoon feed.
Polishprinsezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
an_aurora
Registered Users

You can also start with a mesh feeder. Baby gums it and learns how to mash and swallow.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #20
Polishprinsezz
Registered Users

love BLW so easy and awesome.
Polishprinsezz is offline   Reply With Quote