Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Can someone help me in making flats?

I have been trying to do this on my own...but am so very confused with all the names out there!
I am not a sewer, aside from a couple of flannel wipes I made like four years ago for when dd was in cloth. My preferred cloth method is simply flats in flips. Last time I used little lions flats exclusively during the day and added a micro liner at night. This time I don't want to do the micro thing at all. I'd like hemp or some other natural but absorbent material. If possible, I'd like to create a flat out of an absorbent material since little lions is no longer making flats.

1)So what's the best to use? Hemp jersey, hemp French terry, bamboo cotton, hemp bamboo, etc. so so so many varieties when I look it up on any fabric site.
2)Also, if I wanted about 27 or 28" squares, how many flats would a yard yield?
3)Do I need to surge all these materials?
4) would a single layer of either of these materials be sufficient? As I recall the little lions were just a single layer .
5) anyone here interested in making and selling these to me?

And last, would it be worth my cost to buy material and then make, or is buying from etsy just as affordable? I need like 15-20 to last me 2-3 days I hope.
Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can someone help me in making flats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybissy View Post
I have been trying to do this on my own...but am so very confused with all the names out there!
I am not a sewer, aside from a couple of flannel wipes I made like four years ago for when dd was in cloth. My preferred cloth method is simply flats in flips. Last time I used little lions flats exclusively during the day and added a micro liner at night. This time I don't want to do the micro thing at all. I'd like hemp or some other natural but absorbent material. If possible, I'd like to create a flat out of an absorbent material since little lions is no longer making flats.

1)So what's the best to use? Hemp jersey, hemp French terry, bamboo cotton, hemp bamboo, etc. so so so many varieties when I look it up on any fabric site.
2)Also, if I wanted about 27 or 28" squares, how many flats would a yard yield?
3)Do I need to surge all these materials?
4) would a single layer of either of these materials be sufficient? As I recall the little lions were just a single layer .
5) anyone here interested in making and selling these to me?

And last, would it be worth my cost to buy material and then make, or is buying from etsy just as affordable? I need like 15-20 to last me 2-3 days I hope.
Thanks!!!
I don't have much to share, but I'll add what little I know.

I bought some cotton hemp fleece from Very Baby to make a hemp fitted. It was less than successful, so I've just been using what's left to make three layer thick doubler/inserts. Those are working great. One doubler in a Bum Genius pocket seems to hold about as much pee as a yellow edge gmd prefold.

The fleece came as a tube, which made staying on the grain so much easier. (Some knit fabrics are made in the round; others are knit flat. When a fabric that has been knit in the round is slashed open to make a flat piece, the slasher often doesn't make a straight cut. It can be really difficult to get the pattern laid out straight when this happens. If the fabric is cut off the grain, it will get a twisty and weird when you wear the garment.)

Prepping this stuff was a trial. I had read not to prep hemp with diapers because the hemp oils can re-deposit on your dipes and make them repel. After a couple of washes, I was over it, and I washed it in hot water and sythrapol. That seemed to do the trick.

Based on how much my fleece shrank, I'd estimate that you could probably get two single layer squares out of a yard, with some left over. You could maybe get six out of two yards. Maybe.

You don't need to finish the edges of knits to prevent raveling, but they will curl up on you. That's part of why I'm doing inserts. Stitching the layers together helps everything lay flat.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anybody else?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

i used to wholesale with little-lions, and one time, i got a package of cloth-eez (gmd brand)in my shipment. ll told me that they were all the same, even coming from the same factory. unfortunately, most of the factory workers can't read their own language, let alone english, so the sticker was just misplaced (all that to say that i could sell them, and there would be absolutely no difference in sizing or quality). i don't think u'll save anything making them yourself. i would just get some gmd ones, and maybe a few nb prefolds to trifold in at night
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
katiep39932
Registered Users

You can make flats out of anything, but I think stretchy works best. I have made a dozen flats for my baby on the way. I used some bamboo fleece (left over from other diaper making adventures), waffle knits, regular knit, and even some out of old t-shirts. I just cut roughly 27 in squares, then I serged the edges, but with all of the fabrics I used it's really more of a decorative thing, none of them will fray...maybe just curl up around the edges. If you are just pad folding them and putting them inside a cover, then stretchy doesn't really matter to you...and you can use anything you can get your hands on that seems like it would be comfortable on baby's skin.
Here is a picture of a few of the ones I have ready to go to the hospital with me.
http://www.nomadicneedles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DSC_1711.jpg

Last edited by katiep39932; 04-09-2014 at 07:47 PM.
katiep39932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep39932 View Post
You can make flats out of anything, but I think stretchy works best. I have made a dozen flats for my baby on the way. I used some bamboo fleece (left over from other diaper making adventures), waffle knits, regular knit, and even some out of old t-shirts. I just cut roughly 27 in squares, then I serged the edges, but with all of the fabrics I used it's really more of a decorative thing, none of them will fray...maybe just curl up around the edges. If you are just pad folding them and putting them inside a cover, then stretchy doesn't really matter to you...and you can use anything you can get your hands on that seems like it would be comfortable on baby's skin.
Here is a picture of a few of the ones I have ready to go to the hospital with me.
http://www.nomadicneedles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DSC_1711.jpg
Omg how cute are those knit heart ones!! I wish I had a serger! I'm wondering if they all will be similar in absorbency? I would love some stretch materials....maybe I'll scour clearance women size tees close to when I will deliver...I may be able to catch a deal then! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
katiep39932
Registered Users

You might also check local fabric stores to see if they have any knits in the remnants section. I get a lot of stuff from there. That heart fabric came from a scrap knit bundle I ordered from girlcharlee.com. And, I just used those scraps to make flats and fitteds.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
katiep39932
Registered Users

And, if you get desperate and decide that you don't want to make them, you can always email me (or message me on here) and I would happily make you a variety of flats with serged edges. I won't spam you with a bunch of links to my webpage and facebook page, but if you want them just send me a message!! Best of luck finding something that will work for you
Old 04-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks katie... I'll keep that in mind. I'm due in August, so I've got time to shop some, but I appreciate your offer. thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a way to use t-shirts: http://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/cheap-...m-1-xxl-shirt/

http://crunchyviking.blogspot.com/20...rt-diaper.html

I'm planning on making some like this, I think finding cute brightly colored shirts would so brighten up diapering without worrying about dyes.

I've made t-shirt perfolds and find that they are very absorbent and oh so soft! You could even use smaller shirts for a tiny newborn.

Oh and I recognized your username, we did a trade awhile back, I made your daughter a crocheted toy.
Due with monkey #6 in August
Custom made Crochet dolls!
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote