Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
pigweed3
Registered Users
seller

Weight training at home

Any mamas out there that lift weights at home? I am not going to a gym. I have a treadmill at home or the great outdoors for cardio. I have a set of 15 pound and 35 pound dumbbells. What other work out equipment is a MUST for success?!?! Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Late last year I did a "boot camp" for 2 months and the instructor said for sure to get a bosu ball because it instantly ups the calorie burn with any exercise you do on it. But those are pricey!

Advertisement

pigweed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weight training at home

What's your goal? And what strength training programs are you using?

If you are considering heavy lifting, get a bench, squat rack, and an Olympic sized bar. I'm doing strong lift 5x5.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Definitely a bench. It should do incline, flat, and decline. I would get more dumbells, from 8-30 lbs, and a barbell set. And a big mirror.

Last edited by Mom2jandb; 04-06-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
madweir
Registered Users

I also do home workouts as I don't have time to go to the gym. I started running for at least 15-30 minutes. Good thing there is a park in front of our house and that is where I run. I cut off my carbohydrates intake. I increased my fruit and vegetable intake. I lost 3 lbs in two weeks. I know that is quite very little amount. I strived harder. I started doing cardio boxing at home and a little zumba. I did not lose weight. Rather I gained strength. I stopped for awhile and shift to another much easy home workouts that include planking. I find planking very effective instead of doing crunches. I heard a lot of stories of those who are into insanity workout. We can all try that.
madweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do workouts like P90X, Chalean Extreme and P90X3 all which use weights and I've gained SO much muscle. I would never feel like I got all my body parts covered doing it on my own but that's just me. We bought a set of bowflex dumbbells off craigslist and they go from 5 lbs up to 52.5 lbs. I <3 them.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
CaylaEP
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried Jillian Michael's 30 day shred? Or ripped in 30? They only require hand weights. I think both are a good starting point. A bench is definitely a good idea..Maybe try craigslist for used stuff? There are LOTS of workouts you can do with just hand weights.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You have everything you need to be successful as long as you use them!!!

I have a big ball I use with my hand weights, but it is not necessary. I also have a yoga mat and some resistance cords. I do enjoy Jillian Micheals 30DS and have a few other workout videos for when weather is yucky. I do not have a treadmill, though so since you do the workout videos are definitely not mandatory. If you enjoy your workouts, you are much more likely to do them regularly.

I do alot of walking, even at 34 weeks with twins I walk a few miles daily. I have the time and I enjoy it. I also do yoga and some weights, though I had to stop the weight about a month ago because I was feeling some pulling. Walking the dogs is the only thing I do every day no matter what. I also tend our garden.

ETA: I have found that moves using only my own body weight are very effective, such as lunges, planks, burpees, ect.

Last edited by MrsMartin2013; 04-09-2014 at 09:03 PM.
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
pigweed3
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all! I just got a curl bar off craigslist that came w/a set of 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 25 pound weights for $25! it is long enough I can use it for squats. I will keep looking for a bench that does incline/decline/flat, that is a great idea. My goal is to tone it all up. I have the type of body, I hover always around 125# no matter what I eat (for now, waiting for my metabolism to slow down as I age) but I am flabby, particularly around my lower half. I have a small waist, no boobs, toned arms and then bam, you get to my thighs and its saddle bag city, short legs too so it looks even worse!!! so I really think weights will help me out. I am going to borrow a friends 30 day shred today and if I like it I will purchase. Is there a group or anything to keep updates and accountability/encouragement, etc?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigweed3
Thanks all! I just got a curl bar off craigslist that came w/a set of 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 25 pound weights for $25! it is long enough I can use it for squats. I will keep looking for a bench that does incline/decline/flat, that is a great idea. My goal is to tone it all up. I have the type of body, I hover always around 125# no matter what I eat (for now, waiting for my metabolism to slow down as I age) but I am flabby, particularly around my lower half. I have a small waist, no boobs, toned arms and then bam, you get to my thighs and its saddle bag city, short legs too so it looks even worse!!! so I really think weights will help me out. I am going to borrow a friends 30 day shred today and if I like it I will purchase. Is there a group or anything to keep updates and accountability/encouragement, etc?
The bar set sounds great. IDK about a group, but I could use a little accountability myself...
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
pigweed3
Registered Users
seller

I haven't started working out yet! I work full time and have kids in activities 4 nights a week plus Saturday mornings and Sunday school. Ughh. Help me figure this out. How do you all do it?!! And keep at it?