Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
pigweed3
Registered Users
seller

help me eat my veggies!

You know how they recommend like 4 or 5 veggies a day? I am lucky to get that in a week. How awful! I know their health benefits. I have genetically high cholesterol cancer is rampant in my family history. But I get to the store and am overwhelmed! Time is another factor. Please someone help me figure out a few by steps toward eating better. I am not overweight i just want to be healthy! Where do I begin? How do you get your veggies in?

Advertisement

pigweed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
heatherz1982
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help me eat my veggies!

Try finding recipes that you can incorporate lots of veggies in. Like a potpie for example. Easy one dish meal and you can use whatever protein you like (chicken, turkey, beans), and frozen mixed veggies for lots of colors and nutrients. Here's a simple recipe you could try, I made it once and it was good. I used canned chicken in mine, cream of potato soup instead of cream of chicken because its what I had. I also added a diced onion sauteed in butter. It was pretty yummy.
http://www.campbellskitchen.com/reci...-pot-pie-50701

I also love broccoli as a side, here's a super yummy recipe thats easy to throw together and cooks in the oven while you work on whatever else you're making for dinner.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...ts_p1i1&rank=1

Even if you're making something simple as hamburger helper, try to sneak some extra veggies in it, like if it's a lasagna type one, add a can of drained diced tomatoes. Or add some frozen green peas to your tuna helper. Or if its a stroganoff, add cooked mushrooms and onions.

Check out some vegetarian cookbooks from the library too, if you're looking for some new recipes that really focus on the veggies. You might just find you like some of the recipes enough to add them to your rotation I personally love Isa Chandra Moskowitz's books like Veganomicon and Appetite for Reduction. And allrecipes.com, I love the southwestern vegetarian pasta. And the blog theppk.com is full of recipes that you can try.

You can also try smoothies where you add some fruits and leafy greens in to sneak in some extra goodies when you don't have time for cooking. Hope that helps
heatherz1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
WillowSage
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you like hummus or ranch dip you can just make yourself a fresh veggie tray once a week with some dip. Then you will have the veggies washed, chopped, chilled, and served with dip anytime. I like carrots, celery, green peppers, broccoli, or cucumbers this way.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

My favorites are:

Baked potatoes and green beans
Sautéed yellow squash
Raw carrots and dip
Kale chips
Garlic roasted asparagus
Mashed cauliflower
Grilled fennel
Veggie soup

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
macksmommy
Registered Users

As far as time is concerned- do you have a local coop that delivers reach veggies. We have one and signed up as a way to force ourselves to eat the fruits and veggies.
macksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
munroe
Registered Users

I usually steam or broil vegetables. It's super easy and healthy, you can drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle any spice on it if you need a little extra moisture/flavor.

I keep a few bags of frozen vegetables in the freezer and throw them into just about everything: pasta dishes, rice sides, etc. My freezer always has a bag each of peas, green beans, and broccoli. Baby lima beans get skipped a lot, but those are some of my favorite.

If I have a bag of spinach in the fridge, whatever dinner is gets served on a bed of spinach. This works for basically everything: rice, pasta, chicken pot pie, etc. If you don't like the crunch of raw spinach, you can wilt it quickly in a pan with a bit of olive oil.

Cooking like this, vegetables (fresh or frozen) are the easiest and fastest part of every meal I cook. You can do it! Vegetables are amazing!

Also, we've started serving a serving of vegetables as a "first course" to our toddler when he's most hungry. He eats more veggies that way. Sometimes I sit down with him and we both have a small glass bowl of whatever the vegetable is that night. It works well for both of us.
munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

no issues with eating healthy foods here just sometimes for me I just grab something and it isn't always healthy. Make a juice and hide veggies in? try v8? try getting into dishes like broccoli chicken casserole, shepherds pie, pot pie.....
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
j2wilkin
Registered Users

Stir fries are great for this and are relatively healthy if you don't use too much oil
j2wilkin is offline   Reply With Quote